• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest moment for your country?

Craig

World Traveller
For New Zealand at international level:

1) New Zealand defeating India at the ICC Knockout Tournament to lift their first ever trophey at international level. New Zealand knocked off Pakistan who had a record of beating New Zealand at previous World Cup's at the semi-finals.

New Zealand came into the match as underdogs, as India it seemed had the talent and the 7000 odd Indians in the crowd backing their team. A brilliant Chris Cairns 100 and a fine support innings by Chris Harris, and New Zealand got home.

2) New Zealand's first Test win over the West Indies in Auckland in the 1950's, after being playing Test cricket for over 20 years without a win.

3) New Zealand's tour of England in 1949, were they were able to draw all the Tests and only lost a couple of tour matches. A great achievement considering the talent that was around then for England.

4) Richard Hadlee taking 15 wickets against Australia in Brisbane in November 1985, Hadlee took 9-52 in Australia's first innings and Martin Crowe and John Ried both made tons. New Zealand won by an innings and as a result ended up winning the series 2-1. Hadlee took 33 wickets in that series.

5) Glenn Turner scoring a century in each innings to beat Australia in Christchurch in 1973-74.

6) New Zealand beating England in England for the first time in 1999.

7) Glenn Turner scoring a 1000 runs before the end of May in 1973 IIRC in New Zealand's tour of England.

For India it would be:

1) Winning the 1983 WC

2) Coming back from 1-0 down to beat Australia in 2001

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
So many to choose from!

I'll think of my main ones and come back and list them later

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
2 Landmarks for NZ in tests would have to be:

- First series wins in England (1999) & The West Indies (2002)
- First series win over Australia, Hadlee's incredible one-man show.

ODI's:

- ICC Knockout win in 2000
- VB Series 2001/2002
- NZ's unlikely win over South Africa (taking into account previous win/loss records, needing over 300 to win etc) World Cup 2003.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
For India I would go further and say that rather than coming back from 1-0 down, the Calcutta Test itself was the pinnacle.

Calcutta Test

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka - '96 WC win.
Bangladesh - 1st Test v. WI 2004... or the Multan Test, but that was sad :(.

chicane

State Captain
Some of the great moments for India, can't choose a greatest, probably 1983.

- Chasing 406 to win against WI
- Winning the 1983 World Cup
- Winning the 1985 World Series
- Never losing to Pakistan in World Cups :D
- Beating Australia at Sharjah
- Beating Australia in 2001 and stopping their 16 win rampage
- Some performances in England, Lords ODI and Headingly test.
- Reaching the 2003 World Cup Finals
- The performance in Australia 2003
- Beating Pakistan in the ODIs and Tests in their backyard

imranrabb

U19 Debutant
-Beating the hell out of india every sharjah tournament
-When Inzamam got a bat and hit those indian fans
-Beating India more times then they beat us.I think the record is 54-40 or something.
-Winning the 92 world cup over England.
-Pakistan A beating India chasing 339 with 4 overs and 6 wickets to spare

bennyr

U19 12th Man
In my memory:

- The '99 World Cup Comeback (especially that semi final vs SA)
- The Hobart Comeback

And a couple of real personal favourites:
- Steve Waughs last ball of the day century.
- Shane Warnes ball of the century

chicane

State Captain
imranrabb said:
When Inzamam got a bat and hit those indian fans
-Pakistan A beating India chasing 339 with 4 overs and 6 wickets to spare
I feel sorry for you if you think those were one of the greatest cricketing moments for your country. 8-)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
if you`re low on comebacks duck, just mention the Socceroos... oh WAIT!! we beat you last time didnt we... muhahaha

Loony BoB

International Captain
Didn't NZ's victory over England push England to the bottom of the test rankings? Was NZ already at the bottom? If so, would you really consider that such a huge thing to do? >_>;;

Astle's fastest ever 200 springs to mind, obviously aside from everything else that has been mentioned. NZ's greatest moments are yet to come, though.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nnanden said:
if you`re low on comebacks duck, just mention the Socceroos... oh WAIT!! we beat you last time didnt we... muhahaha
I'm sorry if the comment was a little too subtle for you.