• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nash to the Windies

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Does the four year qualification period have to be continuous? I know I qualify for dual citizenship, but was wondering if i could represent SA if I suddenly grew five legs and started bowling at 160km/h. I havent lived here for four years in a row yet though.
Not 100% sure it has to continious, i know Ed Joyce had to get an exception to play in the ICC Trophy as his qualification period had only run for 3 and a half years.

But then again Steve Ervine lives in England during winter and Australia in summer and can quaifly for either as soon as his played four seasons of county cricket in England and grade cricket in Australia. Kevin Pietersen played two seasons of grade cricket in Australia during his quaification.

iamdavid

International Debutant
They could do worse than Nash, he's had his ups and downs at Pura Cup level but I always got the impression he was a bit harshly treated by selectors. Certainly not the most talented individual in the world but he's clearly a hard worker and technically he looked pretty solid. Wouldnt suprise me to see him do pretty well over there.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nash is a great fieldsman. His batting isn't anything special but if Ganga can stay in the team for so long and captain, I can't see why Nash wouldnt get a run sometime.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It'll be interesting how Nash goes, because he's always struck me as one of the types who has worked his backside off to get as far as he has, which "stereotypically" isn't what you expect of the current Windies side.
Sounds like a chap Camps told me about a while ago called Theodore Modeste.

Craig

World Traveller
Why do we have four years to qualify even if you still hold the passport of said country? I can understand if for example a batsman or a bowler moved to England and didn't have a British passport and lived there for the whole four years (or how long it takes) to get citizinship, but IMO I don't see why a player can't play internationally for another country he has dual-citizinship and hasn't played internationally for either country in Tests or ODIs.

Unless i'm missing something smack-bang obvious. So clearly I qualify for New Zealand and Australia, on the count of where I was born and Australia since I have been here for 8 and a half years but don't hold citizinship (well obviously if I got it).

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I remember BB mentioning before it depends on the countries laws and who they see as national or not. The ECB enforce the 4-year rule regardless of whether the players has citizinship or not. The main reason for this is so whoever they pick wants to play for England, rather then just some flash in the pan who will play for whoever as long as the get to play Test or ODIs.

I think you will find that Nash would be allowed to play for West Indies prior to the four year period if he proves to be good enough.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Read on Cricinfo or in the paper that Nash is instantly eligible for Jamaica/West Indies given the fact his Father (IIRC) saw for Jamaica at an Olympics and that he hadn't played a game for Australia.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Read on Cricinfo or in the paper that Nash is instantly eligible for Jamaica/West Indies given the fact his Father (IIRC) saw for Jamaica at an Olympics and that he hadn't played a game for Australia.
If he wasnt born there or lived there for an extended period then he will have to do qualification.

What your parents were has little impact on the situation

Craig

World Traveller
Back home then? How was the trip in its entirity then? :p Want yo sig back now?
Been back 9 days :mellow:

Finally getting some cash back in after the bloody pound and euro help send me broke. Conclusion: Only visit Central/Eastern and Eastern Europe only.

Don't mind if you give me my sig back. I'm still keeping Casson's quote.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If he wasnt born there or lived there for an extended period then he will have to do qualification.

What your parents were has little impact on the situation
I very much doubt that's the case. As it said in the article that I read.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Journalists don't bother to do research. This is known fact.

Having said that, the rules state that a Jamaican passport would be enough. If he hasn't got citizenship (likely as he seems never to have lived in the country and was born after Jamaican independence), then he needs to fulfil a 4-year qualification period.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think that applies.
We will see. Obviously Im backing myself in this debate though.

Unless a long term resident or born in a country the ICC dont really want you playing for a country. Its a backlash against the UAE giving out passports for fun to Pakistani cricketers in the late 90s.

Each country is different but KPs Mom is English and he did 4 yrs qualification.

If he does play on the basis of his Dad comin gfrom there then it opens a huge can of worms (like soccer) as so many people have British ancestry.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Journalists don't bother to do research. This is known fact.

Having said that, the rules state that a Jamaican passport would be enough. If he hasn't got citizenship (likely as he seems never to have lived in the country and was born after Jamaican independence), then he needs to fulfil a 4-year qualification period.
Question: If you have a passport of another country, how can you not be a citizen?