• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
You may as well be right jlo. I think Howstat may be wrong because

- Ali Naqvi WAS an opener and did open in other games too.
- Ali Rizvi was a bowler too and did get two wickets in the test in question(one of them caught by Ali Naqvi)

Howstat in giving Ali Naqvi's complete career figures shows him as not having batted in this particular innings thus reducing his career runs by 30 as compared to Cricinfo's tally of 242

Stunning. I have always used Howstat's figures since they are easily pasted onto the Excel format and used further. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
In the meantime we can assume with fair degree of confidence that Cricinfo is correct. Ali Rizvi has a first class batting average around 7 and never opened in his life so why would he be opening in a test.

Ali Naqvi on the other hand averages in the 30's and was an opener with 10 hundreds including one in a test match as an opener. I think we can safely presume that Howstat blundered and you are right in saying that Timpthy lloyd is the only one to have opened in a test and never been out.

BTW, just for information the nearest a batsman comes to him is Charles Parker who batted at one down in the second innings (not having batted in the first sceduled at number 9 in the order) for England vs Australia at Old Trafford in 1921, scored 3 not out and never played again in a test match.

Neil, your turn. :)

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
SJS, I think CricInfo is correct in this case and I've often found anomalies in the figures on Howstat. I looked this same data up on another excellent (and very reliable) site - www.cricketarchive.co.uk

foe

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
SJS said:
You may as well be right jlo. I think Howstat may be wrong because

- Ali Naqvi WAS an opener and did open in other games too.
- Ali Rizvi was a bowler too and did get two wickets in the test in question(one of them caught by Ali Naqvi)

i think its quite safe to say that Howstat is wrong on that one

Ali Naqvi was an opener for akistan in all his 5 tests...had never heard of Ali Rizvi before this :p

Naqvi & azhar Mahmood had both scored centuries on debut in the same test..that was the first time 2 debutants scored centuries in the same innings ( Ganguly & Dravid narrowly missed out, the year before)

archie mac

International Coach
I am yet to see Neil ask a Q, after he as answered one correct (I could be wrong, I got this from Cricinfo)

So maybe someone else could ask the next Q :)

archie mac

International Coach
burkey_1988 said:
As in 'a bag of wickets'?
I think (because it is a very old saying) it is when someone drops a catch in the outfield. They then say 'Get a bag'

He also said 'Bowl him a piano and see if he can play that'

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think I asked one once... I'm generally too lazy to a) look something up, and b) check it's not already been asked. More fun lurking and pulling the odd random answer out!

I think that saying's a bit earlier than Merv - more 1930s, perhaps?

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
Pure guesswork...Merv Hughes ??
Neil is right much earlier.

Here is the give away he was also credited with saying to Jardine "leave our flys alone, their the only friends you have'

He is the most famous barracker in Aust. cricket history
:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Neil is right much earlier.

Here is the give away he was also credited with saying to Jardine "leave our flys alone, their the only friends you have'

He is the most famous barracker in Aust. cricket history
:)
Stephen "Yabba" Gascoigne, the famous Sydney "hill" barracker of the inter war period.