• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Spark

Global Moderator
Simon O'Donnell has decided to get into the trolling game by (sarcastically) proposing a series against India without a test in Sydney.

I think there is a grain of truth in there that the recent pitches (since the Cricket Australia ordered flat decks of the 00's and 00s) have tended to be either slow, or when they're more favourable for bowling, grassy. I think this means that India's fast bowlers, who are shorter but significantly more skilled at moving the ball, don't experience the disadvantage they might have with bouncy pitches with little sideways movement, which favour the taller Australian bowlers.

That said Australia's approach to bowling will need to be more intelligent than it was in the Ashes - don't give easy runs on the pads and be prepared to bore the batsmen by bowling well outside off (but don't do it constantly like the West Indies, and Pakistan at Perth) as India's batsmen know how to score big. As for Australia's batting, it's clearly on the decline. Smith can be tied down by anyone now and the whole edifice is flakey. Frankly I'd give India the greater chance of winning the series without a significant turnaround, especially as Melbourne in particular will practically have an India home crowd.
You keep saying this but aside from Kohli I really don't know if this is true. Rahul is too inconsistent long-term to be trusted, Jaiswal is a real talent but he's brand new, Rohit has always found weird ways to get out after getting a start here and Gill and Iyer have not produced anything like their best home form in away Tests - the former has a less impressive batting record by average than Cam Green, for instance, and is on par with Alex Carey. Meanwhile by far the single biggest headache for the Aus bowlers in recent tours - Pujara - is no longer around.

I'd also caution the idea that they're significantly more skilled at moving the ball. Did you see how they bowled last week? I know Shami will probably be back, but that was dismal stuff from most of them. I'm personally of the opinion that this India side has past its peak and will decline from here as it moves into a transitory phase. Incredibly dangerous at home but like this Aus team pushed India hard at home and I don't think any of us really rated that as a high possibility. Mind you Australia's team is probably in a similar spot, so it's to be seen who manages that transition better.

The biggest question actually is Head. What we've really missed in the last two series is someone who can really break the rhythm of the Indian bowlers and get the scoreboard moving, rather than just allowing the Indian seamers and Ashwin/Jadeja to apply relentless pressure and keep the scoreboard under control. I'm of the opinion that the Indian seam attack, like the Aus attack, is at its most vulnerable when attacked, so in principle Head is the most important player in the Aus lineup in that instance.

Shady Slim

International Coach
also over and above all that we’re the home team and it’s pure chicken**** to go into a home series fearing getting torn up on your home turf by bowlers from the away team

roll out the welcome mat by grinding them into the dirt in the early matches, we’re australia, not england, we don’t do that sort of fear of shadows lol

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol at the bowling attack

Did no one else really perform better than anyone in the Indian attack over that period?

Chubb

International Regular
I thought this would be a good place for a warning.

On September 23, I rolled my ankle during a practice match. There was a lot of pain and swelling, but I assumed it was ligament damage and would heal up with a couple of weeks’ rest. I told everyone I was fine, gritted my teeth, put on my fake “tough Zimbabwean” accent and decided not to get any medical advice.

After three weeks I hobbled back to training. I’ve played eight matches so far and regularly cycled 20km. My ankle was still sore at Christmas and I went for an x-ray today, turns out it is fractured. I’ve played half a season of cricket on a fractured ankle.

One of the guys said I was a warrior. But it’s not strength, it’s not being tough and it’s not showing you are a hardcase like Andy Flower or Ray Price, it’s being ****ing stupid. Because I went from a competent lower grade player to a liability. And now I’ll likely need a moon boot and miss several matches in the high summer (yet to get a treatment plan) instead of missing a couple of games at the start of the year. I am an idiot.

If you get injured in a game, go to A&E. Get it seen to quickly. It is not weak, your teammates won’t think any less of you, and you’re not showing how tough you are by being a stubborn fool.

Warning over!

Image (1).jpg

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I thought this would be a good place for a warning.

On September 23, I rolled my ankle during a practice match. There was a lot of pain and swelling, but I assumed it was ligament damage and would heal up with a couple of weeks’ rest. I told everyone I was fine, gritted my teeth, put on my fake “tough Zimbabwean” accent and decided not to get any medical advice.

After three weeks I hobbled back to training. I’ve played eight matches so far and regularly cycled 20km. My ankle was still sore at Christmas and I went for an x-ray today, turns out it is fractured. I’ve played half a season of cricket on a fractured ankle.

One of the guys said I was a warrior. But it’s not strength, it’s not being tough and it’s not showing you are a hardcase like Andy Flower or Ray Price, it’s being ****ing stupid. Because I went from a competent lower grade player to a liability. And now I’ll likely need a moon boot and miss several matches in the high summer (yet to get a treatment plan) instead of missing a couple of games at the start of the year. I am an idiot.

If you get injured in a game, go to A&E. Get it seen to quickly. It is not weak, your teammates won’t think any less of you, and you’re not showing how tough you are by being a stubborn fool.

Warning over!

View attachment 38648

Take care mate. Hope you recover fully real soon.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not dissimilar to what my young bloke did the preseason but fortunately it was picked up because we cajoled him into getting it looked at. Hope you’re on the mend soon

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
My point isn't really to moan about the modern bats. It is to propose a possible theory impacting modern batting. But to get to this you'll need to read past a few paragraphs of me moaning about modern bats ....

I've been watching a lot of 80s and 90s cricket on youtube lately because the NZ cricket summer sucks. Then transferring to watch a bit of current cricket. Which has got me thinking about modern bats, and how the ball races to the boundary.

In the 80s/90s games - there was interest/intrigue/excitement watching the competing trajectories of ball v fielder v boundary. Unsure which will prevail until about 5 metres from completion.

Now. The commentator's cliched platitude of "that was 4 from the moment it left the bat" is just empty and meaningless cliche.

Anyway. The possible theory impacting modern batting. (Test cricket only, of course ... )

Are there less 1s and 3s now because of "that was 4 from the moment it left the bat"?
Therefore are batsmen getting 'stuck' more often at an end facing 6 consecutive deliveries from the same bowler?

The 'ole Warne trusim of "I don't mind getting hit for 4, I hated getting hit for a single"

Is this a factor in the short tests we are seeing lately? Batsmen getting runs, but also getting worked over and getting dismissed before seeing off the danger men?

It would be a fascinating data query from some boffin at cricviz.

But seperating causation/correlation would be a nightmare. Combined with other influences happening around the same time like; DRS, influence of T20 batting on techniques, more recently spicy home pitches during the WTC era. etc

Chubb

International Regular
My cricket season is over and I can't cycle or hike either. Basically everything I like to do in the summer is out for the next three months.

On the plus side, I don't need an operation or a moon boot.

I've joined a gym for something to stay active otherwise I will end up deserving my username, for the first time in 20 years.

If I'd just got it seen to in September I'd be fixed by now.