• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would 80s WI and 2000s Australia fare in unbeatable current India?

subshakerz

International Coach
It also means that better bowlers, suited to those conditions, would take more wickets. I'd back our bowlers to dismiss the opposition more often/quickly on such tracks!
Under that logic, Aus and WI should never have won in India previously. But they did.

Socerer 01

International Captain
They are playing in India though. Cricket is all about conditions

I think Aus would fare better with Warne and McGill
yeah thats why i said it would be 2-1 or 2-2 for Australia with my only doubt about that Australia team being they may not have faced a combined spin and pace bowling attack during that time period

R!TTER

State Regular
Cummins is definitely better than anyone bar McGrath in the last 30+ years, the rest are hard to gauge because pitches in Oz were absolutely flat in 2k's even till say 2015 India tour down under. They had no DRS back then so Lee/Gillespie's numbers suffered a bit.
Under that logic, Aus and WI should never have won in India previously. But they did.
We've had our best ever bowling attack in this period, our best WK/bat & the best lower order batters as well. If you take out catching this team would probably beat any other Indian team in these conditions as well.

Sunil1z

International Regular
How do you suppose they'll get the wickets?
Dry up the runs by bowling tight lines and inducing false shots . Similar to what Aussie pace attack does in Aus . If you dry up the runs , wickets will fall ultimately except Pujara maybe .

Xix2565

International Regular
When they won they had the better bowlers ffs. Are you deliberately this dumb, R!TTER made a perfectly sensible point and you're in tangles trying to be an idiot about what is basic cricketing logic.

subshakerz

International Coach
so why have fast bowlers like Cummins or Rabada not won series for their teams then? they may not be comparable in stature and skill to Marshall but they’re not **** either
Marshall, Holding and Roberts have pretty decent SC samples to suggest they would be threats.

Xix2565

International Regular
Dry up the runs by bowling tight lines and inducing false shots . Similar to what Aussie pace attack does in Aus . If you dry up the runs , wickets will fall ultimately except Pujara maybe .
In Australia you have bounce and carry generally that isn't as present in India. You can still bowl dry in India, but it's not going to be that successful with pace overall since it's far more exhausting in general when you don't have much support from the pitches. Australia needed conducive pitches to be successful and weren't far off not winning the series all things considered, and that was an ATG side vs a weaker Indian side missing players here and there.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Marshall, Holding and Roberts have pretty decent SC samples to suggest they would be threats.
yeah because they were bowling to the SC teams of that time

as much as we all meme on India’s batting woes atm or their susceptibility to spin they were ****ing good batsmen at their peak

Socerer 01

International Captain
what does what the Aussie pace attack do in Aus have to do with bowling in India :laugh:

and if its supposed to work why havent the Aussie pace attack done that and been successful in India now?

subshakerz

International Coach
yeah because they were bowling to the SC teams of that time

as much as we all meme on India’s batting woes atm or their susceptibility to spin they were ****ing good batsmen at their peak
Wow so Marshall, Roberts and Holding are not even threat level to you in SC. Got it.

subshakerz

International Coach
And they likely wouldn't today because - IPL ✌
IPL will mean McGrath/Gillespie are more not less of a threat.

I have yet to see any evidence provided by the other side btw that Kohli et al are more equipped against Warne/MacGill than their opponents.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Have Kohli's India faced any bowling lineup approaching the quality of WI and Aus? No.
this is the type of ridiculous strawman that keeps snuck in and after a page or two of repeated determined posting is accepted as gospel

Kohli’s India have faced

the best South African pace attack to have ever played cricket together internationally and a good spinner to support them on the spiced up pitches of 2018

the best Australian pace trio and a good spinner in support on 2 tours and at home

the best Kiwi bowling attack

an atg spinner from Sri Lanka

Bangladesh’s best bowling attack

an atg England pace bowler and his able atvg bowling partner together who are one of the best opening bowling pairs in test history

but yeah sure, they havent faced anyone approaching the quality of those sides 8-)

Sunil1z

International Regular
what does what the Aussie pace attack do in Aus have to do with bowling in India :laugh:

and if its supposed to work why havent the Aussie pace attack done that and been successful in India now?
If Bumrah, Umesh and Shami can be highly successful in IND so can WI of 80s or Aus of 99-07 .

Gob

International Coach
Waiting for a batsman's mistake is not the ideal blue print of winning games

All I'm saying is that when Larry Gomez is your front line spinner, it'll always be an uphill battle to beat, what is statistically at least, the greatest home team of all time and their strength is spin. Cricket is a condition based game so no matter how good you are, if the conditions are against you, it'll cripple you. I mean would a bowling attack of Warne, Murali, O'Reilly, Ashwin and Ben Stokes would win you a game against a strong home Australian side at the old Perth ground? I'd say no and that is the spinning equivalent of WI attack

Reverse swing is the only way for sustainable success and someone from that WI attack would have to generate it

Socerer 01

International Captain
If Bumrah, Umesh and Shami can be highly successful in IND so can WI of 80s or Aus of 99-07 .
oh my ****ing god how do you keep ignoring that Bumrah and co have Ashwin and Jadeja for support as spinners and that West Indies team have no one barring Roger Harper who they may not even play because they were too alpha to????

at this point i cant argue with you since you just keep going in circles and random tangents and shifting goalposts