• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Dev League Season 7**

ash chaulk

International Captain
DJellett said:
You're gone Chaulky...
are you using my own tatics against myself :P

no your gone

i put it to you dylan that the loser is the one with the most byes and shall buy the other a 6 pack. beer for me coke for you :P

biased indian

International Coach
my form is going in the oppasite direction in both forms of game hope to bat well in the coming matches bowling has been useful to the team not bad but my batting has to improve a lot

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
great win boys, really showed what we can do, some quality bolwing out there and it was great to be back with gibbs and punishing the attack. well done guys, lets keep it going.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
this match promises to be a thriller...
Glory for the winners and utter despair for the losers!!!!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Saturday 28th August

CRICKET WEB BLUE v CRICKET WEB BLACK at the SCG

Dubbed the CW Ashes, Pickup v Young - the Blacks prepared to host the Blues in what would surely be a fantastic game. The media hyped it up as the clash of the season and the players certainly didn't disappoint...

Starting conditions:
Ball : The ball is nice and new.
Pitch : A fairly good batting pitch with a few cracks.
Bounce : Good bounce with the occasional one lifting off a good length.
Outfield : Fast outfield.
Weather : Hot and sunny with very high light clouds.

Toss: Peter Young (Blue), bowl first
Young: We're looking to make best use of this pitch for the seamers, considering that we've picked a predominantly seam attack.
Ian Bishop: Are you concerned about facing Pickup last on this pitch?
Young: Pickup's not going to be a factor in this game. He's got nothing.

Day 1
Nath Patrick and Adam shared the new and bowled a couple of accurate overs to kick off, then Patrick kicked off the celebration - Eclipse pouched at slip. Jellett missed Jagaways off Adam on 15, but he did little more and Patrick got him spooning a simple caught and bowled. The bastsmen found shots difficult to play due to a bit of invariable bounce and thus meandered onward until Rich_2001 flashed at Muhaffy outside the offstump. In spectacular fashion, Broncoman dove forward and held a great slip catch.

The arrival of Ash Chaulk marked some strokeplay, but Halsey bowled him right before lunch and the Blacks were made to resume on 67/4. Ferd continued to show a fighting spirit alongside Buts, then both perished in consecutive overs. Journeyman Master Blaster launched his first ball from Patrick for six over fine leg, but was put down twice after that in his useful lower order contribution. Upon his demise, Superkingdave joined the effort and saw the innings to stumps with Hunter - 200/7.

Day 2
Pitch : A fairly good batting pitch with a few cracks.
Bounce : Nice consistent bounce off a good length.
Outfield : Very fast outfield. Lots of boundaries likely to be scored.
Weather : Hot and sunny with very high light clouds.

The partnership advanced past 50 runs and made it to 69 when misjudgement from Hunter cost him his wicket, caught and bowled by Halsey. Clearly the pitch was not one to be driving through the line to and the batsmen were realizing that quickly. Superkingdave batted onward to a career-best 43 and then pushed Patrick's full delivery straight back into his lap. Pickup was dropped first ball by Adam off Patrick, but edged to slip in his next over. Cricket Web Black all out for 245. Nath Patrick took his second 5w haul in FC cricket.

High on confidence from a solid bowling performance, Broncoman and skipper Peter Young set out to face the difficult SGC pitch. Early action and Young spooned an ondrive off a leading edge back to Blaster - 10/1 at lunch. After lunch Broncoman attempted to get into rhythm, but was brilliantly yorked by Hunter after getting a start. Pickup entered himself into play and had immediate success by bowling StUEy with a wonderful topspinner. The CW XI legspinner was in fine form and soon had Toogood pushing a googly in and out of Superkingdave's hands at legslip.

