• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Test Selection 2016/2017

FBU

International Debutant
I'd like to see

Warner (c)
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Voges
Ferguson
Paine
O'Keefe
Starc
Cummins
Pattinson

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'd like to see

Warner (c)
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Voges
Ferguson
Paine
O'Keefe
Starc
Cummins
Pattinson
Don't think Hazelwood will be dropped for any reason at all. Everyone would love to see Patto and Cummins with Starc but they arent ready. Would love to see Ferguson or another batsman at 6. O'Keefe or Lyon is 6 of one to me, but O'Keefe is a good batsman. If we did pick O'Keefe, maybe we could actually pick Bird (according to the selectors thinking re. Mennie/Bird). Voges is done.

Warner
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Patterson
Ferguson
Nevill
O'Keefe
Starc
Hazelwood
Bird

That'd be my XI if I was the sole selector. I am looking forward to having a look at Mennie though.

the big bambino

International Captain
Voges hammy might end his career. Paine is a big call. Didn't see that one coming. I've only seen Mennie bowl one ball on news highlights. Have to admit he looked good.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Paine averages <30 in FC cricket, still hasn't scored another hundred, isn't even picked for Tasmania these days, and really never recovered from breaking his finger in that exhibition T20.

No idea why you'd pick him ahead of Nevill, when Nevill is a better batsman, better wicketkeeper, and likely a better team man (no disrespect intended to Paine, but Nev is a ****ing awesome guy).

As a medium-term team, I'd be looking:

1. Warner
2. Marsh/Burns
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Ferguson
6. Nevill +
7. Faulkner
8. O'Keefe
9. Starc
10. Hazlewood
11. Bird

No faith that Ussie would be there tbh, but uncertain of who to back as his replacement. And sorry Gaz, you're a hero and haven't done much wrong, but SoK gets a run in this hypothetical.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Paine averages <30 in FC cricket, still hasn't scored another hundred, isn't even picked for Tasmania these days, and really never recovered from breaking his finger in that exhibition T20.

No idea why you'd pick him ahead of Nevill, when Nevill is a better batsman, better wicketkeeper, and likely a better team man (no disrespect intended to Paine, but Nev is a ****ing awesome guy).

As a medium-term team, I'd be looking:

1. Warner
2. Marsh/Burns
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Ferguson
6. Nevill +
7. Faulkner
8. O'Keefe
9. Starc
10. Hazlewood
11. Bird

No faith that Ussie would be there tbh, but uncertain of who to back as his replacement. And sorry Gaz, you're a hero and haven't done much wrong, but SoK gets a run in this hypothetical.
That's a perfect side I could get behind tbh.

Maxwell to come in when a second spinner needed. Pattinson/Cummins to replace Bird if sufficiently fit and prepared.

Midwinter

State Captain
Anyone been following the bowling restrictions on Australian bowlers.

Cummins not playing grade cricket this week end due to excessive workload, after bowling in the Futures league during the week

Quote from Team Physio David Beakley

" If you double your workload from one week to the next you're are far more likely to get injured the following week"

In Siddles case he was to bowl no more than 13 overs in an innings in the Vics Shield game.

He then plays the test match where he bowls as many overs as needed, now has a sore back

Obviously this doesn't match what is quoted above

Can anyone explain this inconsistency ?

Thanks

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
In the year 2016 Australia have used 19 players, can you name the 4 who average 40 or above with the bat, this calendar year?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The worrying thing about where we stand is that I think this is close to our best XI. It's one thing to lose with some dodgy selections, quite another to lose when you're picking a side that is better. Who out there would make the side better? I suppose there's better bowlers out there than Mennie (seriously his selection seemed to be the selectors not willing to admit they made a mistake in picking the Perth side, though tbf if Bird was picked the score might have been even worse), and it's getting to the point where O'Keefe adds more to the side than Lyon, but there isn't much you can do about the Top 7. I suppose one could argue Wade's a better batsman than Nevill, but that's cancelled out by being the much worse keeper.

I think Marsh probably comes in for Burns when he's fit again (dunno if he'll be fit for Adelaide or has to wait until the Pakistan series), with Voges in danger if he fails again. I'd give Ferguson at least a couple of Tests to prove his worth, especially given I'm not sure you can judge his ability by the nature of his innings. For who to come in, probably Handscomb or Bancroft, though I'm not convinced they'll be much better.

Very worrying signs. The Pakistan series might give us a bit of respite, but if it doesn't, this could be the end of Australia as a top-tier side.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
It seems highly unlikely to me that players with good techniques will make it to the Australian team in the near future because a good technique isn't as flashy and therefore likely to draw attention when bashing bowlers around on flat tracks (that the Aussie pitches have been lately). A good technique may be more cautious and leave the ball more often.
So I guess what I'm saying, is this our best Xi technically or our best XI flat track track bullies?

