• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
It will be cricket not maths ;) *runs off to CricInfo*

1st October 2004 14:19 GMT

What is unusual about the last ODI and Test?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Jamee999 said:
It will be cricket not maths ;) *runs off to CricInfo*

1st October 2004 14:19 GMT

What is unusual about the last ODI and Test?
You mean 1st November ??

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Since Neil has not posted a question (and seeing he's moderating currently), I wonder Neil if we could revert to this question, If you have no other question in mind ?

Which Test had the highest attendance over 5 days ?
Which series is recorded as the series with the highest attendance for any series?

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
Since Neil has not posted a question (and seeing he's moderating currently), I wonder Neil if we could revert to this question, If you have no other question in mind ?

Which Test had the highest attendance over 5 days ?
Which series is recorded as the series with the highest attendance for any series?
Clues : It was a series in which the greatest ever cricketer was Captain.

It was also one of the greatest come backs in a series, in Test cricket history (if not the greatest come back in a series).

England was captained surprisingly by a gentleman born in Australia !!

If all these clues Can't get the answer nothing will !!

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Clues : It was a series in which the greatest ever cricketer was Captain.

It was also one of the greatest come backs in a series, in Test cricket history (if not the greatest come back in a series).

England was captained surprisingly by a gentleman born in Australia !!

If all these clues Can't get the answer nothing will !!
Ashes 1934 !!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tapioca said:
Don Bradman, Gubby Allen, Ashes 1936/7
Correct ! I would have been very very disappointed if no-one had got it after all the clues that were given.

The third Test played at the MCG (which was a time less Test) on 1,2,4,5,6,7 January 1937 attracted 350,534 spectators !!

The series(of 5 tests) in total attracted 943,000 spectators !!

The fifth Test which was also played at the MCG despite being the series decider finished in 5 days, which must be the reason why it didn't break the record set by the 3rd Test.

It was an amazing come back in that, England won the first Test by 322 runs (with Voce and Allen taking the wickets as Australia were dismissed for 58 in the second innings with Don Bradman being out for a second ball Duck) and the second Test by an innings and 22 runs (Australia dismissed for 80 in the first innings with the Don making a golden duck !! ).

The Australian resurgence began in the 3rd Test as Australia won it by 365 runs (with the Don making 270 in the second innings) and the series was levelled at Adelaide in the 4th Test as (Australia won by 148 runs with the Don making 212).

The amazing comeback was completed in the 5th Test also at the MCG when Australia won by an innings and 200 runs (with the Don making 169, with Stan McCabe 112, Jack Badcock 118), to complete one of the most incredible turnarounds in Test cricket history to win the series 3-2.

Over to Tapioca for next question. :sport:

Last edited:

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
JCW MacBryan has a unique record. He played one test match. It was interrupted by rain. He did not bat, bowl or make a catch or a stumping and was never picked for another test match.

A Sri Lankan broke that record a few years ago. On his debut the match was interrupted by rain. He did not bat, bowl, and did not even field (which MacBryan did) , and was promptly dropped from the side.

Unfortunately, he was picked again to play test cricket after two years, so MacBryan is once again the sole holder of the record.

Who was this Sri Lankan ?

You are free to google !

bryce

International Regular
Hewasandatchige Asiri Prasanna Wishvanath Jayawardene
or
Prasanna Jayawardene
or
H.A.P.W Jayawardene

its the same person btw.

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Hewasandatchige
Lovely name !

It was Prasanna Jayawardene. his debut was in the game where Jayasuriya and Atapattu added 335 for the first wicket against Pakistan, after which rain stopped play.

bryce

International Regular
yeah that first one is his full name, anyway my question.

Which former New Zealand cricketer's ex-wife also played international cricket for New Zealand ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
bryce said:
yeah that first one is his full name, anyway my question.

Which former New Zealand cricketer's ex-wife also played international cricket for New Zealand ?
Karen Hadlee wife of Sir Richard played one ODI for NZ women's cricket Team.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Since I know my answer is correct, (while awaiting Bryce to confirm it) I will go ahead with next question (This is an absolute Corker!!).

[ Since we are awaiting the result of the US presidential election, I thought I would post a question related to that !! :laugh: ]

Question -

Who was the first US president to watch a cricket Test Match ? :D

Which Test did he watch and where ?

Answer to question in red will be adequate !! :laugh:

I know its hard, So I will give a clue !! :p
He was a military leader before assuming presidency !! (more clues if required later )

[ I do hope my mate George Dubya makes it again !! :) ]

Last edited:

Joao_Quinto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I have a book somewhere that has the answer to that but I dont know where it is.
I think it was in the 50's and I know it was the slowest day in test cricket history. Probably why no other Presidents come back.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Joao_Quinto said:
I have a book somewhere that has the answer to that but I dont know where it is.
I think it was in the 50's
You are not very far from the correct answer !!