Superkingdave would make some amends though, Craig caught behind for 31. The over after tea plunged the Blues into further trouble. Toogood caught at gully off Pickup - 95/5. Jellett was dropped by Hunter off his captain before he scored and went on to look in great form alongside Muhaffy. Eventually he played one shot too many though, top-edging an indecisive pull to be caught by the bowler Broadbent. Broadbent then accounted for Muhaffy and Blaster dismissed Mr Mxyzptlk in the last over of the day. At stumps the Blues struggled on 172/8.

Day 3
Ball : The ball is getting old.
Pitch : A pitch with quite a few cracks.
Bounce : Okay bounce with the odd one keeping low.
Weather : Fine and Sunny with light cloud.

Wasting absolutely no time, Black was the scene on day 3 as Broadbent wrapped up the tail to finish with 4 wickets, a career-best haul. All out for 180, the Blues trailed by 65 on first innings.

Peter Young led his men back out onto the pitch and looked determined to fight back into the game, setting an attacking field and allowing Nath Patrick and Adam to blast away at their most aggressive. It worked too, Eclipse dropped by Patrick (off his own bowling) on 5 then dropped by Jellett (off Patrick) on 11. Soon enough 50 runs were on the board.

Muhaffy was brought on with 2 slips and a gully and a conventional field. The change worked and Eclipse drove and nicked to second slip - 51/1. It almost worked again, but Jagaways just got his hand to a difficult one at third slip. Unfortunately he didn't hang on and Nath Patrick was distraught. After the lunch interval, Rich_2001 stepped into second gear and was particularly intent against Mr Mxyzptlk. That almost worked against him though, but Broncoman dropped the fairly straightforward chance at first slip.

Rich's 50 took 96 balls and he moved further to 73, then Adam got some reverse swing to deal with his stumps. Now with a slight injection of adrenaline and hope, Adam produced a beautiful outswinger to Buts and had him caught by Broncoman at slip for little contribution. An over later, Mr Mxyzptlk was in on the act - 142/4 and Chaulk walking back, caught by Jellett. At tea it was 151/4 and after, the Blues continued their spectacular charge.

Patrick dismissed Jagaways and Hunter, then Halsey did the same to Ferd and Blaster. The last 2 wickets were one apiece and the deed was done. Cricket Web Black slipped dramatically from 139/1 to 192 all out and Halsey and Patrick grabbed 3 wickets each.

This set a chaseable target of 258 for the Blues, albeit on a difficult pitch to score on and with a tough session of 4 overs to negotiate on day 3. First ball saw drama, when Chaulk missed a very difficult chance off Broncoman's inside edge. At stumps the Blues were positive to 16/0.

Day 4
Pitch : A pitch with quite a few cracks.
Bounce : Okay bounce with the odd one keeping low.
Weather : Fine and Sunny with light cloud.

Ball one on day four, wicket one on day four. Peter Young was beaten by a creeper from Broadbent and was sent back to the hut for a few. Broncoman never looked settled and eventually looked to cut a Broadbent offering that kept low, dragging it onto his stumps instead. Then the innings was recovered by responsible batting from StUEy and Craig.

At 92/2, the Blues were back in control. With that thought, Pickup brought himself on. The effect was immediate and devastating. StUEy pushed forward and bat/padded a perfect legbreak to Ferd - 92/3. Toogood rocked back and played a lovely cut shot off the leggie, but pushed forward to the next ball and only succeeded in edging to silly point - 98/4. On the worn SCG pitch, Pickup looked well and truly unplayable.

Jellett and Mr Mxyzptlk lasted 12 balls between them and suddenly Pickup had 4 and the score read 106/6. Craig and Muhaffy battled for a bit and then the former flicked into the hands of square leg - 112/7. At lunch it was 117/7 with Pickup on the rampage. With glances to the Blue dressing room, Peter Young sat with solemn expression and hands on head. When Muhaffy pushed tentatively forward and edged behind off the Ginger wizard, Young's head was in his hands. Patrick was put down first ball and Pickup was clearly not amused. He dealt with that soon after though, a googly got Patrick LBW - 164/9.

