• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

irfan

State Captain
is the record shared the most deliveries faced by a lower order player 8,9,10 etc and its unlikely to be rivalled cos of 8 ball overs/60 over a side?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
irfan said:
is the record shared the most deliveries faced by a lower order player 8,9,10 etc and its unlikely to be rivalled cos of 8 ball overs/60 over a side?
Q 15 is the record shared the most deliveries faced by a lower order player 8,9,10 etc and its unlikely to be rivalled cos of 8 ball overs/60 over a side? No.

Clue - It is related to batting position Number 7 . But there's more to the record than just that !

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
What sort of batting record can a batsman at number 7 get in ODIs thats likely to be hard to equal ? Thats pretty simple.

Think of the nature of ODIs and limitations of innings !! It can possibly be bettered if the circumstances allowed . But the nature of ODIs means it will be difficult to even equal let alone better by another !

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
What sort of batting record can a batsman at number 7 get in ODIs thats likely to be hard to equal ? Thats pretty simple.

Think of the nature of ODIs and limitations of innings !! It can possibly be bettered if the circumstances allowed . But the nature of ODIs means it will be difficult to even equal let alone better by another !
Did they score a ton?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Q16 Did they score a ton ? Yes .
So why the hell is it a record , and who are they ? :D
Does it have to do with scoring a hundred after coming in to bat after the, say, 25th over or something ?

If yes, I hope you havent made a mistake since Kapil, who I would have named much earlier but for the fact that he batted at number six and not seven.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tilakratne and Mohammad Kaif?

I would have said that earlier but I cant link this to the 60 over game which I thought was somehow connected, nor can I see what the record is that cant be equalled.
I am lost :huh:

PS: The other thing I notice is that both were playing on neutral venues. :huh: Still lost

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
So these two, if thats the answer, got a hundred batting at number seven, which is the highest score for their respective countries at that position in the batting order for ODI's. Both did it on neutral venues.

Both had come into bat pretty late in the innings but I still dont know why this cant be equalled. So I may be totally off track :-O

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
So these two, if thats the answer, got a hundred batting at number seven, which is the highest score for their respective countries at that position in the batting order for ODI's. Both did it on neutral venues.

Both had come into bat pretty late in the innings but I still dont know why this cant be equalled. So I may be totally off track :-O
I think Jason said it was unlikely to be equalled :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
but why ??

BTW. These are the only two century makers at number 7 according to what i can see.

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
but why ??

BTW. These are the only two century makers at number 7 according to what i can see.
So that is two in how many thousands of games? A low % I suppose that is what he was hinting at? :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
So that is two in how many thousands of games? A low % I suppose that is what he was hinting at? :)
Thats like saying Tendulkars 35 centuries cant be equalled since it hasnt been done even once in 130 years of test cricket :)

Lets look at it this way,
India did it once in 605 games.
Sri Lanka once in 473 games.
A lot of the other countries are due to do it you know some over due in fact :p

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
Thats like saying Tendulkars 35 centuries cant be equalled since it hasnt been done even once in 130 years of test cricket :)

Lets look at it this way,
India did it once in 605 games.
Sri Lanka once in 473 games.
A lot of the other countries are due to do it you know some over due in fact :p
Some one once started a thread called 'hear hear let me your hear' I think the point was you can make stats say what ever you want :p :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Some one once started a thread called 'hear hear let me your hear' I think the point was you can make stats say what ever you want :p :D
You disappoint me Archie Mac :@

It was ...Hear, Hear, Hear : Lend me your Ear

That reminds me there is some work left undone there. :-O

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Tilakratne and Mohammad Kaif?

I would have said that earlier but I cant link this to the 60 over game which I thought was somehow connected, nor can I see what the record is that cant be equalled.
I am lost :huh:

PS: The other thing I notice is that both were playing on neutral venues. :huh: Still lost
Well done SJS. That is the record. That is the lowest batting position from where a Century has been scored in ODIs. It is difficult to see a number 8 scoring a century in ODIs let alone a number 9,10,11.

**one has to await McGrath to do the unthinkable :D :D *

Your turn SJS.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
I said highly unlikely but plausible if circumstances were such in favour. ie solid partnership, good no.s 8,9,10 in support ! :D

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
Exactly my point !! In nearly 30 years of ODI cricket only 2 number 7s have scored centuries at Number 7. It may take less than a year before a number 8 or 9 scores a century . But the chances are remote .

I rest my case !! :D

BTW my money for number 8 would be on Brett Lee or Daniel Vettori/Jacob Oram to do it. Unless a front line batsman cames late in the order following an injury and does it !! :D