• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Katich call up

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:
Kallis was brilliant in 1998-2000.
Before Lee's time.
Ok then but since 2000-2001 he has never looked any good bowling at the death that I have seen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:
Ok then but since 2000-2001 he has never looked any good bowling at the death that I have seen.
No, he's rather lost it.
But really, he used to be very, very good.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Eclipse said:
I have never seen Kallis bowl well in the death.

Even Brett Lee has had some fun against Kallis in the last few overs off ODI's.
26 off Lee's bat and 27 from the over, I believe. Equalling some recent Shaun Pollock magic.
That was actually off Allan Donald :P :P
In the final prelim match of the 2001/02 VB series , Lehmann got a one from the 1st ball , then Lee went for 6 straight over Donald's head , a little upper cut over third man for 4 , another straight 6 , then Donald bowled a yorker & he clipped it through square leg for4 , then off the last ball he tried a slower ball & it got hit 10 rows back.

Its kinda sad that I remember that off the top of my head :lol: :saint:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not half as sad as it is that rubbish sloggers like Lee could hit 26 off 5 balls from an all-time great bowler.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:
Not half as sad as it is that rubbish sloggers like Lee could hit 26 off 5 balls from an all-time great bowler.
lol you really are sad.

Donald was passed it by that stage of his carear and that's not Lee's fault.

It's not like he exibited any luck in scoring those runs they were proper shots.

iamdavid said:
That was actually off Allan Donald :P :P
In the final prelim match of the 2001/02 VB series , Lehmann got a one from the 1st ball , then Lee went for 6 straight over Donald's head , a little upper cut over third man for 4 , another straight 6 , then Donald bowled a yorker & he clipped it through square leg for4 , then off the last ball he tried a slower ball & it got hit 10 rows back.

Its kinda sad that I remember that off the top of my head :lol: :saint:
I seem to recall one of those sixes landing on a sunshade and taking a few minutes to retrieve (or maybe it rolled off :D, I dunno). Either way it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. The sunshade makes me think it was at the WACA. David?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
rubbish sloggers like Lee

hes actually a pretty useful lower order batsman (most of his runs dont actually come from slogs) - which you would know if you had ever seen him bat...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Richard said:
I am perfectly aware he has only played 2 games against Bangladesh.
If you wish to view an average difference of over 1 and an econ. difference of 0.05 "pretty much the same" then, well, I can only say I sincerely disagree.
However, not as much as I disagree with the notion that an economy-rate of 4.77-an-over, especially combined with an average of 31.68, is good.
That is very, very poor, death-bowler or not.
A good bowler in one-day cricket simply cannot go for more than 4.5-an-over throughout a career.
Apologism for mediocrity.
These are teh Austarlianb bowling figures for teh VB Series:

Name Mts Overs Runs Wkts RPO Avg

Williams 7 49 200 12 4.1 16.67
Lee 6 47 212 8 4.5 26.50
Symonds 7 58 292 10 5.0 29.20
Hogg 3 20 76 2 3.8 38.00
Gillespie 6 58 252 6 4.3 42.00
Harvey 8 34 195 4 5.7 48.75
Clarke 8 30 168 3 5.6 56.00
Bichel 6 37 197 3 5.3 65.67
Hussey 1 3 15 0 5.0 N/A

Only 3 bowlers have gone for less that 4.5 per over (Im not going to coutn Hoghg becuase he only played against Zimababwe). ANd only two averaged below 27. An economy rate or 4.7 isnt bad at all, but Harvey has ben very disappointing in this series, and I dont really rate him, but he has good figures for someone who bowls at the death. If everyone went for under 4.5 rpo, then they would be no score above 225! And thats simply not gpoing to happen!

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:

A good bowler in one-day cricket simply cannot go for more than 4.5-an-over throughout a career.
Apologism for mediocrity.
Shoaib Akhtar: Avg. 21.74, Econ: 4.5
Waqar Younis: Avg. 23.84, Econ: 4.7

Are these not good bowlers?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Adamc said:

according to richards theories no, they try and take wickets instead of keeping the rusn down which is not as good in richards books....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Adamc said:

Yes, and both will be very disappointed with their economy-rates.
Shoaib, fortunately, will have the opportunity to bring it down and, recently, it's been dropping like a stone.
Waqar's was also under 4.5 not so very long ago.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
hes actually a pretty useful lower order batsman (most of his runs dont actually come from slogs) - which you would know if you had ever seen him bat...
Still clutching at the same old straws, eh?
Lee is a poor excuse for a "useful" lower-order batsman - any decent bowler will do for him very quickly.
It is a great shame that Donald (who most certainly was not "past it" at the time, if ever) was hit for as many runs by a batsman of such low ability.
Whether they were good strokes or not, it is still a shame, if you are me, to see a good bowler going for 26 in an over from someone who doesn't score many runs for obvious reasons.
You may enjoy it; that's up to you. But I revile at it.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Still clutching at the same old straws, eh?
Lee is a poor excuse for a "useful" lower-order batsman - any decent bowler will do for him very quickly.

once again its very obvious from what your saying that you haven't really seen him bat, so maybe you should listen to others that have watched him bat or watch him yourself before making a judgement on him batting....

and for our Pakistani quicks, i dont think tyhey are that worried about economy rates, they are more conerned with bowling sides out, akhtars SR of 43.5 in tests and 28.9 in ODI's schows that...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've seen Lee bat in at least 20 innings.
Rarely has he looked but clueless.
Don't tar all Pakistani bowlers with that brush - look at Imran and Wasim first. Then check-out Shoaib's ER since his most recent recall, in all forms and levels of the game (domestic, international, First-Class, Lim-Ov).
Good bowlers do realise that ER is important, especially in ODIs. And it seems Shoaib has finally realised that for a long haul.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Good bowlers do realise that ER is important, especially in ODIs. And it seems Shoaib has finally realised that for a long haul.
yes, but good bowlers realise that there are 10 wickets to be taken in an innings and that is more improtant than keeping it tight. lower ERs often flow from taking wickets.