• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

indie2

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
SJS said:
PG Coman of New Zealand.(opening batsman)
Played one against Pakistan at home in Feb 1972(and another two against Australia next year) but never played in test matches.
yup -- too simple for you!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
membersstand said:
That's where the torture comes in...
It's not a serious question...
Mate, I am not sure what's happening here, but the nature of the questions on this thread are getting wierd and silly !! This obviously was intended to be funny, but there are questions being posted on this thread which are bordering on plain rubbish and nothing to do with cricket at all !!

Now SJS I thought was posting serious questions until recently he seems to have gone off the plonker as well !! I blame it on you fellas :D . Its your bad influence thats driving poor SJS up the creek as well.

He started with house where WG Grace was born. OK by stretching the limits of aceptability we can take it as Cricket Trivia, but the recent one absolutely takes the cake !! And confirms my recent observations !! :-O :huh:

SJS has gone off the rocker as well in posting plain silly questions . Previously someone did make the observation and SJS was p*ssed off . But SJS Mate, get a hold of yourself !!

We have a responsibility to maintain the standard of this thread and not encourage the posting of questions which are totaly unrelated to cricket, because we will then turn people away from this thread !!

I am just simply disappointed by the nature of the questions that are being posted lately ! :-O

Just my humble request to everyone posting on this thread !!

Please try and post questions which are cricket and cricket only !! :mellow:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Mate, I am not sure what's happening here, but the nature of the questions on this thread are getting wierd and silly !! This obviously was intended to be funny, but there are questions being posted on this thread which are bordering on plain rubbish and nothing to do with cricket at all !!

Now SJS I thought was posting serious questions until recently he seems to have gone off the plonker as well !! I blame it on you fellas :D . Its your bad influence thats driving poor SJS up the creek as well.

He started with house where WG Grace was born. OK by stretching the limits of aceptability we can take it as Cricket Trivia, but the recent one absolutely takes the cake !! And confirms my recent observations !! :-O :huh:

SJS has gone off the rocker as well in posting plain silly questions . Previously someone did make the observation and SJS was p*ssed off . But SJS Mate, get a hold of yourself !!

We have a responsibility to maintain the standard of this thread and not encourage the posting of questions which are totaly unrelated to cricket, because we will then turn people away from this thread !!

I am just simply disappointed by the nature of the questions that are being posted lately ! :-O

Just my humble request to everyone posting on this thread !!

Please try and post questions which are cricket and cricket only !!
:mellow:
:gora:

Last edited:

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
We need another question to get back on track. Given that I'm gone in half an hour and won't be back for a week I won't ask it..

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
membersstand said:
We need another question to get back on track. Given that I'm gone in half an hour and won't be back for a week I won't ask it..
Okay. I am going ahead to atone for my past sins :happy:

1. Which is the oldest record available of the colour of the cricket ball ?
2. What is so remarkable about the colour of the cricket ball being crimson ?

Answer both to be called The Complete Guru.

shankar

International Debutant
I've got one.

"I met X at a match in England several years before he was into the international side and asked for his autograph," Y recalled. He said he didnt have the time. "When we beat them in the cricket world cup I went upto him and said, 'A few years ago I asked for your autograph and you wouldnt give it. Now I am saying you can have mine.'"

Who are X and Y?

Last edited:

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
The heavy modern-type ball with wound core and thick leather cover did not come into use much before 1760 when Richard Duke of Penshurst, Kent was making first class balls between 1748 and 1762. He is credited with inventing the modern ball. There is mention of a crimson ball in 1753 and this may be a reference to one of Duke's balls.

Looking for 2 now

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
membersstand said:
The heavy modern-type ball with wound core and thick leather cover did not come into use much before 1760 when Richard Duke of Penshurst, Kent was making first class balls between 1748 and 1762. He is credited with inventing the modern ball. There is mention of a crimson ball in 1753 and this may be a reference to one of Duke's balls.

Looking for 2 now
Sorry M'stand. I am looking for the first instance , on record, that mentions that the colour of the cricket ball was crimson.

1753 is correct as the year but where specifically was it mentioned ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
It happens to everyone when they get to a certain age ;)
(No offence meant!)[/QUOTE]
Loads taken though :@

Kidding.

I am amazed that when so much ridiculous stuff, masquerading as serious passionate discourse, is tolerated on this forum, why a little bit of fun cant be tolerated on a fun thread like a quiz-thread ?

I wonder.....