• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They were both Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1981?

And BTW, if (and it is a big IF) I am right and am not online to post the next question, anyone can post the next one

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
honestbharani said:

And BTW, if (and it is a big IF) I am right and am not online to post the next question, anyone can post the next one
Other cricketers would have won it in 1981 as well. So it would not separate the two from ALL other cricketers.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:

NO. Thats not unique to these two.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
All I can find is that they have both each batted on all five days of a Test, but others have done this also. Anyway, is this anything to do with it?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
All I can find is that they have both each batted on all five days of a Test, but others have done this also. Anyway, is this anything to do with it?
Yes. I wiull give that to you. The unique thing is that they are the only two to have done it at Lords :p

Your turn,

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Yes. I wiull give that to you. The unique thing is that they are the only two to have done it at Lords :p

Your turn,
Very generous of you there :). I was thinking along the lines of the only ones to do it in a winning or losing side but that didn't bear any fruit.

Question: Eddie Paynter was the first to do this in Test cricket. What was it?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
Very generous of you there :). I was thinking along the lines of the only ones to do it in a winning or losing side but that didn't bear any fruit.

Question: Eddie Paynter was the first to do this in Test cricket. What was it?
Win a Test with a six ?

Come off sick bed to bat for his Team ?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
Win a Test with a six ?
Yeah, that's it. Pretty easy, eh? I haven't really been into the trivia lately, and I really couldn't be bothered finding a decent question :(

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question
Which English Cricket Author's work (or book of prose and verse ) is the following poem from ?

More mighty than the bat, the pen,
And mightier still as we grow old,
And hence I needs must scribble when
I'd fain be bowling - or be bowled
Yet thoughts, whate'er the task, will stray
To work they never wholly yield;
And mine, on every sunny day,
Are in the field, in the field!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Pedro Delgado said:
Willow and Leather. E.V Lucas.
Well done. The book by the way is called " Cricket All His Life: Cricket Writings in Prose and Verse" .

Your turn to post next question. :)

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Sorry for a minor hijack. This comes from the 'age' thread, but belongs more here.

SJS, if you don't mind can you write something more about Buck Divecha, his family background etc.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
Sorry for a minor hijack. This comes from the 'age' thread, but belongs more here.

SJS, if you don't mind can you write something more about Buck Divecha, his family background etc.
I am so glad you asked that Tapioca. I have been thinking for some time that I will write an article on him. I think I will do that right away. Coming weekend that is, and post it on the forum if James will have it.

Divecha, Ramesh Vithaldas, died on February 19, 2003, aged 75, having suffered from Alzheimer's disease. "Buck" Divecha played in India's first Test victory, against England at Madras in 1951-52, and 11 different first-class sides in all, but his golden days were spent at Oxford. He could swing the ball both ways at a brisk but accurate medium-pace, which had been honed under Alf Gover's tuition, and was an enthusiastic middle-order bat. Later, he added offbreaks to his repertoire, and used both bowling methods to remarkable effect in the 1950 and 1951 Varsity matches, culminating in 1951 when he took seven for 62 in the second innings and spun Oxford to a thrilling 21-run victory. Barely a week later he was back at Lord's taking five for 81 (including Compton and Hutton) for the Gentlemen against the Players. Divecha played four Tests against England over the next 13 months to less effect, but he took a hat-trick on the 1952 tour in a surprising win over the ultimate champions Surrey, swiftly followed by eight for 74 against Glamorgan. He was called up the following winter against Pakistan at Madras, where he trapped 18-year-old Hanif Mohammad lbw. Thereafter, his work as an oil company executive limited Divecha to a handful of Ranji Trophy appearances. "He was a cheerful and amusing character who loved to bowl," recalled his Oxford contemporary, Donald Carr.

Last edited:

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
JASON said:
Well done. The book by the way is called " Cricket All His Life: Cricket Writings in Prose and Verse" .

Your turn to post next question. :)
Cheers. Can't really think of a good 'un at the moment so I'll defer for now to keep the thread going, I'll be back.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Dedicated to JASON: And his large colourful fonts

Which record did Australia nearly break in the final Ashes Test? They missed out by just 2 runs!