• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Katich call up

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
You're not going to slow the run-rate by taking wickets
Oh no, so do explain how Zimbabwe were well in control of that match on Saturday until the 4th wicket fell, and suddenly runs dried up for an over or 2?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Zimbabwe slowed the run-rate by bowling well.
And they were never, ever in the driving-seat when batting.
Wickets don't stop strokeplayers playing strokes - most are incapable of changing their style of play. Similarly, batsmen who don't look to score so fast are changed not by wickets but by stage of the innings.
Getting positive batsmen out is good, but it won't slow the rate unless you get them all out. But it will lower the likely total.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Zimbabwe slowed the run-rate by bowling well.
Relevance to when they were batting?

Before the wicket they were scoring 7, 8, 8, 11 or so.

After the wicket, the next over went for just 4 - so explain that away?

Richard said:
And they were never, ever in the driving-seat when batting.
33 off 25 balls with 2 centurions in and accelerating (see above)

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
New batsmen don't actually do as well as consistently as 'set' batsman - or can't that happen because there aren't any statistics for it?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
New batsmen don't actually do as well as consistently as 'set' batsman - or can't that happen because there aren't any statistics for it?
I demand a first chance average for batsmen before they are set.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
You're not going to slow the run-rate by taking wickets
So batsmen don't need to get set before playing shots? Batsmen who are seeing the ball well don't play shots more effectively?

Mingster

State Regular
Once you take a wicket, a new batsman comes in and takes time to settle in. That's when the run rate slowed.

Richard you're a bloody joke if you don't share that opinion.

FRAZ

International Captain
Richard said:
There aren't anywhere near as many as there used to be.
Collymore and Gayle demonstrated how not-especially-difficult it is on Sunday.
Jayasuriya is probably the best when he bowls well. Wasim was fantastic in his playing days. Gayle himself I have seen do a very good job. Kallis has been good of times, even if less so recently.
Once a delivery is pitched in the blockhole it's near enough impossible to hit to the boundary, let alone over it.
Saqlain and Warne for me .:D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Have I ever said you need statistics for everything.
And most batsmen take a short time only to get "set", especially in the one-day game, and if you bowl Long-Hops and leg-stump Half-Volleys almost any batsman will try to hit them at any time.
True that good length just outside off will generally be a dot-banker to someone on 2 balls, not so guranteed to someone who's faced 30, but you will slow the rate by taking a wicket only for 2 or 3 overs, and only if you continue to bowl well.
Perhaps I should have said taking a wicket doesn't slow the run-rate for a significant time.

Neil Pickup

Take wickets at regular intervals and that 2/3 overs multiplied by six becomes very, very significant.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Take wickets at regular intervals and that 2/3 overs multiplied by six becomes very, very significant.
Regular intervals is entirely different - if you've got new batsmen every 5 overs or so of course good bowling will almost invariably be economical.
But it will also cut down the score because if all the batsmen score not many runs the total won't be very high.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
but you will slow the rate by taking a wicket only for 2 or 3 overs, and only if you continue to bowl well.
In a 50 over match, that is a big portion, especially at the right time...

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:
There aren't anywhere near as many as there used to be.
Collymore and Gayle demonstrated how not-especially-difficult it is on Sunday.
Jayasuriya is probably the best when he bowls well. Wasim was fantastic in his playing days. Gayle himself I have seen do a very good job. Kallis has been good of times, even if less so recently.
Once a delivery is pitched in the blockhole it's near enough impossible to hit to the boundary, let alone over it.
I have never seen Kallis bowl well in the death.

Even Brett Lee has had some fun against Kallis in the last few overs off ODI's.

db_927

Cricket Spectator
One player who has an amazing record in one form of the game yet has failed in tests in Michael Bevan:duh: :O :O :P

GO NEW SOUTH WALES!!!!