• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW decides the greatest All-Rounder ever, 64 man knockout tournament: Voting Thread

viriya

International Captain
This is weird.
I was saying my votes were an attempt to show how nonsensical it is to combine formats when rating. It was a protest in other words.

I was weighing ODI performance to be 99% of my criteria because it is up to the individual to determine what weighting to consider.. showing how it doesn't make sense to combine formats when rating players. Especially when most players have not played all formats.

Last edited:

kyear2

International Coach
I know most may disagree with me, but when looking at all rounders, I factor in all 3 phases of the game. I also believe that batsmen like Chappell who were exceptional in the cordon can also be seen as all rounders as much as a no. 8 batsman who averages in the 20's.

I am pretty sure that a Sobers / Chappell /Hammond contributed as least as many victories with their catching in the cordon as Hadlee / Pollock / Imran did with their batting.

So when you have a Sobers, Kallis or Hammond who are ATG batsmen, great 5th bowlers and elite slip fielder's they come out OK top for me as all rounders and cricketers overall.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know most may disagree with me, but when looking at all rounders, I factor in all 3 phases of the game. I also believe that batsmen like Chappell who were exceptional in the cordon can also be seen as all rounders as much as a no. 8 batsman who averages in the 20's.

I am pretty sure that a Sobers / Chappell /Hammond contributed as least as many victories with their catching in the cordon as Hadlee / Pollock / Imran did with their batting.

So when you have a Sobers, Kallis or Hammond who are ATG batsmen, great 5th bowlers and elite slip fielder's they come out OK top for me as all rounders and cricketers overall.
See the problem with this is you aren't looking at opportunity cost. Sure a lesser fielder in their place would probably drop 1-catch/2-tests more than them on average, but in saying this you're assuming they would be absolute ****e.

kyear2

International Coach
Have you seen some of the catches and half chances that were made into catches by the likes of Sobers, Chappell, Waugh, Richardson etc? And more often that not, those are the ones that change momentum and win matches.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Miller for me. Miller was in the top half of the teams bowling attack (he opened bowling). He was also in the top half of batting (top 5 batsmen). Sobers was clearly the better batsman, but I have never been convinced he was anywhere near the bowler Miller was, and, Bowlers win matches. I have heard many anecdotal accounts of how Miller threw his wicket away because his batting didn't matter, and he didn't care about the personal side of things. He was lucky that he was in Bradman's team where the score was already on the board when he batted. It's easier to find a top class bat to fill out Miller's shortcomings there than a top flight bowler. Sure, Sobers will win, and I'm comfortable with that, but I think Miller's bowling was worth more than Sobers' batting and would choose Miller because of that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Considering Sobers is considered as a very strong contender for second best batsman of all time, to say that Miller's bowling is worth more than that is a complete overstatement.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sobers. One of the prime contenders for second best batsman, gun fielder, versatile bowler, and produced several amazing all-round series in his peak period. Also, I looked up his bowling workload a while back and noticed that he bowled more balls per match than someone like Imran Khan who was a frontline bowler. Sure, he also bowled spin which is easier on the body, but it's still a huge workload for a player to put into his weaker discipline.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
He was also the stock/holding bowler as a spinner back in his early days, to allow WI to attack with the font-line bowlers. He deliberately bowled dry and held up an end. It's the 'penalising a player for doing the job his team needed' argument again. He had much better figures in series where he bowled swing.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Considering Sobers is considered as a very strong contender for second best batsman of all time, to say that Miller's bowling is worth more than that is a complete overstatement.
Sobers 'might' be the second best batsman ever but he is not even remotely near being a Bradman. The difference between 2nd best and 20th best is meh. The difference between the 2nd best bowler and 20th best ever is meh. Bradman aside, I'd take the front line bowler any day of the week over a front line batsman.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sobers 'might' be the second best batsman ever but he is not even remotely near being a Bradman. The difference between 2nd best and 20th best is meh. The difference between the 2nd best bowler and 20th best ever is meh. Bradman aside, I'd take the front line bowler any day of the week over a front line batsman.
Yeah but Miller wouldn't find a place in the top 20 bowlers ever.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Sigh. You just don't want to get my point, do you? 2nd best to 50th best batsmen, not much between them. 2nd best to 50th best bowler - not much between them. You choose the batsman and enjoy all the draws. I'll take Miller and enjoy the moments he wins me games as any top class bowler does.

Sobers is going to win, and probably rightly so.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I can understand the sympathy votes for Miller (I myself did that in the fielders' poll for Viv over Punter) given that he was a rockstar before rockstar-like sportsmen became cool, but it is clear why Sobers is considered the best allrounder of all time by the majority of the cricketing world and now, I guess, CW.