• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Ranks the Batsmen

adharcric

International Coach
You can choose anyone you want, there's no list this time

Richards - 20
Grace - 14
Hammond - 7
Lara/Chappell - 5 each
Hutton/Sutcliffe - 1 each

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I really like the fact that you are propagating Grace's case. I dont do it most of the time because I find it more convenient to stick to 20th century and beyond to have slightly more uniform conditions, batting and bowling having evolved to a great degree to where we see it today and most of all, better knowledge of the players of the time through word of mouth as well as the written word.

Not that I think Grace and Spofforth should be devalued but just to take an easy option and also avoid getting into completely pointless arguments :)

Having said that, if I had proposed Grace's name, I would never propose Lara in the same breath , not from the very beginning as you have been doing and certainly not above the old man.

Why ?
Ultimately it's purely personal bias, I suppose. In the grand scheme of things I would agree; Lara isn't even undisputedly the best of his own era whereas WG was lord and master of his. However, much as I can appreciate the arguments for the intrinsic quality of Grace's (or Trumper's or Hobbs's, etc) play, it's hard to remain completely detached from the joy Mr Lara has given me over the years. It's a cliche, but he genuinely was one of those players I'd happily part with hard earned money to watch; even when he was playing against England there was always a tinge of regret when he went cheaply. Cricket is, ultimately, a form of entertainment & BCL has given me more than my money's worth of entertainment over the years.

Plus, of course, if Sachin is ranked no.4, Lara should be at least fifth. :p

So, again:

1) Lara
2) Grace

Unashamededly a BCL fanboy and WG in his pomp was literally twice the player (not a fat gag, btw) of his peers.

adharcric

International Coach
Vote for #6 batsman of all-time

The Doctor's wait continues ...

1. Don Bradman
2. Jack Hobbs
3. Garry Sobers
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Viv Richards

The vote for the #6 batsman of all-time begins now.