• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah I think it's got a lot to do with him being touted as one of the best mids in the comp in his first season when he basically could run around untouched because Ablett, Bartel, Corey, Chapman etc were all doing to business.
Agree the calls of him being one of the best midfielders in 2007 was overrating him.
Because (along with many others) he ducks into every single tackle, and seems to con the umpire more often than not that he deserves a free kick. That, and as Smith said, his reputation given he isn't tagged as heavily as others in that side.
Nah he's a legend: YouTube - Joel Selwood Mark of the Day

He ducks into it, but that doesn't make it not a free kick. You're still ringing his neck FFS.

And he's been getting tagged since 2008.

He's tagged more than Corey and Chapman. At times Bartel too.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Sad to see Lloyd go, one of the more likable Essendon players. Was at an Essendon WC game a few years back when he kicked 10 goals, was brilliant that day.

Pup_23

School Boy/Girl Captain
Brock Mclean off to Carlton for pick 11 according to all media (Even club websites)

Looks like it could be the end for Nick Stevens also.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
  • Ridding themselves of a culture problem. McLean's had a number of club imposed suspensions, despite being given leadership positions
  • Getting themselves pick 11 allows them to be able to trade picks 18 and/or 11 for a key position player, whilst getting themselves the best two midfielders in the draft with picks 1 and 2.

pasag

RTDAS
  • Ridding themselves of a culture problem. McLean's had a number of club imposed suspensions, despite being given leadership positions
  • Getting themselves pick 11 allows them to be able to trade picks 18 and/or 11 for a key position player, whilst getting themselves the best two midfielders in the draft with picks 1 and 2.
ie not that much :p

How's the nerves?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
ie not that much :p

How's the nerves?
OK, really. I've got my sister's 21st on Friday night, so everything's all about that, plus the two assignments I have due on Monday. The family have four tickets to the Grand Final, but I miss out because I'm supposedly bad luck, 0-4 at Grand Finals.

Pup_23

School Boy/Girl Captain
Or Shaun Burgoyne.

There has to be more than meets the eye here because this was Mcleans decision, This was a man who has told anyone who will listen about his love for the club and also was the player who donated 10K out of his own pocket to support the club.

To be honest i think it will be a win/win for both clubs. McLean should flourish alongside Judd. Murphy and Gibbs and Melbourne have themselves a potential bargaining chip for an experienced player or worse case another top 12 pick.

Interesting times ahead.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There's no way Melbourne will effectively get rid of a 23 year old midfielder for a 27 year old midfielder. It'll be pre-season draft or nothing for the Dees; Burgoyne is only playing his cards right and putting pressure on Port Adelaide by naming Melbourne as a preferred destination, ensuring that Port gets a deal done, otherwise they can lose him for nothing.

Melbourne will attempt to get as many picks in the last pure draft before the GC. Unless they're mad.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Seriously, how the **** can Carlton afford all of this? They either have some players very keen to play for the club regardless of how little they can be paid, or a boatload of 'environmental spokesperson' jobs being handed out.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Are there any St Kilda fans on CW? Seem an oddly under-supported team on here.

Will be backing Geelong in my quarter-arsed way; can't endorse any team Shane Warne barracks for. See also Ponting & North Melbourne.

Last edited:

Redbacks

International Captain
Seriously, how the **** can Carlton afford all of this? They either have some players very keen to play for the club regardless of how little they can be paid, or a boatload of 'environmental spokesperson' jobs being handed out.
if stevens goes then the wages will be covered. Mclean getting the ball to Murphy and Gibbs would be great as he is a poor user of the ball.

Redbacks

International Captain
There's no way Melbourne will effectively get rid of a 23 year old midfielder for a 27 year old midfielder. It'll be pre-season draft or nothing for the Dees; Burgoyne is only playing his cards right and putting pressure on Port Adelaide by naming Melbourne as a preferred destination, ensuring that Port gets a deal done, otherwise they can lose him for nothing.

Melbourne will attempt to get as many picks in the last pure draft before the GC. Unless they're mad.
They can't afford to be **** for 3-4 years in a row. Dean Bailey deserves a chance to coach a side for success rather than constant tanking

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
They can't afford to be **** for 3-4 years in a row. Dean Bailey deserves a chance to coach a side for success rather than constant tanking
Are you telling me that the Melbourne fans expect them to be challenging for the 8 next year? They're still getting rid of dead wood off their list now. They don't have anyone between 24 and 28 of any worth, there's an enormous black hole in the list. Adding Burgoyne is useless, he won't be there when they'll be consistently competitive.

2011 would be their aim to do what Essendon did this year, and begin surprising the public, but 2012 is when their core should be pushing upwards.

Last edited:

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Melbourne's forward line should be a lot better next year, with a proper pre-season into Watts and Jurrah. Jurrah should be awesome next year. Aaron Davey, Burgoyne, plus a few good games out of their picks one and two. They weren't horrible at all in the second half of this year - I reckon they won't make the eight, but they'll be well up off the bottom of the ladder next year.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Carlton get McLean they will ****ing dominate.

The guy has potential there. 2007-09 have been disappointing, yes, but Jeez he'll flourish with Judd in the same team.

Status
Not open for further replies.