• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Buttler is gonna bat 6 then someone in the top five needs to be able to roll the arm over (and Brooks doesn't count). Jacks probably has to play given that.

Be interesting to see who bats 5. I don't think anyone in the squad is particularly suited to it.
Could be Duckett for 5. Though he'd probably be better suited to open. Maybe Brook will be left at 5 and told that is his position long term in test and ODIs.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Topley in the T20s but not the ODIs. I thought he'd be in both squads. He was looking good in the WC till he got injured.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Topley in the T20s but not the ODIs. I thought he'd be in both squads. He was looking good in the WC till he got injured.
Maybe just giving him an extra bit of time to recover, or they don’t see him playing ODIs long term?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah it feels a bit top order heavy. I suppose Brook is an option but you want him higher up really.

A bit annoying we won’t play an ODI for nine months after this
The other option would be to go

5 Buttler
6 Livingstone
7 Curran

You could play the best top 3 without needing to worry about Jacks's bowling then too, and Carse+Rehan #canbat.

*Carse is arse.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Pretty happy with the squads.

The ODI squad has excluded anyone who isn't likely to be involved at the next WC whilst the T20 squad is obviously with next year's WC in mind.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Hain thing is absurd, cut I don't mind the squads otherwise, it shows were we are going from now on, an interesting tranche of bowlers. Not sure how many of them will stay fit.

mackembhoy

International Debutant

dannythomas

Cricket Spectator
Reality is that it’s fairly easy to choose a test squad and even easier to choose a T20 squad. But should a 50 over squad be based on T20 or test credentials ? My feeling is that the England players performing well under Baz Ball ( especially the batters ) should be able to adapt to ODIs fairly easily and as I have said a few times in the World Cup threads big mistake not including Crawley, Duckett, Pope and Salt . Good that they are all in the WI squad .