• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's ODI squad

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Because there's not a snowball's chance in hell of Hayden being around in 2011.

Guys like Marsh, Hopes, Hughes etc. need as much time as possible in the side to build for the next World Cup. Keeping Hayden in the side for the next couple of series is a waste of 10 games' worth of experience that some of the less experienced players would find invaluable.
It depends if the selectors believe all ODIs are World Cup preparation or think each ODI series has enough standalone merit to select the best team every time. A lot of people seem to believe in the former theory but evidence suggests the Australian selectors subscribe to the latter.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Hodge opening?

See Indian series about two years ago.

Absolute disaster.
He batted three in that series, as Ponting was out I recall.
That was the tour which really scuttled his international career, up until that point he had taken just about every chance which had come his way. With Ponting out he got the chance to spend a whole series which was 7 games I recall at first drop and really cement a spot. However he was terrible and hasnt played a ODI since.

Around the same time he tried opening for Victoria in a bid to replace Justin Langer opening in the test team and I dont think it went all that well, I remember a pair against WA.

I agree with P EWS, we could do plenty worse but he's still not ideal. Besides Hodge would be 36 or 37 by the next World Cup won't he? and thus no certainty to be around....might aswell just stick with Hayden..

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It depends if the selectors believe all ODIs are World Cup preparation or think each ODI series has enough standalone merit to select the best team every time. A lot of people seem to believe in the former theory but evidence suggests the Australian selectors subscribe to the latter.
I'd disagree that all ODIs are World Cup preparation, but certainly when the tournament is only 2 years away that should be the sort of time to take stock of the resources available to you, and start building a side with the World Cup in mind. A 37 year-old player who is woefully out of form shouldn't be near the selector's thoughts.

At the end of the day, an ODI series defeat to South Africa just now is utterly meaningless if the net result is that Australia win their 4th World Cup on the trot.

pup11

International Coach
I think Hayden' reasoning behind him wanting to continue playing all formats of the game is that he thinks that his overall game gets improved by playing all the three formats of the game.

But i still would have either Hughes (despite his poor OD record) or Watson in place of Hayden, anyways does anybody also think David Warner has got some potential, really like the look of him, very clean striker of the ball, could develop into a real option for Australia if he keeps his OD form going.

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
1.) Marsh
2.) Haddin(w)
3.) Ponting(c)
4.) D Hussey
5.) Clarke
6.) M Hussey
7.) J Hopes
8.) Johnson
9.) Hauritz
10.) Bracken
11.) Siddle

Katich,
Noffke,
White

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I always think of a post Goughy made a while back in moments like this when ODI batting spots become available.

Using that qualification, here's the full list:
Brad Hodge

Rob Quiney actually comes close, missing out with high scores of 92 and 89* - that elusive hundred failing him.

Just for this season:
Tom Cooper
David Warner
Brad Hodge
Lee Carseldine
Callum Ferguson

Just for last season:
Darren Lehmann
Matthew Elliott
James Hopes
Brad Haddin
Michael Dighton
Brad Hodge
Sean Ervine
David Hussey

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hopes at 7 is a waste of space. He either opens or doesn't play.

And Haddin opening takes out a very useful lower middle order player, and puts him in a role where it's questionable that he'd be any good.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
I think Hayden' reasoning behind him wanting to continue playing all formats of the game is that he thinks that his overall game gets improved by playing all the three formats of the game.

But i still would have either Hughes (despite his poor OD record) or Watson in place of Hayden, anyways does anybody also think David Warner has got some potential, really like the look of him, very clean striker of the ball, could develop into a real option for Australia if he keeps his OD form going.
bit of a smokey aint he ? still hasn't played a fc game. IPL teams are cuing up already

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I always think of a post Goughy made a while back in moments like this when ODI batting spots become available.

Brad Hodge

Rob Quiney actually comes close, missing out with high scores of 92 and 89* - that elusive hundred failing him.
Sorry to quote my own post, but Quiney himself might not be a bad pick given the failings of the other opening options. His numbers in one day domestic cricket certainly back it up:

Career: 830 runs @ 41.50, SR: 91.10
2008/09: 285 runs @ 47.50, SR: 100.35
2007/08: 380 runs @ 47.50, SR: 93.82

He's also shown the ability to play spectacular innings against good attacks - his finest hour against an international-standard NSW attack being the best example. The fact that his Shield record has generally been terrible might have counted against him even in terms of ODI selection, but he's even rectified that to some extent this season, averaging over 40 and posting his first First Class century.

He's obviously not going to get picked - the fact that he hasn't been on the radar for 'A' teams at all shows the selectors haven't really been looking at him, plus the fact that despite being an opening batsman by trade, most of his success so far has come in the middle order where there is much more competition. I thought he was worth mentioning though - could be a bolter in the next season or so if the other opening options fail.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
he's probably actually one of the better bets, would be better than hopes, as much as i respect hopes for the hard yakka he does, he's just a bit part player really, quiney could do some damage, i'm willing to be proved wrong if hopes goes out and makes a ton, because he is capable, but unlikely

Chimpdaddy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
World cup is 2 years away, Ashes just around the corner, we simply cannot afford to carry a 37 year old, dead-weight batter anymore. Not with the current Australian side. If we had champions like Warne and McGrath, and Hussey was in form, then sure Hayden could stick around until he can scratch up a big knock.
The fact is, we need to seriously start preparations. Revamp the side, get some fresh blood in there, and play for the future. There is enough experience in the side with Ponting, Clarke, Hussey to help the youngsters not get overwhelmed by the big stage. It seems almost crazy to allow Hayden continue this mascarade, hoping that one day it will all "click into place". Lets give Hughes a go. He doesn't have a tonne of experience, but is currently in brilliant form, and he is young. Those two factors are exactely what Australia need right now. Nuff' said.

