• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara's 1999 series vs Aus or Smith's 2019 series vs Eng?

Brian Lara or Steve Smith

• Total voters

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Actually I'd like to see the mean and standard deviation for the series totals of those blokes. I think it'd make interesting reading.
I remember someone had done something similar on CW (or maybe it was on Cricinfo) and it turns out the difference in their 'standard scores' wasn't as big as imagined? I may be misremembering this though.

Surely one of the maths whizforumers here can come up with something? Theory is that Sachin was much more of a consistent scorer than Lara was (with the opposite, Lara being the big scorer being true).

It's arguably also true for Kohli > Sachin.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Smith has played 24 test series'.

He's had 4 series with >500 runs and a total of 6 with >400 runs. That's 1/6 and 1/4 of the series has played in respectively.

His lowest runs aggregate in a test series he's played 4+ tests in is 313 runs at an average of 44.