• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara's 1999 series vs Aus or Smith's 2019 series vs Eng?

Brian Lara or Steve Smith

• Total voters

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think there's something to be said re McWarne about having arguably the best ever paceman (or arguably second best if we think Marshall is undisputed) and arguably best ever spinner.

Like I feel the support staff of Dizzy etc are only slightly behind the 3rd and 4th bowlers of a lot of those sides. Though I agree peak Windies pace quartet is still number 1 without a spinner. SA could have used one in a few series. Pak at their best I can also accept being better than McWarne plus others. Though when Waqar was peaking I think it was Mushy and not Saqlain supporting right?

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
Ambrose has as good a shot at being the second greatest pacer ever as Mcgrath.

Combine that with Bishop and Walsh and I think I"ll take them over McWarne and dizzy by a hair's breadth.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ambrose has as good a shot at being the second greatest pacer ever as Mcgrath.

Combine that with Bishop and Walsh and I think I"ll take them over McWarne and dizzy by a hair's breadth.
Even though Warne offers something different with spin?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
These attacks are on par or better
Windies 80s - yes
Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop - about equal
Donald, pollock. - not in a month of Sundays
Steyn, Morkel,Philander - very very close
Wasim, Waqar, Saqlain. - never knew what motivated their performances, or lack thereof.
Ashwin, Jadeja in India - if you have to qualify with a "in....." then they can't be in the argument
Cummins, Haze, Starc, Lyon - support cast to Warne/ McGrath stronger than Starc and Lyon imo

Good discussion this, though.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Windies 80s
Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop
Donald, pollock.
Steyn, Morkel,Philander

Wasim, Waqar, Saqlain.
Ashwin, Jadeja in India
Cummins, Haze, Starc, Lyon

I am just saying that scoring big in home conditions against ATG bowlers isn't actually a rare feat.
I'm ignoring India here but the bold aren't - mostly that they lack the variety (latter day AshJaddu with Bumrah, Ishant, Shami, Yadav has a shout for variety though) - which isn't to say those in bold weren't fantastic, they clearly were. But for most teams (not named India or Lara), McWarne (and the supporting cast) clearly presented a different challenge.

Burgey

Possibly, but if it was then I think Benaud would have been before his peak. Might have happened on the mid-50s tour to the West Indies, maybe?

Edit: nope didn't happen on that tour

TheJediBrah

Dunno why Australia went with Lee, especially away from home(eng). He just leaked runs.
Hmm real mystery. Probably had nothing to do with him averaging 16 with the ball and 37 with the bat in his career before the 2001 Ashes. Weird how they picked him

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
Ashwin, Jadeja in India - if you have to qualify with a "in....." then they can't be in the argument
I know this is a bit off topic but weren't we discussing individual performances of batsman in a series.
For me a great performance against Ashwin and Jadeja in India is as good as a performance against McWarne actually its even more difficult coz I don't recall many batsman doing well against them.

So for example Smiths performance in india in 2016 should again be rated higher than Lara's 1999.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Windies 80s
Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop
Donald, pollock.
Steyn, Morkel,Philander
Wasim, Waqar, Saqlain.
Ashwin, Jadeja in India
Cummins, Haze, Starc, Lyon

I am just saying that scoring big in home conditions against ATG bowlers isn't actually a rare feat.
Broad+Jimmy+woakes in English conditions would be up there aswell tbh, all very dangerous is swinging conditions.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I know this is a bit off topic but weren't we discussing individual performances of batsman in a series.
For me a great performance against Ashwin and Jadeja in India is as good as a performance against McWarne actually its even more difficult coz I don't recall many batsman doing well against them.

So for example Smiths performance in india in 2016 should again be rated higher than Lara's 1999.
Lara also **** on purple patch Murali during that insane SL away tour, no? Feel that's far more comparable.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
Hmm real mystery. Probably had nothing to do with him averaging 16 with the ball and 37 with the bat in his career before the 2001 Ashes. Weird how they picked him
So just imagine how much he averaged after that to close in at 31 career bowling avg and 20 batting avg.

OverratedSanity

Broad+ Anderson+ Tremlett/Bresnan/Swann and Ashwin/Jadeja/Shami-Yadav at various points in home conditions was always incredibly potent. You cant just go by the names and say they werent as good as the ATg attacks. At home, they were as tough a challenge as any imo. Different story abroad when compared to McWarne, of course.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
I didn't list pre 1970 bowling attacks otherwise Trueman and Statham should be right up there as well. Laker was there too

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Broad+ Anderson+ Tremlett/Bresnan/Swann and Ashwin/Jadeja/Shami-Yadav at various points in home conditions was always incredibly potent. You cant just go by the names and say they werent as good as the ATg attacks. At home, they were as tough a challenge as any imo. Different story abroad when compared to McWarne, of course.
England 2010-11 attack bowled out of their skins. Good point about not just going with names. Johnson 2013-14 series is regarded by many as the best ever bowling in a series but no one's going to put Mitchell Johnson in any ATG teams

subshakerz

International Coach
Series such as Lara 2001 and Smith 2019 are more about the crazy output than the quality of the attack.

Whereas Lara 99 and Smith 2017 are more about the quality of the attack and the context of the innings.

To me though, Lara 99 was unique. You just don't have batsman play 2 ATG knocks in consecutive tests and then another worldclass knock as the cherry on top. WI would never have drawn that series without Lara.

I don't see how home conditions make a difference. For Lara, that may have meant more pressure actually in the beginning of the series when he was being booed.