• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke - all hype, no performance

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Why? What'd be the point in that?
And yes, I've called people stupid at times - if they've said, for instance, that Hayden scored a century in England in 2001.
Or if they've stated that something that is factually correct is not the case.
Otherwise, I haven't.

your 'facts' while sometimes right, are often not representative of the big picture, and as such are wrong.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
It's possible to know that there are certain rules with barely an exception, yes.
Right so without watching these players you can write them off and contradict the views of people who've actually seen them performing?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
exactly what im talking about :)

with you you dont get a discussion, its all 'im right and your wrong'
Exactly - if I think they know better than me, I tend not to volunteer information at all, merely listen to what is being said.
If, however, I think I know, then I do think I'm right and they're wrong - and people don't often persuade me to change my views unless something effecting that view changes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
your 'facts' while sometimes right, are often not representative of the big picture, and as such are wrong.
A fact is a fact.
Whether or not it's "reprisentative of the big picture" doesn't alter that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Right so without watching these players you can write them off and contradict the views of people who've actually seen them performing?
If there are certain principles, yes.
Especially given that one principle is people tend to be hugely optimistic about young players, I do tend rather a lot to not take praise of them too seriously.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
A fact is a fact.
Whether or not it's "reprisentative of the big picture" doesn't alter that.

yes but your whole opinion is based on your 'facts' which means you dont always understand the greater context meaning that your are often quite wrong. people just cant be stuffed arguing about it

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I understand what is interpreted to be the wider context.
Sometimes I don't agree with that general interpretation.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, Micheal Clarke & Micheal Kasprowicz both finished with 38 runs for the series. All hype & No performance.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Well, Micheal Clarke & Micheal Kasprowicz both finished with 38 runs for the series. All hype & No performance.
It won't last, he's a class player. It's worth noting that Kasprowicz averaged almost 40 for the series with the ball, and Gillespie averaged about the same, so it's not only Clarke who had a rough time of it.

C_C

International Captain
You can only HOPE it doesnt last, Faaip..as do i...but there is no garantee that class equals performance...if it were so, Graeme Hick and Carl hooper would've been counted amongst the greatest batsmen ever.

Son Of Coco

Richard said:
I love the way you post this in exactly the same way marc does...
I form an opinion (not neccessarily immidiately) and don't change it just because something has contradicted it over a short period... for instance, I was not willing to acknowledge that Flintoff had improved as a batsman just because of summer 2003, I waited for summer 2004. I refused to say that Harmison had improved because of 7 Tests in early 2004... and lo-and-behold, I might just have been right.
If something has changed, it takes more than 2 or 3 demonstrations for me to believe it's perminant. And let's just see how Clarke fields in The Ashes... I'll not be surprised if he drops a vital catch or two... just hope it's off Strauss, Vaughan or Thorpe not Trescothick or Flintoff.

I'd realised he was a poor fielder long before he made his Test-debut, I saw and heard of him dropped a whole shedload of catches in ODIs.
And I don't, frankly, give a flying fu<k how many times he chucks down the stumps, he gets a whole shedload of undeserved credit for that - taking catches and picking-up cleanly is what fielding is about, not hitting the stumps. You want to hit the stumps, take-up bowling.

So? Just because I didn't watch doesn't mean I didn't know about it.
hahahahahahahahaha...so when you hit the stumps and the guy is out this is not a good thing? I think you'll find part of what leads up to a run out is the ball being 'picked up cleanly'.

Having seen Clarke field out here this summer I think he goes alright.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
You can only HOPE it doesnt last, Faaip..as do i...but there is no garantee that class equals performance...if it were so, Graeme Hick and Carl hooper would've been counted amongst the greatest batsmen ever.
Fine, but I think it won't last, and accusing someone of being nothing but hype when they are among the top ODI batsmen in the world and have had a few poor months in test cricket is pretty ridiculous.

Son Of Coco

Richard said:
No surprises there. 8-) Because I form my own ideas instead of taking as gospel what everyone else takes as gospel...
what if you're wrong... :-O

Just because an idea is original doesn't make it a good one. I don't ask anyone else what they think when forming my opinons on cricketers etc either Richard, but having played for a while I find quite a bit of what you say very strange. As I said in another thread, it's all about getting the basics first - then improvise...like cricket really.