• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Ever Test XI

Slifer

International Captain
I would tend to agree with Mofo but up against your Pak XI I would put my Windies XI:

Hunte
Greenidge
Headley
Weekes
Richards
Sobers
Walcott+
Marshall
Holding
Ambrose/Gibbs depending on the nature of wicket
Garner

Would be an interestin contest awaitin a reponse!!!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Slifer said:
I would tend to agree with Mofo but up against your Pak XI I would put my Windies XI:

Hunte
Greenidge
Headley
Weekes
Richards
Sobers
Walcott+
Marshall
Holding
Garner

The squads ok but i would Haynes not Hunte, and Lara or Lloyd not Weekes and Dujion as kepper not Walcott

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

yeah agreed with chaminda their, lara should be their for me & even though LLyod was a great skipper it would be a big agrument whether he could make that side or not, definetly dujon has keeper though dont think Mr. Walcott could keep that well to those four fast bowlers

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
mofo123 said:
i think its impossible to have a world all time XI so many players would b left out it would b an imense tragedy...although may i suggest a pakistan XI which i think would give any XI a run for their money:
Saeed Anwar
Hanif Mohammad
Zaheer Abbas
Javed Miandad
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Yousuf Youhana/Mushtaq Mohammad
Imran Khan
Moin Khan
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Saqlain Mushtaq/Abdul Qadar
I'm sure most Pakistanis would have added Younis Khan at 1 down spot after seeing him in the test series against India.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Unattainableguy said:
I'm sure most Pakistanis would have added Younis Khan at 1 down spot after seeing him in the test series against India.
One Test Series doesn't make a career, if so then Greg Blewett would still be in the Australian Test team after his Test Series aganist South Africa back in 97 (i think)

Slifer

International Captain
chaminda_00 said:
The squads ok but i would Haynes not Hunte, and Lara or Lloyd not Weekes and Dujion as kepper not Walcott

I agree with the Dujon for Walcott. As for Haynes for Hunte and Lara for Weekes it was really a toss up for me. I guess I fell into the trap of going for the best team statistically neglecting other factors. Your insight is duly notes!!!

mofo123

U19 12th Man
Unattainableguy said:
younis khan maybe a future prospect but he will have to do a hell of a lot to get ahead of zaheer abbas...theres sum1 which the new batch can learn a thing or two from...i knw i missed may greats such as fazal mahmood, sarfraz nawaz, intikhab alam, saleem malik etc etc list goes on but i guess its all abt the ceam of the crop...to b honest i was too much of a wuss to put up a world XI far to difficult...involves thinking;)

mofo123

U19 12th Man
Slifer said:

Hunte
Greenidge
Headley
Weekes
Richards
Sobers
Walcott+
Marshall
Holding
Garner

well 5 series test match drawn 0-0 each game with 1500+ runs and 19 wickets each time...:D hell of a series...id watch it anyway

mofo123

U19 12th Man
just a question...how can u leave walsh out? ambrose without walsh isnt that like a horse without its carridge...or to up date thigns...an ipod without headphones?

Slifer

International Captain
I have a lot of admiration for Walsh as a fellow West Indian but I just couldnt make room for him in my 1st 11 sorry!!! He would probably be in my 2nd XI though

mofo123

U19 12th Man
Slifer said:
I have a lot of admiration for Walsh as a fellow West Indian but I just couldnt make room for him in my 1st 11 sorry!!! He would probably be in my 2nd XI though
lol, wot a day it will b wen we see a name like courtney walsh in a 2nd eleven...LOVE IT!...'yea faced there second team opener hes decent...hits 90s and gets 5 for regularly nothing special u knw?'...lol kool.;)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
For me there are four certainties in every all-time XI - Hobbs, Bradman, Sobers and Gilchrist. The rest changes around a little for me, but those four are always there.

Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Donald Bradman
Walter Hammond
Gary Sobers
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath

There are enough of these threads that I can institute a rotational policy. Out comes Greg Chappell and Sydney Barnes, to be replaced by Keith Miller and Imran Khan. :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slifer said:

Hunte
Greenidge
Headley
Weekes
Richards
Sobers
Walcott+
Marshall
Holding
Garner

Well you've got mostly criticism, but I'll back you up. ;)

My Windies XI
Conrad Hunte (beats Haynes out comfortably for me)
Gordon Greenidge
Vivian Richards
George Headley
Brian Lara
Garfield Sobers (c)
Jeff Dujon (k)
Malcolm Marshall
Michael Holding
Curtley Ambrose
Joel Garner
12th Man: Everton Weekes (very, very unlucky)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
What?!

No Weeks or Walcott? Lloyd and Dujon are not worthy.

Everton Weekes
Clyde Walcott
I think perhaps the reason Walcott is left out is because he really wasn't a keeper most of the time. If you look at his record he has almost as many catches as a fielder as when he was keeping - 26 in the field and 27 behind the stumps. He only kept in a fraction of his 44 tests and as such can't really be considered for the keeping position in an all-time XI. And for me Lara, Headley, Richards and Sobers beat Weekes, who is very unlucky to not make the side and is clearly the 5th best middle order bat ever for the West Indies in my view.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lara is a wonderful batsman and a true great, but I find it very hard to leave out Everton Weekes at his expense. Weekes has a phenominal record. I'd take Lara over Richards though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Lara is a wonderful batsman and a true great, but I find it very hard to leave out Everton Weekes at his expense. Weekes has a phenominal record. I'd take Lara over Richards though.
I don't see how you could take Lara over Richards. Richards averaged in the mid 50s for most of his career in an era of great bowlers and tricky pitches, and led his side to become one of the greatest ever. He was also named one of the Wisden circketers of the century along with Hobbs, Bradman, Warne and Sobers. He's an automatic selection for me. Lara is a better player of quality spin bowling (mostly because Richards rarely faced any of it) and is certainly an all-time great who warrants a place in the Windies all-time XI and a look in for a world all-time XI too, but he's not quite as good as Richards.

And as far as Weekes is concerned, well he's a great but he's still not as good as Richards, Headley, Lara or Sobers. Have a look at his test centuries - he played in an era with two good sides (England and Australia), and 7 of his 15 test centuries came against India, 3 against New Zealand and 1 against Pakistan. He only averaged 45 against England and 39 against Australia respectively, compared to 83 against the other three countries of his era combined.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FaaipDeOiad said:
I don't see how you could take Lara over Richards. Richards averaged in the mid 50s for most of his career in an era of great bowlers and tricky pitches, and led his side to become one of the greatest ever. He was also named one of the Wisden circketers of the century along with Hobbs, Bradman, Warne and Sobers. He's an automatic selection for me. Lara is a better player of quality spin bowling (mostly because Richards rarely faced any of it) and is certainly an all-time great who warrants a place in the Windies all-time XI and a look in for a world all-time XI too, but he's not quite as good as Richards.

And as far as Weekes is concerned, well he's a great but he's still not as good as Richards, Headley, Lara or Sobers. Have a look at his test centuries - he played in an era with two good sides (England and Australia), and 7 of his 15 test centuries came against India, 3 against New Zealand and 1 against Pakistan. He only averaged 45 against England and 39 against Australia respectively, compared to 83 against the other three countries of his era combined.
I wrote an article explaining why I'd take Lara over Richards a while back. If I can find it, I'll post it here.

Both Lara and Richards were inconsistent, but Lara has accomplished more. Richards gets more glory because of the era in which he played. The West Indies was a force then and Viv Richards was the personification of that force. Now Lara is a great among the mediocre and will never get the recognition he perhaps deserves.