• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time India XI game

capt_Luffy

International Captain
If we were to make separate home and away Xis for India then Ashwin would be a certainty in the home Xi and would not be picked for the away one. However, if you want an Xi for both home/away conditions then Ashwin isn't a certainty for me. One could go Jadeja/Mankad as the no 7 with Kapil at 8 and Ash/Kumble as the main spinner depending on personal preference.
Mankad has nothing, absolutely nothing to be considered over Jadeja. Worse bowler, batsman and fielder with worse longevity.

kyear2

International Coach
If we were to make separate home and away Xis for India then Ashwin would be a certainty in the home Xi and would not be picked for the away one. However, if you want an Xi for both home/away conditions then Ashwin isn't a certainty for me. One could go Jadeja/Mankad as the no 7 with Kapil at 8 and Ash/Kumble as the main spinner depending on personal preference.
Which is all I was saying.

And these teams as supposed to be for all conditions.

Thala_0710

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think to say that Ashwin isn't an automatic Indian ATG is to be a liar. Might as well say Ponting isn't an automatic Australian ATG because Bradman was Aussie.
He is definitely an Indian ATG, but so is Kumble. And you could only have one in your ATG Xi, so somebody has to miss out

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
All I'm saying is that if he's not an automatic while he played, and not saying he should or shouldn't be selected, but how is he an automatic here.

That's all
In another thread you have mentioned that Kapil is not close to Ashwin as a cricketer. If you think Kapil is not droppable for the team that he played(or any Indian team ever) and still rate Ashwin way higher, you will need to agree that you rate players regardless of whether they can be picked in all conditions. But then, here you are after Ashwin for getting dropped when he tours.

The logical inconsistencies are baffling and is the reason why many are after your posts recently. I used to rate you as a poster once.

Slifer

International Captain
Mine and this is for all content not just in india:

Sunil
Sehwag
Dravid
Sachin
Kohli*
Laxman
Pant+
Dev
Jadeja
Shami
Bumrah

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Mine and this is for all content not just in india:

Sunil
Sehwag
Dravid
Sachin
Kohli*
Laxman
Pant+
Dev
Jadeja
Shami
Bumrah
Dev at 8 and Jadeja at 9 feels redundant; not to mention Jadeja as a sole spinner is kinda silly. Will win nothing at home trying to win away. Ashwin walks in for Laxman.

kyear2

International Coach
In another thread you have mentioned that Kapil is not close to Ashwin as a cricketer. If you think Kapil is not droppable for the team that he played(or any Indian team ever) and still rate Ashwin way higher, you will need to agree that you rate players regardless of whether they can be picked in all conditions. But then, here you are after Ashwin for getting dropped when he tours.

The logical inconsistencies are baffling and is the reason why many are after your posts recently. I used to rate you as a poster once.

What the hell are you talking about?

1. Never said Kapil wasn't droppable.

2. I'm not after anyone, nor saying he should be dropped from tours. I said there's been occasions overseas when he wasn't the first option. Hence if he wasn't always the first option during his career, does that complicate his automatic selection here.

3. I said that for me Ashwin was the better player, but the complication to that was that Kapil was more useful in more conditions. My arguments then was, that while Kapil was useful most places, his matching winning ability overall still didn't match Ash's match winning ability at home. So while Ash may be a liability away, his supremacy at home overcomes for that.

Legitimately don't know what you're on about, and it seems you've succumbed to group think and just following the crowd. Just looking for **** to gripe on.

Me saying that I rate Ashwin the better player than Dev, doesn't even factor into this conversation. Not least of all because, and I've also said this before don't rate Dev that highly in general. I'm also not saying that Ash wouldn't make the team.

I'm simply asking, for a team that's going to be playing any and everywhere, is he the automatic choice, considering he always haven't been.

Not saying anything bad about either and not litigating either if there legacy, was a simple question, but you have your agenda, so God speed.

Slifer

International Captain
Dev at 8 and Jadeja at 9 feels redundant; not to mention Jadeja as a sole spinner is kinda silly. Will win nothing at home trying to win away. Ashwin walks in for Laxman.
Well no kidding the team above as stated would be for all conditions. The only time you pick two spinners are for tests in SL and India or if the spinners are of the Warne/Murali level. In India, yes I'd have Ashwin and Kumble for Laxman and probably Shami.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Well no kidding the team above as stated would be for all conditions. The only time you pick two spinners are for tests in SL and India or if the spinners are of the Warne/Murali level. In India, yes I'd have Ashwin and Kumble for Laxman and probably Shami.
Very seriously, in an ATG Indian team; you NEED 2 spinners. Absolutely so. Or else you aren't winning anything at home, where you play half of your matches. Not to mention, Jadeja is poor as a solitary spinner for an ATG lineup. Atleast then take Kumble or something.....

Slifer

International Captain
Very seriously, in an ATG Indian team; you NEED 2 spinners. Absolutely so. Or else you aren't winning anything at home, where you play half of your matches. Not to mention, Jadeja is poor as a solitary spinner for an ATG lineup. Atleast then take Kumble or something.....
Gee, I always thought in these exercises we picked the best team for all conditions not just home and let the chips fall where they may. That's how i picked my teams. If we're picking different teams for home and away then imo, they aren't THE all time XI then for that particular country. Maybe pick an atg squad??

Xix2565

International Regular
He is definitely an Indian ATG, but so is Kumble. And you could only have one in your ATG Xi, so somebody has to miss out
You have the option of picking both, but if it's only one Ashwin is a better fit anyway. Kumble isn't clear of him in terms of spin anyway so what's the issue other than personal biases and dumb complaints about 'automatics' where people bend backwards to pretend like pacers can be bowled anywhere and be fine (not true in any form of reality) but outside of 2 spinners (Murali and Warne) every other spinner needs lab grown conditions to be a respectable Test bowler.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Gee, I always thought in these exercises we picked the best team for all conditions not just home and let the chips fall where they may. That's how i picked my teams. If we're picking different teams for home and away then imo, they aren't THE all time XI then for that particular country. Maybe pick an atg squad??
It is fine to pick both Ashwin and Jadeja for all conditions. You have Kapil, Bumrah and Shami for the pitches aiding pace, Ashwin and Jadeja for spin and then Kapil, Ashwin and Jadeja together make up runs we get from two batsmen for the team. So, it is an all-round team.