• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

flair in batting

Swervy

International Captain
chicane said:
You said Waugh is better to watch than SRT, and that's plain ridiculous.(or extremely biased ;) )

it is a fair enough comment...it depends on what you enjoy from a batsman.
rather ironic that you may hint that someone else may be biased ;)

chicane

State Captain
Jnr. said:
Mark Waugh is better to watch than SRT, in terms of elegance, which is what Mr. Ponting is getting at.
I'm sorry then define SRT's whips and fliks, his drives and cuts. Lemme guess, they're supposed to be perfect right? Perfection is elegant I think... :cool: Was Mark Waugh perfect too? I really don't know. (Remember perfect is in Mr.Ponting's own words)

chicane

State Captain
Swervy said:
it is a fair enough comment...it depends on what you enjoy from a batsman.
rather ironic that you may hint that someone else may be biased ;)
Both of you enjoy Mark Waugh more because you'll are biased. ;) No logical reason. :D

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
For me, elegance = grace, and IMO (and probably Mr. P's) Mark Waugh just pips SRT in this category.

Goodnight. I'm off - 12:30 here.

Sudeep

International Captain
The fact is you cannot compare batsmen based on flair, that is if flair does mean style, as I gather from various dictionaries.

Each batsman has a unique style of play, which resultantly would be liked by some, and disliked by others.

There is no style-meter, to measure the amount of style, that is which style is better than the other. It's dependent purely on the viewer's preference.

Heck, even Muralitharan has a flair for batting (slogging). He has his own unique style.

Swervy

International Captain
chicane said:
Both of you enjoy Mark Waugh more because you'll are biased. ;) No logical reason. :D
i never said i did prefer Mark Waughs batting.....although I obviously would do because his batting helped my team win.

But yeah Tendulkar in top flowing form is amazing to watch..however this does appear to be a relatively rare occurance for him

Revelation

U19 Debutant
amazing that Lara's name isn't even mentioned! Lara has more flair and class than anyone in the modern game. He mixes accumulation with risk and his shots are breathtaking!

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
chicane said:
I'm sorry then define SRT's whips and fliks, his drives and cuts. Lemme guess, they're supposed to be perfect right? Perfection is elegant I think... :cool: Was Mark Waugh perfect too? I really don't know. (Remember perfect is in Mr.Ponting's own words)
Don't be ridiculous. Perfection can and can't be elegance, depends on the batsman. But in no way was Mark Waugh perfect.

SRT is almost the perfect player. (When I said PERFECT I was reffering to his innings against Pakistan.) Sachin is (In my opinion) not nearly as elegant as Waugh because by playing everything by the textbook, he sacrifices some of the flowing elegance Waugh was so renown for.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Stylist players-

Australia- Ponting, Martyn, Clarke
England- ???
India- Tendulkar, Laxman, Yuvraj
New Zealand- Fleming
Pakistan- Inzamam, Youhana
South Africa- Cullinan
Sri Lanka- Mahela
West Indies -Lara

All-out attackers-

Australia- Hayden, Gilchrist, Symonds, Lee
England- Trescothick, Flintoff, Blackwell
India- Sehwag, Pathan, Powar (hardly any attackers play, so this weakens the batting)
NZ- Oram, Cairns, Adams, Astle
SA- Smith, Gibbs, Klusener, Pollock
SL- Sanath, Saman Jayantha, Michael Vandort (same weakness as the Indians, though they started the trend)
WI- Almost all of them

Waughney

International Debutant
Revelation said:
amazing that Lara's name isn't even mentioned! Lara has more flair and class than anyone in the modern game. He mixes accumulation with risk and his shots are breathtaking!
Lara was mentioned several times earlier in the thread, before it turned into an Australian batting line-up vs Indian batting line-up debate.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Stylist players-

England- ??? Vaughan
India- Tendulkar, Laxman, Yuvraj, Dravid, Ganguly
New Zealand- Fleming
South Africa- Cullinan, Gibbs, Kallis, Rudolph
Sri Lanka- Mahela, Atapattu, Sangakkara
West Indies -Lara, Sarwan

I added a few more. :D

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Jnr. said:
Stylist players-

England- ??? Vaughan
India- Tendulkar, Laxman, Yuvraj, Dravid, Ganguly
New Zealand- Fleming
South Africa- Cullinan, Gibbs, Kallis, Rudolph
Sri Lanka- Mahela, Attapattu, Sangakkara
West Indies -Lara, Sarwan

I added a few more. :D
Vaughan? He's not so much of a stylist, more of a grafter who also hits boundaries.

Dravid is a defensive player, who, when fully established, starts attacking the bowlers enough to make Sehwag look pedestrian, but he's no stylist. Ganguly is not a real stylist, and given his recent form, even less.

Gibbs launches into attack and is a bit scratchy, but nto a stylist, like Cullinan. Interesting, that Kallis is mentioned, since many consider him to be a rather boring player. Definitely Rudolph, but we would like to see more of him.

Atapattu doesn't seem to be a stylist, he;s more like Dravid and Gary Kirsten. Sangakkara has a few good, clean shots, but not as much as Aravinda De Silva.

Sarwan is another good batsman to watch, when he stays there.

rajat

School Boy/Girl Captain
Flair In Batting I would say the pigeon ( Glenn Mcgrath)
I enjoy the most when i see him bat. :ph34r: