• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the test squad is nearly there, except the 2nd opener.

1. Warner
2. Harris/Burns/Khawaja
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Wade
6. Maddinson
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

12. Pattinson/J. Richardson
Don't think Mad Dog is a lock tbh.

TheJediBrah

Nah, handscomb was never up to it. Walking wicket. Any non-Victorian blind man could see it. I know he's TJB's cousin and all, but let's be real. His drop off in form and being found out quickish is one of the best things to ever happen to Australian cricket since we reverted to the six ball over.
Can't really disagree with any of that. It's the blaming of it all on his technique that's the really, really stupid part.

In the long run though Travis Head's exposure as not up to international cricket and elimination from consideration for all 3 formats will probably serve us better.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Don't think Mad Dog is a lock tbh.
True, but he is currently ahead of Head, Pucovski and Khawaja for the final middle order spot. This shield round and the A game could change that of course given the selectors previous history of rating one game before the test.

Burgey

Would prefer either a right handed middle order player or alternatively Nick Bertus to get the nod after his upcoming double ton vs the SACAs.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Would prefer either a right handed middle order player or alternatively Nick Bertus to get the nod after his upcoming double ton vs the SACAs.
Nahh, Luke Robins will sort him out.

Seriously though, Bert and Robocop have had some damn good contests in the Futures League over the last couple of years

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is it a sad indictment that a man with a 200 on a disgusting Victorian wicket and a hard earned 50 after three whole matches is clearly at the forefront.

Last season thrown aside of course, but the selectors won't be thinking that far back. Quick and recent results is the game.

morgieb

You mean Mitch Marsh. Head was already dropped after 4th ashes test.
Though that was mostly horses for courses. Even if Marsh didn't go full Ben Stokes I don't think they'd have picked him, IMO Head still felt like the incumbent.

mr_mister

Is it a sad indictment that a man with a 200 on a disgusting Victorian wicket and a hard earned 50 after three whole matches is clearly at the forefront.

Last season thrown aside of course, but the selectors won't be thinking that far back. Quick and recent results is the game.
Yeah it's 100% what have you done for me lately. Wouldn't be surprised if Tommy Cooper got the job

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Still think Pukovski needs to come in.

Warner
Khawaja/Maddinson
Labuschagne
Smith
Pukovski
Wade

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If its Maddinson ill be keen to see how his new highest score progresses.. All 4 innings he has scored higher.

Red

Disappointing Kurt Patterson is injured. Feel like he and Pukovski (along with Smith and Labu) can develop into a really solid middle order. They're the way I'd be heading.

Burgey

Still think Pukovski needs to come in.

Warner
Khawaja/Maddinson
Labuschagne
Smith
Pukovski
Wade
You can’t play the short ball like he has a few time on Australian wickets and be a test batsman. He needs to get it sorted asap

stephen

So at the moment it's looking like our 5 and 6 will be Wade and Maddinson. That really only leaves the final opener spot open. One or two scores from either burns or Khawaja could push them over the line. Let's just hope Bancroft and Harris are overlooked.

Burgey

Daniel Hughes has once again Daniel Hughes'd any chance he had of jagging the second opener's spot.

Red

You can’t play the short ball like he has a few time on Australian wickets and be a test batsman. He needs to get it sorted asap
I didn't realise this was a problem he has. I've seen him bat live a few times and he looked in good shape, looked like he had a great game square of the wicket.