• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

flair in batting

Eclipse

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
dravid beats ponting hands down
Bull****! you can make a case for Dravid being better than Ponting but hand's down come off it!!!

They are diffrent type's of batsman.

Ponting is also a superior captain & feilder plus he has more hundreds at a younger age.

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
Bull****! you can make a case for Dravid being better than Ponting but hand's down come off it!!!
They are diffrent type's of batsman..
yes im sure the fact that dravid averages 4 runs more than ponting doesnt prove a thing....or the fact that dravid has performed absolutely everywhere in the world,quite unlike ponting's averages in india....what were they again?

Eclipse said:
Ponting is also a superior captain & feilder plus he has more hundreds at a younger age.
im quite certain that tilts the balance and makes ponting a better batsman....

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
I really doubt Ponting will fail quite so much next time. He has been in recent times a better batsman and is a definately a better allround cricketer then Dravid.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr. Ponting said:
I really doubt Ponting will fail quite so much next time.
well lets see him do so then.....

Mr. Ponting said:
He has been in recent times a better batsman
oh really?
2003 2004
dravid 100.38 87.60
ponting 100.20 33.75

care to show me where exactly this 'better batsman in recent times' comes from?

Eclipse

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
yes im sure the fact that dravid averages 4 runs more than ponting doesnt prove a thing....or the fact that dravid has performed absolutely everywhere in the world,quite unlike ponting's averages in india....what were they again?

im quite certain that tilts the balance and makes ponting a better batsman....

It make's Ponting a better overall player though.

And that 4 runs better avrage was established within the space of 2 monthes before then they had almost identical avrages. Besides Dravid has a better avrage than almost everyone ATM Lara, Tendulkar, Ponting included.

Eclipse

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
well lets see him do so then.....

oh really?
2003 2004
dravid 100.38 87.60
ponting 100.20 33.75

care to show me where exactly this 'better batsman in recent times' comes from?

Umm.. Ponting made like an extra 700 runs in 2003 and has not played much cricket yet in 2004.

An avrage of 100 with 1500 runs is far more impressive than an avrage of 100 with seven or eight hundred runs.

I am not saying Ponting is a better test batsman (he is certainly a better ODI batsman however) but it's very debatable and NOT a hand's down easy decision.

Deja moo

International Captain
Eclipse said:

And that 4 runs better avrage was established within the space of 2 monthes before then they had almost identical avrages. Besides Dravid has a better avrage than almost everyone ATM Lara, Tendulkar, Ponting included.

So those 2 months shouldnt count ? Lets see you discount Pontings one month vs India in 2003-04 also.

If Dravid has an average better than Sachin , Ponting , Lara , maybe it is bacause he has been a better batsman ?

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
orangepitch said:
So those 2 months shouldnt count ? Lets see you discount Pontings one month vs India in 2003-04 also.

If Dravid has an average better than Sachin , Ponting , Lara , maybe it is bacause he has been a better batsman ?
Yes, maybe.

But people always say Lara + Tendulkar are better don't they? :dry:

Eclipse

International Debutant
orangepitch said:
Of couse they count. All I was saying is that these things can change quickly.

Yeah but do you think he is ?!

Currently in test cricket there is no doubt he is just about the best going around but so was Hayden for 3 years.

I dont like to overlook ODI's ether like it or not it is International cricket and if you look at those other three batsman and there combined record's they are all better batsman if you take both form's of the game into account.

Deja moo

International Captain
Eclipse said:
Of couse they count. All I was saying is that these things can change quickly.

Yeah but do you think he is ?!
yes I do.

For sheer consistency and performances in all countries , Dravid beats all of them hands down.

And consistency has been achieved over his entire career , not over 3 years.

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
which is not what the argument is about.....

Eclipse said:
And that 4 runs better avrage was established within the space of 2 monthes before then they had almost identical avrages.
thats an inane argument.....ponting has had an exceptional last year....before which he was averaging in the 40s! pontings average has only been similar to dravid's average for 2 months....but for the rest of the 8 years or so in their careers dravid has averaged far more than him.

Eclipse said:
Besides Dravid has a better avrage than almost everyone ATM Lara, Tendulkar, Ponting included.
for reasons already mentioned in the past i think dravid is a better player than tendulkar and ponting.
as far as lara is concerned periods 96-00 was what cost him really badly....his record otherwise has been impeccable especially considering that he pretty much carries his team.however if dravid continues in the same vein, he will definetly become a better player than lara....

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
Umm.. Ponting made like an extra 700 runs in 2003 and has not played much cricket yet in 2004.

An avrage of 100 with 1500 runs is far more impressive than an avrage of 100 with seven or eight hundred runs.
you can prove to me that if dravid had played another 7 matches that he wouldnt have maintained that average of 100? especially if he had played 5 tests against the WI?

Eclipse said:
I am not saying Ponting is a better test batsman (he is certainly a better ODI batsman however) but it's very debatable and NOT a hand's down easy decision.
there is no stat that i can think of that makes ponting a better batsman.....yet as i have just shown you there are clear cut stats that prove that dravid is a better batsman. IMO to even consider ponting to be in dravid's league would require ponting to come and score heavily in india....

ReallyCrazy

Banned
IMO Dravid has proved a lot more than Ponting as a batter in TESTS. He got the name "The Wall" for being so consistent throughout his career and scoring runs everywhere. He would be the first guy I'd choose in a World test XI. And yes he beats ponting hands down.

However, I agree w/ eclipse that ponting is a slightly better ODI batter. Though Dravid is more of a finisher in ODIs and their roles are not quite the same.

Also ever since dravid became a WK, he has been a good ALLROUND player.

Waughney

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
there is no stat that i can think of that makes ponting a better batsman.....yet as i have just shown you there are clear cut stats that prove that dravid is a better batsman. IMO to even consider ponting to be in dravid's league would require ponting to come and score heavily in india....
Eclipse was talking about ODI's where Ponting has has a better average by 3 (Dravid has a better average in tests by 3.5), 7 more hundreds and a better s/r by 8. IMO Ponting is a much more valuable ODI batsman than Dravid.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Haven't we discussed Ponting vs Dravid/Lara/Tendulkar enough already? (For the record, I think Dravid is a better Test bat than Ponting, but it is only by a small margin).

I thought this thread was about flair! Can we get back to it?

tooextracool

International Coach
Waughney said:
Eclipse was talking about ODI's where Ponting has has a better average by 3 (Dravid has a better average in tests by 3.5), 7 more hundreds and a better s/r by 8. IMO Ponting is a much more valuable ODI batsman than Dravid.
yes ponting is a much better ODI batsman than dravid, but his ODI record was irrelevant to the argument which was initially about tests where IMO dravid is far ahead of ponting.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
orangepitch said:

To be fair to Eclipse, he does have a very good point about the number of runs scored at that average.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
ReallyCrazy said:
IMO Dravid has proved a lot more than Ponting as a batter in TESTS. He got the name "The Wall" for being so consistent throughout his career and scoring runs everywhere.

I thought he got it for his solid defense that made him very hard to dismiss when others went quickly?