• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest moment for your country?

delkap

State Vice-Captain
For India

1. Beating Aussies 2-1 in 2001 Test series after following on in Kolkata Test, and stopping the World Record Streak (my favourite)
2. World Cup 83
3. Bangladesh Independence Cup Final - Ind beat Pak in Dhaka chasing 314 in 48 overs in dark..
4. Test series win in Pak
5. Performance this year in test series in Aus (1-1)

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:

When was the last time England won a European Championship?
Which is suppposed to make us inferior to teams that can't beat the Solomon Islands/Tahiti in what way?

Craig

World Traveller
Well Australia never actually lost to the Solomons.

Anyway England successfully managed to lose to Australia in your own backyard.

I remember reading it in the papers here that Sven should be sacked/resign after that loss.

Friendly or not, it was embrassing for a side constantly in the top 10.

twctopcat

International Regular
Craig said:
Well Australia never actually lost to the Solomons.

Anyway England successfully managed to lose to Australia in your own backyard.

I remember reading it in the papers here that Sven should be sacked/resign after that loss.

Friendly or not, it was embrassing for a side constantly in the top 10.
England are number 13 in the world last time i checked. As for friendlies they are ten a penny here in England and whilst i have no doubt that that match was the biggest match of last year for Oz, as much as England don't like losing, so many pointless friendlies makes it hard to be motivated for the occasion. Sad but true.
On our day we would own oz, and anyone with an ounce of football knowledge would agree. The only time Oz came close to the WC finals was because you had an english coach, simple as that.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
orangepitch said:
- India vs Aus 2001......best.series.ever. :football:
- World cup 83 ( beating WI 2-1 , Aus 1-1 , Eng 1-0 , Two great comebacks in the game vs Zim and the final) :band:
- Beating Pakistan 4-0 in World cups after starrting as underdogs in atleast 3 of those matches.
- Indias overall record at the ICC Champions Trophy...beating Aus 2-0 in the league stages , beating Saf 2-0 in the semis. Sending Aus back home 48 hours after they had landed in Dhaka for the Knockout :stretcher . In the 2002 Champions trophy , coming back from the dead against Zim ( Kaif scoring a century coming in at no7) , knocking the stuffing out of England , choking Saf to death in a match they should have won easily ( that has to be the most ridiculous match played by Saf :goof: ) ,Leading in both finals against Sri Lanka.( Damn rain :mad2: )
-Chasing 406 to win vs Windies :notworthy
-Chasing 316 vs Pakistan , 326 vs England , 325 vs Windies to win :flex:
-2003 WC , reaching the final :dj:
-2003-04 tour of Aus tests :hockey:
-Historic tour of Pakistan :inlove:
Great list.

Add to that being bowled out for 128 in a Sharjah final by Pakistan and bundling them out for less than 100 on a dead track !! Gavaskar getting the only man of the match award in history given to a fielder for firlding alone for his four catches at slips.

Craig

World Traveller
I should remind you I am not Australian.

Australia got to the play off stage against Uruguay and AFAIK Frank Farina is Australian.

Australia played pretty well v Turkey (they played better then the scoreline suggested) especially when there was no Viduka, Kewell, Moore (well he is the captain) amomgst others, and were a good lead up to Oceania WC qualifyers.

Football isn't that big of a sport in New Zealand (compared to rugby, and it is really 3rd or 4th popular sport). Face it, David Mulligan (Doncaster), Chris Killen (Oldham), and goalkeeper Mark Paston (now Walsall) are the only Kiwi's I know of playing in England, and are in the Coca Cola Second Division.

And it was only a few years back Killen was at Man Citeh and Danny Hay was at Leeds, then to Walsall and then he left the club.

masterblaster

International Captain
Orangepitch's list takes the cake.

I also remember the 1997/98 match with India v Pakistan in Dhaka during the final of the Silver Jubilee Independence Cup or something like that.

Pakistan had made 316 I think, and India batting second, Ganguly made a 100 and Kanitkar made a good contribution and Srinath hit the winning runs and India made 317.

Thrilling stuff.

Deja moo

International Captain
SJS said:
Great list.

Add to that being bowled out for 128 in a Sharjah final by Pakistan and bundling them out for less than 100 on a dead track !! Gavaskar getting the only man of the match award in history given to a fielder for firlding alone for his four catches at slips.
Oh yes ! good reminder. I have added that one to the list too now.

DD Sports showed the highlights of that match a year or so ago , and some of those catches were classics :)

And any match where you succesfully defend 128 has to be a must watch.

Another similar match was when India scored 176 in Sharjah vs Sri Lanka , and bowled out the World Champions on a placid track for 98 . :cheers:

Dont recall exactly , but I think Srinath took 3 wickets and AA took 4 :whip:

Andre

International Regular
Craig said:
I should remind you I am not Australian.

Australia got to the play off stage against Uruguay and AFAIK Frank Farina is Australian.

Australia played pretty well v Turkey (they played better then the scoreline suggested) especially when there was no Viduka, Kewell, Moore (well he is the captain) amomgst others, and were a good lead up to Oceania WC qualifyers.
Moore isn't captain, Kewell is.

I was at the first match of that series and we were completely and utterly outclassed.

Deja moo

International Captain
masterblaster said:
Orangepitch's list takes the cake.

I also remember the 1997/98 match with India v Pakistan in Dhaka during the final of the Silver Jubilee Independence Cup or something like that.

Pakistan had made 316 I think, and India batting second, Ganguly made a 100 and Kanitkar made a good contribution and Srinath hit the winning runs and India made 317.

Thrilling stuff.
That was the 316 vs Pakistan I had mentioned.
It was meant to be a day game , but it got so late that the last few overs were played in virtual darkness. :batman:

BTW, Ganguly made 124 , and it was Kanitkar who hit the winning four off the penultimate delivery of the last over bowled by Saqlain. :hockey:

Last edited:

Deja moo

International Captain
Honourable mentions include Indias first ever test series wins over Windies and England overseas.( under Ajit Wadekar )

Also , the matches in Sharjah vs Australia ( Sachins 'sandstorm 'innings'), although they were more of individual brilliance than team efforts.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Andre said:
Moore isn't captain, Kewell is.

I was at the first match of that series and we were completely and utterly outclassed.
Except for a 15 minute patch early in the 2nd half :D :blink:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Great list.

Mark Taylor's captaincy debut Four slips catches (he only scored 9).