-Chimpdaddy-

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Sorry to quote my own post, but Quiney himself might not be a bad pick given the failings of the other opening options. His numbers in one day domestic cricket certainly back it up:

Career: 830 runs @ 41.50, SR: 91.10
2008/09: 285 runs @ 47.50, SR: 100.35
2007/08: 380 runs @ 47.50, SR: 93.82

He's also shown the ability to play spectacular innings against good attacks - his finest hour against an international-standard NSW attack being the best example. The fact that his Shield record has generally been terrible might have counted against him even in terms of ODI selection, but he's even rectified that to some extent this season, averaging over 40 and posting his first First Class century.

He's obviously not going to get picked - the fact that he hasn't been on the radar for 'A' teams at all shows the selectors haven't really been looking at him, plus the fact that despite being an opening batsman by trade, most of his success so far has come in the middle order where there is much more competition. I thought he was worth mentioning though - could be a bolter in the next season or so if the other opening options fail.
Quiney is one to watch for sure.

I feel really bad for him that in the Twenty20 match between Australia and the Invitation XI, Justin Langer batted ahead of him robbing him the change to Test himself against Australia.

A good innings from Quiney in the Twenty20 would only enhance his reputation.

FBU

International Debutant
1.) Marsh
2.) Haddin(w)
3.) Ponting(c)
4.) D Hussey
5.) Clarke
6.) M Hussey
7.) J Hopes
8.) Johnson
9.) Hauritz
10.) Bracken
11.) Siddle

Katich,
Noffke,
White

Please, not Siddle. How about Tait, Hilfenhaus or Noffke?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Brad Hodge

Just for this season:
Tom Cooper
David Warner
Brad Hodge
Lee Carseldine
Callum Ferguson

Just for last season:
Darren Lehmann
Matthew Elliott
James Hopes
Brad Haddin
Michael Dighton
Brad Hodge
Sean Ervine
David Hussey
Out of interest, why the hell doesn't Hodge ever play?

inbox24

International Debutant
1.) Marsh
2.) Haddin(w)
3.) Ponting(c)
4.) D Hussey
5.) Clarke
6.) M Hussey
7.) J Hopes
8.) Johnson
9.) Hauritz
10.) Bracken
11.) Siddle

Katich,
Noffke,
White
Totally disagree with that.

Haddin is definitely not suited to opening, we should resort to standard openers.
The bowling attack should only consist of the following bowlers at this time:

Hilfenhaus
Bracken
Johnson

and maybe Haurtiz and Tait, if the latter gets back into form again. Any of the other mentioned above are not true bowlers, i.e. White, or not suited to ODIs, i.e. Noffke or Siddle. Originally I would have not supported Hopes' inclusion either, but considering Watson is out for 6 months he'll probably have to do.

Would like to see Hayden retire after Sydney, I mean even if he does have something to offer, we should be looking to blood now. I've also never figured why they moved Clarke to 4, because 3 and 4 you need your best batsmen and Clarke's more of a middle overs man pushing the ball around keeping the clock ticking over. I would have Symonds at 4 or in his absence, David Hussey at 4.

Hopes
Marsh
Ponting
D. Hussey
Clarke
M. Hussey
Haddin
Johnson
Bracken
Hilfenhaus
Tait

12th: Hauritz

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

Brad Hodge

Just for this season:
Tom Cooper
David Warner
Brad Hodge
Lee Carseldine
Callum Ferguson

Just for last season:
Darren Lehmann
Matthew Elliott
James Hopes
Brad Haddin
Michael Dighton
Brad Hodge
Sean Ervine
David Hussey
Hey Prince, besides Quiney who else was close except for the fact that they missed the following criteria -
# At least 1 century in each season. Ability to play a big, matchwinning innings rather than just cameos.
I think this is the least important criteria, for reasons such as not outs, batting position and the fact that this season is only half over.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hey Prince, besides Quiney who else was close except for the fact that they missed the following criteria -

I think this is the least important criteria, for reasons such as not outs, batting position and the fact that this season is only half over.
Season is about three quarters over but I take your point.

I think it's more reasonable to expect a ton to be scored by the player each season in the context of English cricket as they play more games - it'd probably make more sense to change that to "at least one century in either season" for the Australian system. I still think it's pretty important to score a ton though and reasonable to expect it over the course of two seasons. It also removes anomolies like Nathan Hauritz making the cut, like he would have in 2007/08.

Changing the criteria to "at least one century in either season", though, you get:

Brad Hodge
David Hussey
Michael Dighton

James Hopes is actually ridiculous close - he made the cut last season (including the ton) and is averaging 34.16 this season at a strike rate of 95.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Out of interest, why the hell doesn't Hodge ever play?
Well despite the way some people go on about his treatment, he was rated as one of the best OD middle order bats in the country for a while - he played a few World Cup games for example and was always the first picked when there was an injury. The reason he didn't play more was simple, though..

1. Hayden
2. Gilchrist
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Symonds
6. Hussey
7. Watson

Who would you drop?!

The reason he's not in the mix at the moment is the fact that he got an extended run in India when Ponting (I think?) was out injured and looked absolutely dreadful combined with the fact that David Hussey has been more consistent than him at domestic level recently.