• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacob Oram - more speed please?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kent said:
Speaking of Flintoff, has he always been able to reach 90mph?

I seem to remember him during Astle's 222 as being pretty gentle, so maybe there's hope for Oram yet. Perhaps Braces could get a big ute behind him and chase him to the crease a bit faster!
Flintoff bowled several deliveries in the 90s during the Astle innings. Like most of the other bowlers, plenty were despatched to the boundary or over it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mingster said:
Well you should have rephrased your comment then shouldn't you?

When the conditions suit Oram, he can swing the ball. But it's not his action, it's his style. He's more of a "bounce" bowler.
His "style", eh? Well apart from anything else, being a bowler mostly reliant on bounce is not going to get you much success.
And what is style defined by? Action, amongst other things.

Mingster

State Regular
Mr Dickinson,

Do you still not rate Jacob Oram as an international-class ODI bowler?

Regards,

Ray

Mingster

State Regular
Richard said:
His "style", eh? Well apart from anything else, being a bowler mostly reliant on bounce is not going to get you much success.
Difference between Oram and Franklin - one bowls mainly a back of a good length and one attempts to bowl full trying to swing the ball.

Different between Cairns and Martin - Cairns bowls shorter on the whole than Martin who pitches it up to try and get swing.

The actions didn't dictate what they bowl. Perhaps if you play some cricket you might understand.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
An international-class one-day-international bowler, eh? Interesting turn of phrase there.
No, I don't think this lot of bowler-friendly conditions prove any more than the Bank-Alfalah Cup did. I do think the TVS Cup was more revealing.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Because that only made players look bad, and let's face it, that is all you watch Cricket for, the chance to criticise players for perceived injustices.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mingster said:
Difference between Oram and Franklin - one bowls mainly a back of a good length and one attempts to bowl full trying to swing the ball.

Different between Cairns and Martin - Cairns bowls shorter on the whole than Martin who pitches it up to try and get swing.

The actions didn't dictate what they bowl. Perhaps if you play some cricket you might understand.
I play cricket, and I watch a hell of a lot of it, at a hell of a lot of different levels.
There's nothing wrong with Martin's action, but he's not exactly what you'd call a consistent swing bowler. There have been 2 or 3 occasions which he has struggled to swing the ball and hence proved innocuous.
Franklin's action is about perfect for outswing-to-the-left-hander. He wouldn't swing it as much as he does if it were different.
But basically what you are saying is style is defined by length that comes naturally. Yes, that is another contributory factor.

Mingster

State Regular
Richard said:
An international-class one-day-international bowler, eh? Interesting turn of phrase there.
No, I don't think this lot of bowler-friendly conditions prove any more than the Bank-Alfalah Cup did. I do think the TVS Cup was more revealing.
Because a few months ago you said Oram was not "a class ODI bowler" and totally said that he world ranking of 7th in the world was not deserved.

Under your "criteria", any bowler who has a RPO under 4.5 is a good ODI bowler. Or is there exceptions in this case because it's Jacob Oram?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Because that only made players look bad, and let's face it, that is all you watch Cricket for, the chance to criticise players for perceived injustices.
Rubbish.
And if you think about it if some players look bad others must look good.
I like it when cricketers I believe are good get stats that make them look good. And vice-versa with bad cricketers.

Mingster

State Regular
So Dickinson, what you are trying to say is that a bowler bowls short is because his action only allows it to do so. And a bowler who bowls full, only bowls full because it's action can't allow it to bowl short?

What nonsense.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mingster said:
Because a few months ago you said Oram was not "a class ODI bowler" and totally said that he world ranking of 7th in the world was not deserved.

Under your "criteria", any bowler who has a RPO under 4.5 is a good ODI bowler. Or is there exceptions in this case because it's Jacob Oram?
I have never said anythiing of the sort. 4.4-an-over is still a pretty poor ER. You've got to get your ER under 4.3-an-over to be considered reasonable and under 4.1 to be considered very good.
Oram's ranking will presumably be boosted by this tournament (though with those insane rankings you never know) but I can certify that his ranking I took umbrage with was 9th.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mingster said:
So Dickinson, what you are trying to say is that a bowler bowls short is because his action only allows it to do so. And a bowler who bowls full, only bowls full because it's action can't allow it to bowl short?

What nonsense.
What the devil are you trying to twist stuff into now?

Mingster

State Regular
Richard said:
I have never said anythiing of the sort. 4.4-an-over is still a pretty poor ER. You've got to get your ER under 4.3-an-over to be considered reasonable and under 4.1 to be considered very good.
Oram's ranking will presumably be boosted by this tournament (though with those insane rankings you never know) but I can certify that his ranking I took umbrage with was 9th.

Umm you have said these things. You said that you can only be considered a good ODI bowler if you are under an RPO of 4.5. And you also said that having a ODI bowling average of say 21 is the same as say 40 because wickets don't mean anything in ODI cricket.

Oram is actually 7th in teh world now.

And Dickinson, aren't you also the one who says wickets don't slow the run rate down even thought many of the world's past great cricketers say it does? But of course, only Richard's imaginary statistics matter.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
I like it when cricketers I believe are good get stats that make them look good. And vice-versa with bad cricketers.

So still trust your own opinion better than that of the general public...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:

Yes because the average score in an ODI is around 200 isn't it?

Oh I forgot it isn't, and almost nobody by your reckoning is even reasonable.

And you still say you don't like it when people look bad?

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
if i remember correctly didnt you say the same about steve-wayward-harmison?
sry but i had to bring that up :p

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
so an E/R of 4.21(at an average of 21) in the wc and an E/R of 4.09 in pakistan doesnt mean much either?