• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graham Thorpe dies aged 55

tony p

State Regular
RIP.
Jesus, he was 2 years younger than me.

Fine player to watch, even when he was scoring runs against us. Saw his debut hundred at Trent Bridge in 1993.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
The most devastating news to wake up to. In the 90s, England were so often outmatched. One man was a shining light more than anyone else. His name was Graham Thorpe. Very good v pace and spin and excellent in a crisis. He was a skilled fighter.

So many clutch knocks in winning causes. So many acts of defiance when the opposition were just too strong for the rest of the team.

I'm gutted. RIP Graham. One of England's greatest players.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shocking news, & yet another of that same middle aged vintage as Warne, and in Thorpe's case one of England's best bats of the late 90s early 2000s & was always the big wicket to take from a NZ fans POV.

RIP

Molehill

International Captain
Really sad to hear this. For me, his most memorable knock was in THAT Test in Karachi. 4 of us left the Office and went down to the local to watch the end of it. He was certainly seeing it better than the Pakistani fielders at the end.

RIP

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bloody hell. 55 is scarily young. It's crazy to see guys you grew up watching now dying.

Was always a really under-rated player. A shame he couldn't get that one Ashes win.

RIP.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just absolutely terrible news. Like so many on here that team was the one of my childhood and he was the best of them.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
Devastating news. One of the most underrated bats(Good record everywhere, except SA, and dominated peak Warne in Aus, peak Mcgrath and Warne at home, Ambrose and Walsh in 94, Murali in 2000, probably the best under 50 averaging bats apart from Crowe and Greenidge).

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
So young, no age at all. Was my fav English batsman for a long time, mostly for his style, but also because he wasn't a mediocre hack.

Deserved more recognition and accolades. Rip fella.

jcas0167

International Debutant
One of those rare batsmen that I enjoyed watching. There was definitely a time that I wanted one of those Kookaburra Bubble bats he used.
He seemed to be really well balanced at the crease (just reading he made the England schoolboys football side too). Speaking of his bats, 12 yr old Kane Williamson inherited one Thorpe left to someone following the 2002 tour and made a truckload of runs with it. I first saw Thorpe when he performed well in a struggling England side on the 94/95 Ashes tour against peak Warne and McDermott*. Bill Lawry called him a "hard working professional cricketer". A lynchpin of the side for a decade. Really sad he's passed far too soon. RIP.

* Highlights of his great ton at the WACA. https://x.com/henrymoeranBBC/status/1820380472234446873?t=fNsclofm5NX7628EeDhldQ&s=19

Last edited: