• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graham Thorpe dies aged 55

Moss

International Vice-Captain
I didn't and neither did any of my mates at the time. Seemed absolutely mental that Bell was playing ahead of him.

So sad to hear the news. One of my favourite players of the early 00's.
I did feel this way at the time, but TBF Thorpe's back was giving him all sorts of trouble and he had his fair share of problems in South Africa the previous winter (Graeme Smith of all bowlers was troubling him). Fletcher and the selectors weren't wrong in wondering whether the Ashes would be a bridge too for (though whether Bell deserved to be higher in the list is a valid question). Either way it was a memorable last couple of years for a great career.

BazBall21

just heard on the wisden cricket weekly podcast that Thorpe's first 26 test matches were against Australia, the West Indies and South Africa.

jesus
Yeah his first 49 Test innings were all against those sides and 94 of his first 115 innings were against them and Pakistan. No hiding place for a flakey&generally outgunned team's best player.

Held his own in the 90s. Succeeded in 3/3 Ashes series; the first was on debut, the second was when he cracked an epic ton at the Waca, the third was averaging 50 against peak McWarne with Gillespie& Kaspocwicz in support. Influential knocks in both tests England won. Averaged above 40 in a home and away series v WI. His Old Trafford knock in 1995 is underrated.

Once batting got easier from the 2000-01 subcontinent tour onwards - he averaged 55. And that tour includes the series-defining masterclass v Murali. He always played Warne and Saqlain well also. The team around him improved after that, but he continued to be the man for a crisis. Kensington Oval 2004 when he made 119* on a dog of a pitch where the second highest England score was 17. Both hundreds in the 2004 home summer came after entering the crease with England 3 down for next to nothing. One of them in a successful run chase of 284.

Not many will agree, but I have always held the view that he belongs in the same conversation as Kevin Pietersen and David Gower.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not many will agree, but I have always held the view that he belongs in the same conversation as Kevin Pietersen and David Gower.
Me too. I remember posting about three years ago that he was in the frame for the the best England XI since I've been watching the game and getting a right mouthful from some clown who thought that Thorpe wasn't in the same class as Ian Bell, let alone Joe Root. tbh, the 4 and 5 batting positions in that XI are probably Root and KP, with Gower at 3. But Thorpe was really good.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Thorpe’s family have revealed he took his own life because he thought they’d be better off without him. Absolutely brutal, lost for words here
That's awful.

And that's going to hit some of the current Engand side if they were around when he was doing some coaching.

Molehill

International Captain
That's awful.

And that's going to hit some of the current Engand side if they were around when he was doing some coaching.
It's been confirmed that his hospital stay in 2022 was following an attempt to take his own life, so I guess they would've been aware of his struggles at that point.

In many cases, people aren't even aware that someone is struggling with depression. But in Thorpe's case it was seemingly well known amongst those who knew him, he was just unable to conquer it. Incredibly sad, and hard to comprehend how strong those demons must be.

BazBall21

I heard it was suicide last week. He had demons for a long time. Gut-wrenchingly sad to think he didn't know how valued he was.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I heard it was suicide last week. He had demons for a long time. Gut-wrenchingly sad to think he didn't know how valued he was.
Having went through my own mental health battle in 2022/2023. It's not about your own value.

It's just that the thought of not being here becomes the only rational thought you have. Even though it's the most irrational thought you can have.

Desperately sad news. I wouldn't wish it on anyone or their family. I hope in time they can heal.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
i'm sure like some of you i had heard the rumours in 2022 that it was an attempt on his own life. it is so sad he could never return from that place.

his family are incredibly brave but also highly responsible putting this into the public domain. they are 100% right to not shy away from it. wishing them all the strength in the world.