• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
History has of course proved that Sir Pelham was right, and in 1937 his outstanding services to cricket, both on and off the field, were recognised by a knighthood.

Above is excerpt from Pelham Warner Cricinfo profile . So Vizzy was knighted before Warner !!

But my contention is Jackson was knighted even before that. Either way my answers are correct !! :D :D

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Jackson doesnt seem to be knighted for cricket, nor was Pelham warner the first :p
But the question was not knighted for Cricket !! but first cricketer to be knighted (therein lies the trick , IMHO ) !! :)

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I bow to BI the wise protector of this thread and let Burkey ask next question !! :) :D

Last edited:

biased indian

International Coach
JASON said:
see previous page !! :) :)
when u say previous page be careful because i have 40 post a page and i went back to my prevoius page and there was nothing there :D since it was in the same page for me.

ok a lot of site i checked said that pelham was the first that what mislead me

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
biased indian said:
when u say previous page be careful because i have 40 post a page and i went back to my prevoius page and there was nothing there :D since it was in the same page for me.

ok a lot of site i checked said that pelham was the first that what mislead me
Never trust what you find on the internet :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like he was knighted for his other services to the empire. He was after all Governor of Bengal. A BIG position in the Raj.

Rt. Hon. Sir Francis Stanley Jackson1 (M)
b. after 1867, #29403
Pedigree
Last Edited=19 Oct 2003

*****Rt. Hon. Sir Francis Stanley Jackson was the son of William Lawies Jackson, 1st Baron Allerton and Grace Tempest.1 He was born after 1867.1
*****He was invested as a Knight Grand Commander, Order of the Indian Empire (G.C.I.E.).1 He was a well-known cricketeer.1 He was invested as a Knight Grand Commander, Order of the Star of India (G.C.S.I.).1 He was invested as a Privy Counsellor (P.C.).1 He held the office of Governor of Bengal.1

Citations

[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume XIII, page 15. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
But the question was not knighted for Cricket !! but first cricketer to be knighted (therein lies the trick , IMHO ) !! :)
You have a point there but then it doesnt say international cricketers too. So there may be other cricketers (many in fact) who could have been knighted before Sir Stanley and knighted for other reasons :p

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Looks like he was knighted for his other services to the empire. He was after all Governor of Bengal. A BIG position in the Raj.

Rt. Hon. Sir Francis Stanley Jackson1 (M)
b. after 1867, #29403
Pedigree
Last Edited=19 Oct 2003

*****Rt. Hon. Sir Francis Stanley Jackson was the son of William Lawies Jackson, 1st Baron Allerton and Grace Tempest.1 He was born after 1867.1
*****He was invested as a Knight Grand Commander, Order of the Indian Empire (G.C.I.E.).1 He was a well-known cricketeer.1 He was invested as a Knight Grand Commander, Order of the Star of India (G.C.S.I.)
1 He was invested as a Privy Counsellor (P.C.).1 He held the office of Governor of Bengal.1

Citations

[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume XIII, page 15. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
Here's an excerpt from his profile which says he became Governor of Bengal in 1927 and I am assuming the knighthood must have been something that accompanies the office of Governor of Bengal !! Hence my contention that he was knighted before Warner and Vizzy !!

In 1927 he went out to India as Governor of Bengal. There he proved equal to the most trying situation, behaving with splendid nerve and authority when he nearly fell a victim to attempted assassination by a Calcutta girl student who fired five shots at close range, narrowly missing Sir Stanley when presiding at a meeting.

Last edited: