• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2019/20

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
My thoughts from the T20 champs so far:
1. Condon still looks like a gun bat.
2. Jarwal is a filthy chucker.
Agreed on both counts. Jarwal is pretty rancid, generally mainly plays in the 2nds anyway though.

Bailey Wightman is an interesting cricketer. English born but raised mainly here in Adelaide, he took a bunch of poles for Wawrickshire 2nds and from what I heard wasn't far off making a FC dayboo over there

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You specifically said he is a better batsman than bowler these days. Twice.

Having followed his career closely for three or four years now I cannot agree with that. Frankly this just screams of recency bias on your behalf
That's all you had to say m8. You confused me when you started talking about "should forget about his bowling". Of course it's recency "bias", i was talking specifically about his recent performances. I'm not claiming that going forward he will always be a better batsman than bowler, more so just warning about getting over hyped re. his bowling.

I think we more or less agree it was just your one post that I couldn't make sense of.

Shady Slim

International Coach
ryan hackney’s a kid from the club i play for and went to school about a k up the road from where i live so i’m happy to see him in the runs

i say a kid but i think he’s my age and here i am ****posting on a cricket forum and averaging eighteen on a team that lost its final because of the rain

i mean

averaging eighteen was still good for the third most on the team so, yknow, ryan hackney, better watch that spot tbh

Midwinter

State Captain
Shield Round 8 - Cricket for those with long attention spans

NSW cemented their place in the final with a solid win over the Croweaters ,which has put them just about out of a chance at second place. Bottom team Tassie upset the Sandgropers, thanks to a mighty 187 from Beau Webster, WA have now dropped to third. Vic defeated a literal Qld second eleven, their bowling attack and most of their regular batsmen on international duty. The Vics have posted their only two wins so far against the top 2 teams on the table and are 4 pts from a place in the final.

5 points seperate Qld Vic and WA for a spot in the final.with SA 2 pts further behind, WA and Qld play in Perth next round, Vics play SA

Star of the round was Webster from Tassie with 187 off 187 balls which gave his team the first innings lead, Green from WA was also impressive with 158no and 45. Rainbird with 5/90 and Ellis 6/86 bowled their team to victory while Paris 5/90 and 7 wickets for the game was a good return. For NSW Hughes scored centuries in both innings, Gilke made an 83 while Copeland enjoyed using the Duke ball with 5/63 and 9 for the match. For the Croweaters Ferguson with 82 and 44, Cooper 62 and Head 57 put up a fight in the second innings. Mennie had his best return of the season with 6/103. For the Vics Gotch got another century and Short made 98 while Dean had his best score for a long time with 96 in the second dig, young Sutherland picked up 5/42. For the Bananabenderas Burns made 135 to give his team a chance in the second innings while Bartlett took 5/85 in the first innings.

Runs
SA Cooper 749, Weatherald 588
WA SMarsh 663, Green 662
Vic Maddinson 648, Harris 350
NSW Hughes 636, Henriques 512,
Tas Doolan 527, Wade 413
Qld Burns 410, Street 372

Cooper still leading.
SMarsh collected a pair this game, Green only a run behind him now in in third place
Niether of the Vics played this round
Burns now Qld's best bat and is 14th on the list.
Hughes now up to 5th overall.

With 2 games to go it looks unlikely anyone will crack the 1000 runs this year,

Bowling
Qld Gannon 31, Neser 26,
SA Sayers 30. WAgar 28
Vic Siddle 29, Tremain 19
Tas Bird 28,Meredith 20
NSW Conway 24,Copeland 22
WA Moody 21, Kelly 19

Some of the leading bowlers didnt play this round,

Gannon with 6 is back on top
Sayers now second, WAgar was wicketless this round
Copeland has passed Starc as the Bluebaggers second highest wicket taker
Siddle creeping up the list
Moody is now WA's leading bowler and 10th on the list.

Like the batting it is unlikely any one will take 50 wickets this year.

