• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

flair in batting

Deja moo

International Captain
Mark waugh > Tendulkar ........in gracefullness in general.
Tendulkar looks better than anyone else when playing the ball on the up ( Thats a sight I like best in cricket)

Gangulys timing on the offside.....best.Also most graceful six hitter.period.

Laxman = elegance.
Dravid's coverdrive= best of all other batsmen, except Laxman perhaps.

Ponting = best looking horizontal bat shots.

Hayden.....thats UGLY.

Brian C Lara......lovely batting style.
AA..................imitates BCL

Vaughan looks elegant ( you sure he's English ??? )

tooextracool

International Coach
Arjun said:
Australia- Martyn, Clarke
err clarke?a 'stylist'.....next thing you'll bring up bevan and lehmann.....

Arjun said:
England- ???
im assuming you've never seen geraint jones bat?thos square cuts are simply gorgeous....

Arjun said:
Pakistan- Inzamam, Youhana
ok wait....inzy gets in here while vaughan doesnt?are you looking at pie eating or players with flair?

Arjun said:
South Africa- Cullinan
err kallis?

Arjun said:
astle is very capable of defending......

Arjun said:
SA- Smith, Gibbs, Klusener, Pollock
greame smith?all out attacking?are you out of your mind?hes the most defensive player in the side!!!

tooextracool

International Coach
Arjun said:
Vaughan? He's not so much of a stylist, more of a grafter who also hits boundaries..
im assuming the last time you saw vaughan bat was in the 99 series against SA....

Arjun said:
Sangakkara has a few good, clean shots, but not as much as Aravinda De Silva...
so aravinda desilva is the bench mark for players with style then?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
greame smith?all out attacking?are you out of your mind?hes the most defensive player in the side!!!
What Graeme Smith have you been watching? Is it the same Graeme Smith with a SR of 64podd? The same Graeme Smith who scored...

259 from 370 balls with 34 fours

277 from 373 balls with 35 fours

151 from 216 balls with 18 fours

132 from 184 balls with 22 fours

139 from 180 balls with 21 fours and 2 sixes

...?

Graeme Smith is far from the most defensive player in any side, let alone in the South African side. He has a higher Test SR than Gibbs (51podd).

I certainly hope that was a sarcastic comment, in which case this was a fun rant regardless.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
What Graeme Smith have you been watching? Is it the same Graeme Smith with a SR of 64podd? The same Graeme Smith who scored...

259 from 370 balls with 34 fours

277 from 373 balls with 35 fours

151 from 216 balls with 18 fours

132 from 184 balls with 22 fours

139 from 180 balls with 21 fours and 2 sixes

...?

Graeme Smith is far from the most defensive player in any side, let alone in the South African side. He has a higher Test SR than Gibbs (51podd).

I certainly hope that was a sarcastic comment, in which case this was a fun rant regardless.
ok so there was a touch of exaggeration there......yet i wouldnt term greame smith as "all-out attacking"....

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
im assuming you've never seen geraint jones bat?thos square cuts are simply gorgeous....
Risky stuff, that. Just like Sehwag. Gives the slip fielders a lot of chances. Not a scratchy player, but not a stylist, either, but an attacking batsman.

ok wait....inzy gets in here while vaughan doesnt?are you looking at pie eating or players with flair?
Look back to the Indians' tour of Pakistan- Inzamam dominated the series and kept everyone interested- he does more than eat pies. Vaughan is not that kind of player who will keep the match alive. He gets his runs through plain old shots from the book.

tooextracool

International Coach
Arjun said:
Risky stuff, that. Just like Sehwag. Gives the slip fielders a lot of chances..
i can tell that you've never seen geraint jones bat....he bats nothing like sehwag, he doesnt swing at anything wide or short like sehwag and most of his shots are with minimum risk and along the ground. if geraint jones plays risky strokes then im afraid so does lara and tendulkar.....

Arjun said:
Look back to the Indians' tour of Pakistan- Inzamam dominated the series and kept everyone interested- he does more than eat pies. Vaughan is not that kind of player who will keep the match alive..
so you missed the entire aussie tour as well? vaughan used to be a fairly defensive player, a grafter, but that was years ago.....now hes developed into an attacking player who can play every shot in the book.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
i can tell that you've never seen geraint jones bat....he bats nothing like sehwag, he doesnt swing at anything wide or short like sehwag and most of his shots are with minimum risk and along the ground.
That's not the Geraint Jones that played yesterday. He was looking for a shot-a-ball and smashing the ball in the air fairly regularly.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
i can tell that you've never seen geraint jones bat....he bats nothing like sehwag, he doesnt swing at anything wide or short like sehwag and most of his shots are with minimum risk and along the ground. if geraint jones plays risky strokes then im afraid so does lara and tendulkar.....
Geraint Jones as good as Sachin or Lara? Surprising, since you're the first person who said so. Sehwag plays more leg-side shots against the spinners and pulls and hooks quite well. I have seen Jones bat in the npower series and he was taking a lot of risks and got infinite chances.

tooextracool

International Coach
Arjun said:
Geraint Jones as good as Sachin or Lara? Surprising, since you're the first person who said so.
from where exactly did you get that from???

Arjun said:
Sehwag plays more leg-side shots against the spinners and pulls and hooks quite well.
more than half his shots are hit in the air

Arjun said:
I have seen Jones bat in the npower series and he was taking a lot of risks and got infinite chances.
if backing yourself to play your shots is what you call risks then he does take a few risks.....and no he didnt get infinite chances in that series

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
from where exactly did you get that from???
You say that if Jones plays risky shots, so do Lara and Sachin. They too take risks, but not as much as Sehwag and Jones. Yet, Jones is not a Stylist like Gower or Azharuddin or Mark Waugh.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
That's not the Geraint Jones that played yesterday. He was looking for a shot-a-ball and smashing the ball in the air fairly regularly.
yes he does back himself to play his shots but its a bit like alec stewart....and i wouldnt exactly call alec stewart a risk taker. as far as the smashing the ball in the air is concerned it was basically because he was taking advantage of the 15 overs regulations and most of those shots were safe(bar the dropped catch). it was something that he rarely did in the test matches.....

tooextracool

International Coach
Arjun said:
You say that if Jones plays risky shots, so do Lara and Sachin. They too take risks, but not as much as Sehwag and Jones. Yet, Jones is not a Stylist like Gower or Azharuddin or Mark Waugh.
and despite the fact that i keep mentioning that jones doesnt take as many risks as sehwag you keep comparing him to sehwag. most of jones strokes are ground strokes and he doesnt try to hit every ball out of the park like sehwag!

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
To me, Sehwag is a slogger, but from all the things I have read, Geraint Jones plays with style/class.

Deja moo

International Captain
Jnr. said:
To me, Sehwag is a slogger, but from all the things I have read, Geraint Jones plays with style/class.
Yes ,cricket is a game to be read about ,not watched.