• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
*brings the thread back to the main page*
Well it also brings me back in the frame :wacko:

I post a question, which is not vague by any standards. It is prety interesting I think. It may require some research but so what and yet no one attempts ??? :huh:

Here it is again...

Which is the only instance of all 22 players bowling in a first class cricket match !!

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmm...interesting question. WIll definitely take some research but some clues might be handy. *hint*

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
*wonders if this is SJS's attempt to sabotage this thread (and put it eternally out of the main page)* :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I honestly feel this is a very interesting question. But if you suspect my motives please go ahead and post a question yourself as has been done earlier

*sulks in his corner*

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
I honestly feel this is a very interesting question. But if you suspect my motives please go ahead and post a question yourself as has been done earlier

*sulks in his corner*
I doubt he was questioning your motives man.

We are trying to find the answer by every means, hook/crook but are not able to. Perhaps a hint would give some sort of respite.

Or maybe not. You are the C Guru for the moment so you decide.

Its a very interesting question.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
I doubt he was questioning your motives man.

We are trying to find the answer by every means, hook/crook but are not able to. Perhaps a hint would give some sort of respite.

Or maybe not. You are the C Guru for the moment so you decide.

Its a very interesting question.
I am not upset Pratyush just pretending to be. I suppose i am getting a reputation for being a touchy old man. Better be careful :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I know only three things about the match.
- The two teams
- the year and
- the venue.

I have given away one.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Search for the exact score card of the match on www.cricketarchive.com if/when you have time. I know you wont give more hints for the time being but might as well know more about the historic match about which you will tell us 10-12 years later ;)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Search for the exact score card of the match on www.cricketarchive.com if/when you have time. I know you wont give more hints for the time being but might as well know more about the historic match about which you will tell us 10-12 years later ;)
I realise now its a tough one since I cant find it anywhere except the book in which I find it. A very authentic source I hasten to add.

Okay here is another hint.

It was a light heaqrted festival game but accorded first class status !!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Number of grounds with the name Hastings : 6

Central recreation grounds, Hastings
Cornwall Park, Hastings
Horntye Park, Hastings
Nelson Cricket Ground, Hastings
Priory Meadow, Hastings
RM Hooper Oval, Hastings

YIKES the plot thickens

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
I realise now its a tough one since I cant find it anywhere except the book in which I find it. A very authentic source I hasten to add.

Okay here is another hint.

It was a light heaqrted festival game but accorded first class status !!
FOURTH HINT : The match was played in the 60's

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It was a tour match during the Ashes tour of 1964

Australia in England, 1964
AER Gilligan's XI v Australians
Central Recreation Ground, Hastings
2,3,4 September 1964 (3-day match)

Here are the bowling analysis for all the innings :-

Australian Bowling in Gilligan XI's two innings

Bowling O M R W
McKenzie 6 1 20 0
Connolly 4 0 17 0
Redpath 4 0 26 0
Martin 24 3 110 3
Veivers 13.1 5 21 3
Sellers 21 7 86 2
Cowper 13 0 76 0

Bowling O M R W
McKenzie 4 0 19 1
Connolly 4 1 14 0
Redpath 3 0 11 1
Veivers 10.2 4 20 3
Sellers 15 2 51 1
Cowper 4 1 12 1
Booth 11 1 63 0
Lawry 4 0 23 0
O'Neill 5 0 15 0
Grout 2 0 22 1

AER Gilligan Xi in Australia'a two innings

Bowling O M R W
Cotton 10 0 37 2
Jones 4 1 18 0
Thomson 8 2 24 0
Pressdee 17 2 83 5
Barlow 3 0 12 0
Oakman 10 5 19 1
Suttle 7 0 45 1
Mushtaq Mohammad 5 1 27 1

Bowling O M R W
Cotton 7 0 19 0
Thomson 12 2 24 1
Pressdee 17 1 100 3
Oakman 15 4 52 1
Suttle 17 4 47 2
D'Oliveira 13 3 66 1
Norman 1 0 8 0
Parks 3 0 25 0

For the records, Australia won by 2 wkts.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Since the last one backfired here is another.

Which is the only instance of ten different fielders taking ten catches in a single first class innings !!!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
Since the last one backfired here is another.

Which is the only instance of ten different fielders taking ten catches in a single first class innings !!!
http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Scorecards/f/26/f26736.html

Lucky Eddie already asked this question albeit a bit differently asking what was unique about this specific match giving the score card on 26/7/2004. Swervy was able to get it right in the specific instance. I wouldnt claim the title as it is a question already asked.

Cheers.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Scorecards/f/26/f26736.html

Lucky Eddie already asked this question albeit a bit differently asking what was unique abou this specific match giving the score card on 26/7/2004. Swervy was able to get it right on the instance. I wouldnt claim the title as it is a question already asked.

Cheers.
Ok. Here is another attempt :)

Whats the maximum number of fities in a first class innings and when was this done ??

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
There were 8 scores of fifty or more in one of the Australian innings in the following match: Australians v Oxford & Cambridge Universities at Portsmouth, 1893

However, this includes centuries (I think). If this is wrong, do you mean most scores between 50 and 99 in a first class innings?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
There were 8 scores of fifty or more in one of the Australian innings in the following match: Australians v Oxford & Cambridge Universities at Portsmouth, 1893

However, this includes centuries (I think). If this is wrong, do you mean most scores between 50 and 99 in a first class innings?
Yes thats correct. Its amazing that the record has stood unbroken for 112 years :-O

Your turn.