• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SJS said:
I think the fun of a quiz for me, I would like to presume, for most others, is to test my knowledge of the game and its history.
I agree, and I try to not answer if I can't get it without Googling.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
Bert Ironmonger [am not cheating :) ]
For the benefit of others please give a bit more details. Like how old was he and when did he do it. These details can be provided by the one who answers, if he knows, or the one who asks.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
For the benefit of others please give a bit more details. Like how old was he and when did he do it. These details can be provided by the one who answers, if he knows, or the one who asks.
He was 49 years 312 days when he took 6/18 in the second innings in the fifth Test for Australia V South Africa Feb 13, 1932 at the MCG . (also took 5/6 in the first innings)

Last edited:

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Among the old men to take 5 WI is Frank Woolley. Woolley took 3 5 WIs in 1912 when he was only 25. He took another 5WI for the fourth and last time in 1930, after a gap of 17 years and 5 months.

Which cricketer played two test matches in 1986/7, some 17 years after playing his previous two ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tapioca said:
Among the old men to take 5 WI is Frank Woolley. Woolley took 3 5 WIs in 1912 when he was only 25. He took another 5WI for the fourth and last time in 1930, after a gap of 17 years and 5 months.

Which cricketer played two test matches in 1986/7, some 17 years after playing his previous two ?
Younis Ahmed

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tapioca said:
Knew you would crack it in no time, but couldn't think of anything good to ask :(
OKay, Here's a good one then.

This cricketer's entire First Class career consists of the solitary Test he played where he made a duck. No other FC cricket before or after that.
Who is he ?

Last edited:

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
I would guess that it was one of the South Africans who played in 1888 or 1895. Am I on the right track ?

Don't think I would get it OTOH, anyway.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tapioca said:
I would guess that it was one of the South Africans who played in 1888 or 1895. Am I on the right track ?

Don't think I would get it OTOH, anyway.
Wrong country, Correct year :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Joseph McMaster

Profile:
Birth of the man whose entire first-class career consisted of a duck in his only Test. Joseph McMaster made a duck at No. 9 for an under-strength England against South Africa at Cape Town in 1888-89, but he couldn't get on - thanks mainly to Johnny Briggs, who took 15 for 26. In what was their second Test, South Africa were bowled out for 47 and 43, and McMaster never got another go. His entire first-class career lasted less than two days.

source : Cricketinfo

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Play being stopped by bad light, rain and even snow is known to have happened but when did a match get interupted
a) Earthquake
b) Bright sunlight

:p :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Okay here is the first set of hints.
1. The first (interrupted by earthquake) was an ODI
2. The second was a test match

and neither was in England.