• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Jamee : yes

SJS : it has to do with something that happened on the middle of the cricket field.

Hint 2 - The Indian is P Sen

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
No, jlo & archie.

All these players played sometime between 1920 and 1950. Does that ring any bells ?

PS : ... but nothing to do with the wars or something that they did 'between the wars'

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q1. Would the Arthur in question be an umpire ?

Q2. If yes, would it be Arthur Jepson (the Nottingham fast bowler between the wars)?

Although the incident I have in mind went like this.

In the Gillette cup final in 1971 (famously known as the 'lamplight match", Jepson was the umpire and with the clock approachin 9 PM !!! Jack Bond the fielding captain asked Arthur what he thought of the light. Jepson looked skywards and asked Bond what he saw up there. Bond replied "The moon"

`Well how far do you want to see?' replied Jepson coolly !! :D

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
Q1. Would the Arthur in question be an umpire ?

Q2. If yes, would it be Arthur Jepson (the Nottingham fast bowler between the wars)?

Although the incident I have in mind went like this.

In the Gillette cup final in 1971 (famously known as the 'lamplight match", Jepson was the umpire and with the clock approachin 9 PM !!! Jack Bond the fielding captain asked Arthur what he thought of the light. Jepson looked skywards and asked Bond what he saw up there. Bond replied "The moon"

`Well how far do you want to see?' replied Jepson coolly !! :D
I liked that story :D

When I said easy, I was being facetious :p

But here is a clue: think radio broadcasting (early)

archie mac

International Coach
Tapioca said:
I have no idea ! Gilligan is the only cricketing Arthur that I know from the time.
Aruthur Gilligan, Alan McGilvray and another person were the three main radio commentators on Australian radio.

The third person and the answer to the Q is the most famous grandfather in Australian cricket :)