SeamUp

International Coach
The worrying thing about where we stand is that I think this is close to our best XI. It's one thing to lose with some dodgy selections, quite another to lose when you're picking a side that is better. Who out there would make the side better? I suppose there's better bowlers out there than Mennie (seriously his selection seemed to be the selectors not willing to admit they made a mistake in picking the Perth side, though tbf if Bird was picked the score might have been even worse), and it's getting to the point where O'Keefe adds more to the side than Lyon, but there isn't much you can do about the Top 7. I suppose one could argue Wade's a better batsman than Nevill, but that's cancelled out by being the much worse keeper.

I think Marsh probably comes in for Burns when he's fit again (dunno if he'll be fit for Adelaide or has to wait until the Pakistan series), with Voges in danger if he fails again. I'd give Ferguson at least a couple of Tests to prove his worth, especially given I'm not sure you can judge his ability by the nature of his innings. For who to come in, probably Handscomb or Bancroft, though I'm not convinced they'll be much better.

Very worrying signs. The Pakistan series might give us a bit of respite, but if it doesn't, this could be the end of Australia as a top-tier side.
I think a direction needs to be found on who you can build successful innings with around Smith/Warner in all conditions. I find it utterly bizarre that there is talk of picking an Indian tour squad for 'horse for courses'. Where is the long-term planning in that ? I find the decisions made by the hierarchy in Australian cricket to be again bizarre and they need to know this. Ryan Harris coming out after the last test trying to knock the cricket media for 6 that they don't know what they talking about with fast bowlers fitness. Well mate, it's not rocket science is it, over the history of cricket your body needs to have been made bowling fit in order to complete more overs when high intensity cricket comes.

Talking of batsman. Bancroft and Handscomb are probably considered and especially with both having played a bit of county cricket to grow their games. Maxwell, Head and Maddinson are rocks or diamonds aren't they ? Can Australian cricket trust them in all conditions in all situations ?

Bryan Coverdale seems to rate these two enough to do articles on them for cricinfo.

Four years on from debut hundred, Kurtis Patterson makes his mark | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Young Australia A batsman Matt Renshaw an opener of old | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Thought this was also a good summary before the off-season 'A' series

Brydon Coverdale on the young and talented batsmen in Australia's A team | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
For me.

No Tests for You

• Dean
  • Dunk
  • Cartwright
  • Ferguson

I'm pretty confident about the first 3 not playing Test Cricket, not so much Ferguson. I looked at the 3 QLDers and doubt all 3 will play but have greater upside. Ferguson should be quite high on the current pecking order really, I just don't see him as a batsman who would become the ultimate pro in his later years like a Hussey, Rogers or Voges.

I have just bought some Webster stock at a bargin and i have an investment in Stoinis too, so naturally a little high on them.
LOL. Two months later Ferguson debuts.

The worrying thing about where we stand is that I think this is close to our best XI.
Hmmm I am not so sure, we have:

• An opener who has a massive technical flaw where he doesn't get forward enough and gets out bowled or lbw.
  • a 37 year old at 5 who is absolute amazing or absolutely terrible depending on the conditions
  • 32 year old on debut at 6 who has started to string together some good seasons together but I don't really think of him as a clutch player,
  • a keeper who is keeping very well but he has been disappointing with the bat, particular in several situations where I thought he'd excel (when we are under pressure).
  • a third seamer who noted poster Dan recently picked in his Australia 6th XI
  • an offspinner who bats at 11, is struggling to take wickets or keep it tight

I criticised Tubby for saying only 5 players were safe before the series, and I now think that I was wrong.

What I most dislike about the Australian way is that I feel like the team believes that being positive and losing is better than being dour and drawing. Drawing is a rubbish feeling when you're a great team and well on top, but there is nothing wrong with a draw when you are not a great team and you show fight.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What I most dislike about the Australian way is that I feel like the team believes that being positive and losing is better than being dour and drawing. Drawing is a rubbish feeling when you're a great team and well on top, but there is nothing wrong with a draw when you are not a great team and you show fight.
Yeah that's blatantly being fed by Rod Marsh, I think the Ponting video that Burr linked has him saying that on one of the youth camps in the 90's Rod said something to the kids to the effect of "If you can't score 350 runs in a day, pack up your bags and leave"

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah that's blatantly being fed by Rod Marsh, I think the Ponting video that Burr linked has him saying that on one of the youth camps in the 90's Rod said something to the kids to the effect of "If you can't score 350 runs in a day, pack up your bags and leave"
So crazy. I would love it so much if we could go 3/240 at stumps on day 1 against a good attack who bowled well. Of course if we did that we'd have to not lose 7/60 the next morning too. I've never been a SOK fan but I am warming to the idea that he is the type of player we need.