• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of Pre-Speedgun Fastest Bowlers

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well if we are throwing more pre-50s guys for a prelim round then Ill add 2 more.

Mohammad Nissar- The quickest Indian until Srinath?
Ken Farnes- Big tall quick that I would have loved to see bowl and had to operate at a time England were being overly nice after bodyline.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ken Farnes- Big tall quick that I would have loved to see bowl and had to operate at a time England were being overly nice after bodyline.
Fascinating article on Farnes showing him to be a prototype of the modern tall, athletic quick bowler.

Bill Edrich said:
I tried to play back, a defensive back stroke while turning my head and lifting my hands. The next thing I knew was that someone was saying smoothly, `have some water, there's no hurry

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
How on earth are we supposed to judge these bowlers on how fast we thought they were, when 95% of members here will have seen nothing except for some grainy archive footage and from what they've read?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You have read it? Recommended?
It is interesting yes - obviously its appeal is limited by the relatively short and unsuccessful career that Hilton had and he never got involved in anything terribly controversial whether within or without the game but if you don't expect too much and/or your a Lancastrian reading it makes for a more entertaining tea interval than listening to Botham and Gower chewing the cud.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
How on earth are we supposed to judge these bowlers on how fast we thought they were, when 95% of members here will have seen nothing except for some grainy archive footage and from what they've read?
I think the majority of bowlers will be from the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s which quite a few members would have seen. The players who got in from pre-1950 would have all but one been eliminated too.

I am also in the process of removing bowlers who, imo have absolutely no chance whatsoever of recieiving more than one vote.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Sylvester Clarke was rated by David Gower as the fastest bowler he ever faced. And Gower faced most of the fastest WI quicks at or near their peaks, including Holding, Marshall and Patterson (also IIRC a lightning fast pre-injury Ian Bishop in the 1988 ODIs). An absolutely terrifying prospect by all accounts.

Of bowlers that I've watched (since the late 70s or early 80s) the fastest, to my subjective eye, have been Holding, Imran, Patterson, Marshall, and the pre-speedgun Waqar Younis and Allan Donald.

Other candidates from before my time are, obviously, Thomson, Tyson and Larwood.

If you go much earlier than than that (eg Kortright), then I'm afraid that the evidence that we have to rely on becomes entirely unreliable. Yes Kortright may have been the fastest of his day, but there is no reliable comparative evidence of how quick he was compared with those of later generations. There may have been some old men who, in their 80s, saw Tyson bowl and were able to compare that sight with their misty-eyed reminiscences of watching Korty bowl when they were boys. Such evidence is so unreliable as to be meaningless, and I can't see how we can possibly accurately judge the pace of a bowler who last played the game over a century ago.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I've had a thought - after the nomination process is finished, any bowler post-1980 for whom clips cannot be found will be REMOVED. For now, they will be bolded on the first post.

Last edited:

fredfertang

fredfertang

Link not working
My apologies - it works ok for me - could it be you have to register with movietone? Its gratis and there are plenty of old cricketing newsreels as well as many others - repays a few minutes spent registering

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
My apologies - it works ok for me - could it be you have to register with movietone? Its gratis and there are plenty of old cricketing newsreels as well as many others - repays a few minutes spent registering
Excellent. With certainly check it (and others) out.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If your patient towards the end of this there is one delivery of Ken Farnes which doesn't look terribly fast
Thanks for that, well worth watching.

Tough to say how quick it was. He has a very short and liesurely approach to the wicket. He does however, have that old style pivot where they traditionally got their pace from in the action (I wouldnt coach it now though) and it is far stronger than others I have seen that are similar.

The force of his action is apparant in his follow through. He barely ambles in and then finishes his considerable follow through about 15m away towards midwicket.

Very interesting. :)

fredfertang

Fiery Fred always used to complain that black and white film made him look "yards slower" and I think he has a point - having trawled through a lot of the Movietone stuff it seems to me that Larwood and Gubby Allen appear yards quicker than their contemporaries but, as I say, I suspect monochrome appearances can be deceptive.

Would love to see some footage of Gregory and MacDonald - I am told some exists but I have never been fortunate enough to track it down

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
What are you supposed to do for 'Company' in the registration?

archie mac

International Coach
That is why I think it a great idea for a battle, no one like a Bradman to make it a near waste of time8-)

It will give the likes of SJS the chance to try and convince people who was really the fastest:)

Athough I think Lol will be hard too beat:)