• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time Asian-XI

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The best Asian ODI Xi:

Sachin
Rohit
Zaheer
Kohli
Babar
Dhoni
Imran
Kapil
Wasim
Waqar
Murali
2nd XI has a better bowling attack:

Jayasuriya
Anwar
Sangakkara
Aravinda
Miandad
Shakib
Shahid Afridi
Abdul Razzaq
Vaas
Malinga
Saqlain

Bumrah for one of Vaas or Malinga in a few years. Wanted to find a spot for Yuvraj, but couldn't (perhaps 12th man). Picked Miandad over Inzamam for more mobility between wickets and in the field.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
My best Asian ODI team is

Sachin Tendulkar
Sanath Jayasuriya
Zaheer Abbas
Virat Kohli
Yuvraj Singh
MS Dhoni
Imran Khan
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Muralitharan

Babar Azam, Rohit, Saqlain, Malinga, Shakib, Afridi, Anwar, Aravinda all hard done by and get into the second team.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You can't rule out Waqar based on a what if. He is objectively one of the most destructive ODI bowler ever and clearly ahead of Malinga.

The best Asian ODI Xi:

Sachin
Rohit
Zaheer
Kohli
Babar
Dhoni
Imran
Kapil
Wasim
Waqar
Murali
I dunno about Babar at 5, he's not that suited to it, and it also means Sachin is the 6th bowler. I'd think about getting Shakib in for him.

Rest is spot on IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Another option is Yuvraj or Aravinda at 5. Both were decent with the ball.
Yuvraj was not really a big upgrade on Sachin until the very end of his career but at least it'd make it seven options instead of six. I don't think he's really a big upgrade over Shakib as a bat either to make up for the bowling gap, but he would suit the lower middle order role better I guess. Aravinda a better bowler than Yuvraj but probably worse than Shakib at batting 5-6.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
S Ramesh
J Mubarak
MG Vandort
C Kapugedera
JJ Martin
SB Bangar
TT Samaraweera
MSK Prasad (wk)
Junaid Zia
Mohammad Zahid
Mohammad Akram

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I resent the clear implication that Ramesh was useless. Request you to sub in Vikram Rathore instead, please.
Samaraweera made 5K Test runs @ 50 too, he's a ridiculous inclusion in that list, but having someone who clearly doesn't belong but looked **** in Australia to give TJB a platform to troll was probably the point of him making the post anyway.

subshakerz

International Coach
Ashwin is not clearly better than Jadeja at home. Jadeja actually averages lesser with the ball at home than Ashwin on the same set of conditions and same set of opponents. As a batsman at home, there is no contest since Jadeja averages 40+ while Ashwin averages 30-. As a fielder, Ashwin can't move more than 2 steps even to catch a flying bun to eat while Jadeja is one of the best fielders in the world currently.
We are talking about an ATG Asian XI that has batting until no.8 with Wasim already locked in. You need to pick your five best bowlers in tests especially then.

It is just your perception that Ashwin is better and do go ahead with that perception. But do not say that Ashwin is clearly better than Jadeja.
Leave aside the fact that Ashwin takes 6 wickets a test at home at an excellent SR for a spinner, his level of skill and intelligence on home wickets in setting up batsmen is second to only Murali. Jadeja is very accurate in putting it in the right areas but a half point average difference doesn't mean he is a better home bowler.

subshakerz

International Coach
My best Asian ODI team is

Sachin Tendulkar
Sanath Jayasuriya
Zaheer Abbas
Virat Kohli
Yuvraj Singh
MS Dhoni
Imran Khan
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Muralitharan

Babar Azam, Rohit, Saqlain, Malinga, Shakib, Afridi, Anwar, Aravinda all hard done by and get into the second team.
Jayasuria over Rohit and Yuvi over Babar doesn't make sense to me.

Zinzan

1 Gavaskar
2 Hanif
3 Dravid
4 Tendulkar
5 Miandad
6 Sanga +
7 Jadeja
8 Imran *
9 Wasim
10 Murali
11 Waqar

So quite similar to the OP. Kapil very stiff to miss out but the second spinner adds more IMO.

I considered Ashwin ahead of Jadeja because Imran-Wasim-Ashwin is still a perfectly good 7-9... but having the second spinner turn it the other way to Murali seemed like a good idea, so as is often the case the answer is Jadeja.
Agree in the main, but what's your justification for Hanif over Sehwag? Isn't there an argument that Hanif and Gavaskar together might be too samey & a little too slow scoring?

subshakerz

International Coach
I dunno about Babar at 5, he's not that suited to it, and it also means Sachin is the 6th bowler. I'd think about getting Shakib in for him.

Rest is spot on IMO.
Shakib is my 12th man and I would play him in the SC instead of Imran or Kapil. You already then have five high quality bowlers and Sachin only needs an extra over or two.

Babar is already the best ODI batsmen over for Pakistan IMO and he and Kohli can play in any middle order position. I don't mind Kohli at 5 either to complete chases.

OverratedSanity

Agree in the main, but what's your justification for Hanif over Sehwag? Isn't there an argument that Hanif and Gavaskar together might be too samey & a little too slow scoring?
Gavaskar could score pretty quickly when required. He has quite a few very rapid innings against good attacks when he opened himself up. Obviously he wasnt Sehwag but he wasn't a Boycott either.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Shakib is my 12th man and I would play him in the SC instead of Imran or Kapil. You already then have five high quality bowlers and Sachin only needs an extra over or two.

Babar is already the best ODI batsmen over for Pakistan IMO and he and Kohli can play in any middle order position. I don't mind Kohli at 5 either to complete chases.
I still think Zaheer was better but I'll probably rate Babar higher by the time he retires. I'd move Kohli to 5 if I was going to play both, I don't think it suits Babar to come in that low.

Zinzan

Gavaskar could score pretty quickly when required. He has quite a few very rapid innings against good attacks when he opened himself up. Obviously he wasnt Sehwag but he wasn't a Boycott either.
Yeah, I know he was capable of it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Agree in the main, but what's your justification for Hanif over Sehwag?
I just think he was better. More runs is ultimately going to matter a lot more than funky differentiation from the other opener IMO, and yeah as OS said Gavaskar was actually a pretty attacking opener for his time anyway (in Tests at least - inb4 36*)