• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graham Thorpe dies aged 55

kevinw

International 12th Man
I just feel so sorry for everyone, for his family and friends who knew and loved him, for cricket fans who watched and admired his consistent brilliance, and most of all for Graham himself.

SeamUp

International Coach
When it happened and I was listening to the news it was hard not to hold back tears.

I didn't know the guy but growing up loving international cricket in the 90s you appreciated his ability but also just a player for the era hard to forget.

Sad news hearing the reasoning, I didn't realise his problems but that's also another cricketer to take his own life or struggle with depression. Seems quite a high number compared to other sports?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Boy_Blunder

U19 Captain
When it happened and I was listening to the news it was hard not to hold back tears.

I didn't know the guy but growing up loving international cricket in the 90s you appreciated his ability but also just a player for the era hard to forget.

Sad news hearing the reasoning, I didn't realise his problems but that's also another cricketer to take his own life or struggle with depression. Seems quite a high number compared to other sports?
I can't think of many sports where you spend so much time away from home.

Bijed

International Regular
This is just horrible. Huge respect for his family for coming out with the news at what must surely be the hardest time of their lives

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Having went through my own mental health battle in 2022/2023. It's not about your own value.

It's just that the thought of not being here becomes the only rational thought you have. Even though it's the most irrational thought you can have.

Desperately sad news. I wouldn't wish it on anyone or their family. I hope in time they can heal.
Sorry to hear about that. I had a mental health battle a few years ago too.

This article is a heartbreaking read.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So sad. Brings back memories as my dad's best mate did the same thing nearly 30 years ago. Feel so sad for his family and the unfortunate train driver.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I thought hit by train was some kind of a metaphor but wow, that literally happened. It's so awful, can't imagine what the family is going through.:(

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Captain
Still cant believe it. ****ing hell. :( Will always be one of my most favorite England cricketers of all time. RIP.

Underrated ODI great as well IMO. Amazing batsman, amazing talent and a great slip fielder to boot.
A shame he couldn't quite get that ODI hundred. Twenty-one ODI 50s, with a highest score of 89, he got close.

Very good batsman in Test cricket, loved playing his shots too.

Darwin Award

U19 Cricketer
... You hear of the word tragedy used as hyperbole when a team or player in sport loses in crushing fashion but this is the clear cut version of the word.

Heart goes out to his daughters & family.

Furthermore,I just hope Will Pucovski is in a good place after receiving so so many concussions & head knocks in cricket that invariably so often lead down to 'dark decisions' like this.. I think there's already been a correlation in NFL reports of players/former players ending it especially after receiving cerebral trauma during their career... It manifests in other shapes & forms as they get older in years.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Man, when I saw someone with the username ‘Darwin award’ had posted in this thread I was ready to throw hands…