• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

loterry1994

International Debutant
These multi year contracts are smart from the England board. Lot of these guys like Butler and Wood would make big money going around the franchise cricket circuit

kevinw

International 12th Man
Yeah Wood could make fortunes as a mercenary on the t20 circuit, tie him down IMO.
England need to tie Wood down to away tests in SA, WI and Australia. The three tests against Australia last Summer were his first decent home series.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Jimmy Anderson's 41, shouldn't be a barrier for entry these days. If you still put up the numbers, you still deserve to be picked. Malan has been our best LO bat over the last four years, pretty indisputably, and was our highest runscorer at the WC.

Just feels like an excuse to move on someone who has never been a selectors' favourite despite doing nothing wrong. Seems v harsh to me.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Obviously there are a couple of quibbles but I do like those squads. A few players in there I’m excited about.

Looking forwards to it, feels good to have a swift refresh and put the shambles behind us.

Just trying to work out the potential batting line-up. Five of Salt, Jacks and the four Test bats I would guess with Buttler at 6.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't know why Livingstone is in the ODI squad. Arguably the worst player of all in the world cup and provides nothing.

Crawley to open and Brook 4 with Buttler 6 should be what we do and can argue about the rest. Probably change things and open with Buttler knowing our lot.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well, against Ireland, Salt and Jacks opened with Crawley at 3 so wouldn’t be surprised to see something similar. Or it could be Salt and Jacks vying for one spot with Crawley alongside them. If so I guess Jacks gets the nod for his bowling, even though as I have previously stated definitively, Salt >>> Jacks

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well, against Ireland, Salt and Jacks opened with Crawley at 3 so wouldn’t be surprised to see something similar. Or it could be Salt and Jacks vying for one spot with Crawley alongside them. If so I guess Jacks gets the nod for his bowling, even though as I have previously stated definitively, Salt >>> Jacks
If Buttler is gonna bat 6 then someone in the top five needs to be able to roll the arm over (and Brooks doesn't count). Jacks probably has to play given that.

Be interesting to see who bats 5. I don't think anyone in the squad is particularly suited to it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If Buttler is gonna bat 6 then someone in the top five needs to be able to roll the arm over (and Brooks doesn't count). Jacks probably has to play given that.

Be interesting to see who bats 5. I don't think anyone in the squad is particularly suited to it.
Yeah it feels a bit top order heavy. I suppose Brook is an option but you want him higher up really.

A bit annoying we won’t play an ODI for nine months after this