Stumpers (ct/st - runs@ave)

Qld Pierson 34/- 301@27.4
NSW Neville 28/3 386@42.8
WA Inglis 25/- 322@29.7
Tas Paine 22/2, 295 @42.1
SA Carey 15/- 386@55.1 (4 games)
Vic Harper 12/1 158@22.6

Not much news on the dismissals front,

Twirley men

O'Keefe 16@22.5, Swepson 13@28, Lyon 14@36.8, Holland 8@59, Labuschagne 4@26, T.Andrews 4@110, Maxwell 3@75.7,A.Zampa 3@88, A.Agar 3@136

O'Keefe, now 16th on the overall list, Lyon 22nd both have played 5 games,

again not much success for the spinners this round

The battle for the second final spot continues !

Next round starts Friday 6/3

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gannon's genius is certified in the stats.

It's a disgrace that some here call him a disgrace. For shame.

Burgey

Lions being made to look decidedly average against a NSW Second XI. Makes sense that England A would lose to a bona fide Australian State Second XI

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Lions being made to look decidedly average against a NSW Second XI. Makes sense that England A would lose to a bona fide Australian State Second XI
This cobbled together NSW batting is frankly doing better than the batting lineup of the actual proper Australia A side

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
This England lions side is basically a second Xi compared to the side Australia faced, half the side is missing for test duty.

TheJediBrah

This England lions side is basically a second Xi compared to the side Australia faced, half the side is missing for test duty.
It's not really a NSW 2nd XI either tbh, closer to a 3rd XI with Steve O'Keefe added. You'd still expect a country's 3rd XI to handle a state's 2nd XI anyway.

SeamUp

International Coach
For some reason I missed the A game v Lions

What was the general thoughts on the team & performances.

A real lack of strike bowling options ?

Suppose only Philippe, Pucovski and Green are the youth who could come in top 7.

Last edited:

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
For some reason I missed the A game v Lions

What was the general thoughts on the team & performances.

A real lack of strike bowling options ?

Suppose only Philippe, Pucovski and Green are the youth who could come in top 7.
Bowling first was a horrible choice. We got sent out to bat late on day 2 in a d/n test vs a swinging pink ball from a genuinely a grade English attack and got decimated, lack of d/n experienced showed for the Aus side. Kpat Was class in the second dig, ran out of partners 4 short of a deserved 100 and Maddinson made a pretty 50 off 50 then threw his wicket away, rest of the lot where utter garbage throughout aside from wildermuth, dissapointoing performance overall.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Also on the topic of young batsmen, aside from the lot you mentioned, bryce Street is another one who deserves some talk imo. Had a pretty ehh season so far but only 22 and looks the good, genuine test opener in the future. Made a really impressive triple hundred in the futures league.

SeamUp

International Coach
Bowling first was a horrible choice. We got sent out to bat late on day 2 in a d/n test vs a swinging pink ball from a genuinely a grade English attack and got decimated, lack of d/n experienced showed for the Aus side. Kpat Was class in the second dig, ran out of partners 4 short of a deserved 100 and Maddinson made a pretty 50 off 50 then threw his wicket away, rest of the lot where utter garbage throughout aside from wildermuth, dissapointoing performance overall.
A seam attack of Neser, Bird, Steketee seems limited. Suppose being d/n test made it ok.

We obviously no quite a few are missing but currently where do Kelly and Paris sit in the pecking order. Obviously Meredith is injured and Stanlake has fallen off a cliff.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I have thought for a while there is somewhat of a paucity of strike bowling options outside of the main team. Someone like Bird for example takes bags of wickets in the Shield pretty much with 132k line and length, a quality operator at that level but as we saw he tended to struggle for impact on the flatter surfaces offered up internationally. Neser not dissimilar. 12th man for the squad was Conway who despite being a bit of a lunatic isn't really that quick either. When it comes to the quicker blokes there isn't exactly mountains of choice. Jhye is an option but he's over running drinks in South Africa, Meredith was injured like you said, Wes Agar could have been considered but that would be a bold call on half a season of work.

Paris would probably be there or there abouts in their thoughts, although tbh his bowling doesn't look quite as impressive as it was a couple of years ago. Still it's the longest he's been able to stay on the park in years, and there were signs in the last game he was getting the sort of late h00p he used to generate

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Judging Bird by that MCG performance is pretty harsh. He was never going to succeed on the greatest highway I've seen in Australia (one where Cummins and Hazlewood struggled for penetration). He's been very good in other circumstances. Yeah he's not the quickest but I feel he's genuinely underrated.