• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

flair in batting

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
marc71178 said:
Of course Australia weren't missing their first choice bowling attack were they?
Well India didn't exactly have their first choice attack either. Ganguly lost Salvi to a shoulder injury before the tour started and he lost Zaheer and Harbhajan after the first test.

Eclipse

International Debutant
GermanShepherd said:
Well India didn't exactly have their first choice attack either. Ganguly lost Salvi to a shoulder injury before the tour started and he lost Zaheer and Harbhajan after the first test.
Harbhajan was probably going to be hammerd all over the place if he had played the entire series.

His bowling is just not suited to Australian conditions at all and he was awful in the first test. (it's a good thing he was injured becaus it allowed kumble to get a go and he did very well)

Salvi !! he may become a very good bowler but I dont think he would have made a big diffrence.

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
Eclipse said:
Salvi !! he may become a very good bowler but I dont think he would have made a big diffrence.
THe fact that he was higher up in their pecking order than Pathan and Balaji
cannot be ignored. Ganguly's men had to cope with injuries as well and that's the point I was raising .

As to what salvi may have done, well that's purely hypothetical. What's to say he wouldn't have done very well had he played ? You just can't say either way.

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
Eclipse said:
Harbhajan was probably going to be hammerd all over the place if he had played the entire series.

His bowling is just not suited to Australian conditions at all and he was awful in the first test.
Both Adelaide and Sydney have a reputation for assisting finger spinners so I think your last point is debatable especially considering that Ray Price did very well in the Sydney test earlier in the summer.

As to your first , maybe although again you're speculating here and my original point was merely to draw attention to the fact that India had their own (and certainly not insignificant) injury problems.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
so ANYWAY, i think that Lara still wins hands down in the department of flair, regardless of his record, previous or present.

Deja moo

International Captain
Revelation said:
so ANYWAY, i think that Lara still wins hands down in the department of flair, regardless of his record, previous or present.
yea

He was improvising really well in that onedayer vs Nzl in the current natwest series.

tooextracool

International Coach
GermanShepherd said:
as has been mentioned before.....losing mcgrath,warne and to an extent gillespie and lee obviously has a greater effect for a side than losing salvi and zaheer, especially considering that the back up bowlers performed as well as the frontline bowlers would have....
as far as harbhajan singh is concerned he bowled rubbish in the first test and his injury was a blessing in disguise because kumble made more than a worthy replacement for him......

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Revelation said:
Lara is a great flair player. But I would have him after Laxman in terms of flair. This is just personal preference. Coz in one of the ODIs in the VB series in Australia, I saw Laxman play a cover drive to a ball from Lee for four. And the very next ball (which was identical), he played the most beautiful on-drive I have ever seen for four.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
tooextracool said:
as has been mentioned before.....losing mcgrath,warne and to an extent gillespie and lee obviously has a greater effect for a side than losing salvi and zaheer, especially considering that the back up bowlers performed as well as the frontline bowlers would have....
as far as harbhajan singh is concerned he bowled rubbish in the first test and his injury was a blessing in disguise because kumble made more than a worthy replacement for him......
Your argument here is based very much on speculation. Zaheer and Harbhajan and Srinath were very much India's first choice bowlers just like Mcgrath and Warne were. The fact remains India lost their own strike bowlers just like Australia did. Just as you say, Harbhajan missing was a blessing in disguise, I can say missing Warne (coz of a ban!) was a blessing in disguise coz he would have gotten smashed.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
This may be pure speculation, but I feel that Warne would've improved the bowling (not to mention batting) line up. He's way better than MacGill at bowling, batting and fielding.

tooextracool

International Coach
ReallyCrazy said:
Your argument here is based very much on speculation. Zaheer and Harbhajan and Srinath were very much India's first choice bowlers just like Mcgrath and Warne were. The fact remains India lost their own strike bowlers just like Australia did.
srinath? how does he enter this....he's retired so theres no point in bringing him up.
as far as zaheer is concerned he played 2 tests and in the other 2 the replacements did a decent job for him, if an indian strike bowler gets injured it doesnt really matter because the players on the bench were just as good....can i say the same thing about bracken,macgill and brad williams?
and harbhajan bowled absolute tripe in the first test.....it was highly unlikely that he would have played in the 2nd test anyways...even if he had then kumble would have been left out, and kumble played a major part in india's success in that series.

ReallyCrazy said:
Just as you say, Harbhajan missing was a blessing in disguise, I can say missing Warne (coz of a ban!) was a blessing in disguise coz he would have gotten smashed.
the thing is that even if warne got smashed, he would still have been a better bowler than macgill, at least there wouldnt been 2 long hops every over.....looking at warnes figures in australia in 99 he was economical despite not taking that many wickets, he could at least have been used to keep one end tight.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
tooextracool said:
srinath? how does he enter this....he's retired so theres no point in bringing him up.
Well Warne was banned due to substance abuse and you brought him up, so I figured why not bring Srinath up since he was supposed to play in that series being his last one but he retired prematurely.

tooextracool said:
as far as zaheer is concerned he played 2 tests and in the other 2 the replacements did a decent job for him, if an indian strike bowler gets injured it doesnt really matter because the players on the bench were just as good....can i say the same thing about bracken,macgill and brad williams?
Zaheer bowled very well in the first test. And he was replaced by Irfan Pathan making his debut in the second. If Irfan bowled as well as Zaheer could have, then it was good for him. And If bracken, mcgill and williams did not bowl well, it was not india's fault they didn't.

tooextracool said:
and harbhajan bowled absolute tripe in the first test.....it was highly unlikely that he would have played in the 2nd test anyways...even if he had then kumble would have been left out, and kumble played a major part in india's success in that series.
Agree with you there. But He was still India's main bowler ahead of Kumble.

tooextracool said:
the thing is that even if warne got smashed, he would still have been a better bowler than macgill, at least there wouldnt been 2 long hops every over.....looking at warnes figures in australia in 99 he was economical despite not taking that many wickets, he could at least have been used to keep one end tight.
Macgill has a better record against India than warne.

biased indian

International Coach
Jnr. said:
This may be pure speculation, but I feel that Warne would've improved the bowling (not to mention batting) line up. He's way better than MacGill at bowling, batting and fielding.
its more than a speculation
u will get a picture coming october.but still if he play well it wont take away his bad performance in history

Swervy

International Captain
dont know whether he has been mentioned before...but Flintoff, is he classed as a flair batsman???

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
dont know whether he has been mentioned before...but Flintoff, is he classed as a flair batsman???
I'm sure you'll get people telling you Flintoff isn't classed as a batsmen let alone a flair batsmen! :D

tooextracool

International Coach
ReallyCrazy said:
Well Warne was banned due to substance abuse and you brought him up, so I figured why not bring Srinath up since he was supposed to play in that series being his last one but he retired prematurely.
thats a bit ridiculous...i could come up with dennis lillee and merv hughes being missed in this series then.....a banning is pretty similar to injury...in both cases the player usually comes back.

ReallyCrazy said:
Zaheer bowled very well in the first test. And he was replaced by Irfan Pathan making his debut in the second. If Irfan bowled as well as Zaheer could have, then it was good for him. And If bracken, mcgill and williams did not bowl well, it was not india's fault they didn't.
oh come of it now....ive never faulted anyone. its quite clear that you play the attack that you are put against but the fact remains that mcgrath,warne and gillespie and lee(to an extent) were missed a lot more than any of those indian bowlers.

ReallyCrazy said:
Macgill has a better record against India than warne.
yes and remind me how many of those tests hes played in india?