• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry I couldn't post a question Jason ... my Internet was down for a few days

The two individuals are Lord Harris and Lord Hawke.

Is it possible one similarity is that they were both Lords?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
Sorry I couldn't post a question Jason ... my Internet was down for a few days

The two individuals are Lord Harris and Lord Hawke.

Is it possible one similarity is that they were both Lords?
Yes . But what are the other two ? :) :)

A characteristic story of Lord Harris used to be told by George Hearne. Joining his captain, who was well set and batting in fine form, Hearne, almost directly he went in, found himself called upon to attempt a sharp single. To Hearne’s idea there existed no chance of a run being obtained and he momentarily hesitated but, seeing Lord Harris coming, Hearne responded and, as he expected, was run out several yards. As he retired from the wicket, Hearne had to pass Lord Harris who — very hot-tempered as a young man — muttered, "Damn little fool. Serve you jolly well right. Why the devil don’t you come when you’re called?" Having sacrificed his own wicket to save that of his captain, Hearne naturally thought these words rather hard. Some time later Lord Harris got out and walked across to where Hearne and the other professionals were sitting. "George," said he, "that was no run." "No, my lord," replied George, "I didn’t think it was." "Why then did you come?" he was asked. "Well, I saw you coming and thought your wicket was worth more than mine." "Another time I do a silly thing like that," said Lord Harris, "don’t you come. I beg your pardon."

' His treatment of a drunken Bobby Peel has gone into the game’s folklore – he ******ed him off the field and, as Peel himself sarcastically noted: "Lord Hawke put his arm round me and helped me off the ground - and out of first-class cricket. What a gentleman!" '

Last edited:

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Harris personally invited Lord Hawke and his MCC team to tour India ... anything to do with that?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
well, Lord Harris played for Kent and Oxford University and Lord Hawke played for Yorkshire and Cambridge University ... anything to do with that (the universities especially)?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
well, Lord Harris played for Kent and Oxford University and Lord Hawke played for Yorkshire and Cambridge University ... anything to do with that (the universities especially)?
NO :)

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Harris captained in all 4 of his Tests and Hawke didn't captain any of his 5 (I think)

I'm a bit stumped

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
Harris captained in all 4 of his Tests and Hawke didn't captain any of his 5 (I think)
I'm a bit stumped
You are wrong Mate. Hawke captained 4 of the 5 Tests he played. But He must have been one of the members of British Aristocracy who were not only gifted a position in the England Team (because they funded some of the tours then - through long ship voyages etc.) but also were gifted the Captaincy. Bit like Vizzy (Maharajah of Vizhianagram who was given Indian Captaincy in 1936).

Look at Hawke's averages and add to this the fact that despite not being a bowler either he came in to bat at number 11 in 2 or 3 of his 5 Tests !! Very dodgey selection IMO !! :D :D

TESTS
(career)
M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 Ct St
Batting & Fielding 5 8 1 55 30 7.85 0 0 3 0

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
You are wrong Mate. Hawke captained 4 of the 5 Tests he played. But He must have been one of the members of British Aristocracy who were not only gifted a position in the England Team (because they funded some of the tours then - through long ship voyages etc.) but also were gifted the Captaincy. Bit like Vizzy (Maharajah of Vizhianagram who was given Indian Captaincy in 1936).

Look at Hawke's averages and add to this the fact that despite not being a bowler either he came in to bat at number 11 in 2 or 3 of his 5 Tests !! Very dodgey selection IMO !! :D :D

TESTS
(career)
M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 Ct St
Batting & Fielding 5 8 1 55 30 7.85 0 0 3 0
really? cricinfo said hammond was appointed captain and said nothing about hawke being captain

do i still get to ask the next question?