• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara's 1999 series vs Aus or Smith's 2019 series vs Eng?

Brian Lara or Steve Smith

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The lack of substantive reply in this instance constitutes an admission.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
How was that not obvious? That was the only thing I was responding to.

That's part of why your intransigence was so confusing, it was still a very strong attack. I didn't get why you were refusing to admit that Warne wasn't at his best because it didn't really change the point. You can edit the post if you want but I don't really see the point
I didnt mean to imply Warne was at his best and I obviously implied the entire attack with the throwaway "Peak McWarne" line but literally every other post of mine says he was not at his best but was still bowling well enough, not "crap" as you seem to imagine. I find it funny that you find the intransigence so confusing when so much of it is from your own side.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd put just above Steve Waugh's '95 WI series but below these 2

One amazing match winning double (VVS's has a claim to best innings ever no question) accompanied by 3 important fifties

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Lara because of the quality of the attack. And McGrath was at his absolute peak this series, which is saying something.

Gillespie was pretty awesome this series too, without the obligatory luck at this stage of his career. Probably never was as fast again after his leg injury in Sri Lanka later that year.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As a bowling duo I don't think there's been any better but as a whole attack I could postulate a few. Gillespie was injured a lot and Lee is a bit overrated. During this period the likes of Kasprowicz, Bichel, Muller, Bracken, Williams were getting Test match(es).

WI 70s and 80s obviously
Maybe some 2010s SA attacks
Cum/Haze/Starc/Lyon even could match them as a whole attack

mr_mister

For a couple of years Fleming was really good too and Reiffel I feel is chronically underated

I think any 2 of Fleming/Dizzy/Reiffel between 1997 to 1999 plus McWarne is the make up of our best ever attack. Not sure how often it happened though

mr_mister

Here we go, my submission for our best ever attack. McWarne plus Dizzy and Reiffel. Dizzy got a 7 fer and Reiffel a 5 fer in this match so it's fair to say they were bowling quite well to take so many wickets off McGrath and Warne in England

I think 1997 is considered to be a smidge before McGrath's peak, but he had taken 8-38 earlier in the series so maybe it was the right at the beginning

Funnily enough, this series contained Dizzy and Kaspers best ever bowling performances and McGrath's second best. We had 5 bowlers take 5 fers, 4 got 6 fers and 3 got 7 fers. Dunno how often that's been done, especially the three 7 fers

mr_mister

Did that happen while Lee was at his best? I know Dizzy's leg injury opened the door for Lee who had that killer first two years, but I remember Miller being in the side a lot around then instead of Warne and Dizzy. Hell maybe a side with Miller deserves a mention

I know in 2001 ashes it was Dizzy Lee McWarne but Lee averaged 55 and was definitely below Reiffel level at that time

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
These attacks are on par or better
Windies 80s
Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop
Donald, pollock.
Steyn, Morkel,Philander
Wasim, Waqar, Saqlain.
Ashwin, Jadeja in India
Cummins, Haze, Starc, Lyon

I am just saying that scoring big in home conditions against ATG bowlers isn't actually a rare feat.