Only Halsey showed the required application, constantly talking to himself at the crease and relishing each successful defensive shot against his mentor. Finally his valient stand would end in anticlimactic fashion. Attempting to sweep Superkingdave, bowling outside legstump over the wicket, Halsey just popped the ball up and Ash Chaulk took the simple ballooned catch. It was all over - 185 all out.

The Assessment
A game of twists and turns throughout. Pickup was superb on admittedly the most spinfriendly pitch we've seen this season. Nath Patrick and Chris Broadbent also enhanced their reputation with displays of accuracy, movement and just enough pace to consistently trouble the batsmen. Only one batsmen crossed 50, but this game overall proved the fierce competition predicted.

No refunds for day 5 ticket-holders.

Cricket Web Black 1st Innings 245 all out
Cricket Web Blue 1st Innings 180 all out
Cricket Web Black 2nd Innings 192 all out
Cricket Web Blue 2nd Innings 185 all out
Cricket Web Black won by 72 runs.

Please note that the scheduled fixture for this matchup was at the PDV Dome, but was played at the SCG instead, meaning that the second meeting will be played at the Dome. It was being refurbished. :p

---

England A v Australia A at the WACA
The Mini-Ashes

England 'A' 1st Innings 384 all out
Australia 'A' 1st Innings 300 all out
England 'A' 2nd Innings 236 all out
Australia 'A' 2nd Innings 321 for 3
Australia 'A' won by 7 wkts.

Attachments

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Schedule:

5D:
CW Red v CW Green at Cairns
Australia A v CW Black at the SCG
England A v CW Blue at the PDV Dome

The 12-man squads for tomorrow's games:

Cricket Web Red
Marc71178 (C), Bugssy (vc), Samuel Vimes (wk), Amit Mookerjee, Gibbs N Smith, Andre, Steds, Pratyush, Mr Wright, Dave, David Kennett, A Massive Zebra.

Pratyush and Steds in the 5D squad for the first time as Mookerjee and Bugssy are recalled. Imran Khan Jr., Zaid Ghansar and Nibblet miss out.

Cricket Web Green
Age Master (C), Lo' Darkness (vc), Eyes Only (wk), Cloete, Delkap, Xavier Rose, Nathan Hoy, Blewy, Waughney, Biased Indian, Jamee999, David Jr.

Jamee999 in the squad for the first time. David Jr also returns as Timewell and Loony Bob are out.

Cricket Web Blue
Peter Young (C), Mr Mxyzptlk (vc), Dylan Jellett (wk), Jason Toogood, Craig, StUEy, Broncoman, Nath Patrick, Adam, Daniel Muhaffy, Tom Halsey, Amir Ahmad.

Unchanged.

Cricket Web Black
Neil Pickup (C), Master Blaster (vc), Ash Chaulk (wk), Chris Broadbent, Dark Hunter, Superkingdave, Rich_2001, Eclipse, Ferd, C Buts, Jagaways, David Kearsley.

Kearsley in with a shot at an FC debut.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
sitting on my backside again for the four day game... ah well i wish the boys who took my spot the best of luck in getting the team a victory. o
i'll be watching from the pub though not the ground

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
words cannot explain how heart-braking that was... i bowled my heart out and got 8-for, yet we still lost by a good 70 runs. some excellent individual performances but we couldnt match pickups brilliance.
i said there would be utter despair for the losers... this is worse. if we dont beat England by a country-mile, I will demand a team meeting to sort some things out. i hope this is just a one-off, i hope this just wasnt our day, cause this cannot be a regular thing.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Although it's never nice to be watching the game rather than playing it, I'm thankful for the time off as I've not been performing lately and feel that I'm better off spending some time figuring out what I'm not doing right whilst our team has a better chance of winning. Better to build yourself up for a future game than to be the low scoring member how lets the team down! Good luck to Jamee, hope he manages better than I have lately.

C'mon, Greens, Reds should be easy for us, but don't let your guard down, if we let them have a good day then it'll be a bad day for us. Go get 'em!