• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2023–24 NZ women's summer

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
It should've never been that close (for either side).

That now means the WFs need 3/9 vs England, India & Australia to be somewhat safe. Not getting swept for a 4th consecutive Rose Bowl would be great.

tony p

State Regular
Kerr's had a fantastic game overall, but she's had a shocker of a super over - conceding 11 and then getting out first ball.
I hope her back is good, as I fear she will be carrying this side for about 10 years once Devine & Bates retire.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know much about PJ Watkins (English import, I think?), but she bowled superbly for 4-28 on Super Smash debut for Otago today. Might be one to watch.

Plimmer's holding things together for Wellington with 39*.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Yeah, I was quite impressed with her too. Another one to keep an eye on.

Interesting little game in the end - felt a bit closer than the final score might suggest, and they may have struggled to get there without Rowe's cool-headed 30-odd.

ataraxia

International Coach
Just saw the tail-end of today's game, but I liked the little induckers from Carol Agafili. I see she also scored 22 off 12 when batting so hopefully something to work with there.
She looked a very powerful batter (which is really really useful in the women's game).

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cool. We definitely need to create some depth as it still looks to me that there's a lot of filler in the Super Smash. I see Agafili has a background in Kilikiti. I used to see a lot of Kilikiti played around Lower Hutt - hardly see any now, which is a shame. It's a demographic that cricket in New Zealand has failed to accommodate somehow. Similarly, there used to be a Tokelau Lower Hutt Cricket Club, but it appears to be defunct now.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Cool. We definitely need to create some depth as it still looks to me that there's a lot of filler in the Super Smash. I see Agafili has a background in Kilikiti. I used to see a lot of Kilikiti played around Lower Hutt - hardly see any now, which is a shame. It's a demographic that cricket in New Zealand has failed to accommodate somehow. Similarly, there used to be a Tokelau Lower Hutt Cricket Club, but it appears to be defunct now.
I got my highest ever score against Tokelau back in the day, I liked to think of it as an international match.

_Ed_

Watkins continued her promising start to her career with 2-8 today.

_Ed_

Marama Downes looks like another pretty decent prospect with the ball. Touch wood, it seems like we've got some reasonable talent on the way through to the White Ferns.

Nice to see today's Super Smash games are down in Palmy. Seems like there's a reasonable crowd.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Marama Downes looks like another pretty decent prospect with the ball. Touch wood, it seems like we've got some reasonable talent on the way through to the White Ferns.

Nice to see today's Super Smash games are down in Palmy. Seems like there's a reasonable crowd.
Yeah Downes looked good the other day too.

I went to Palmy when the Firebirds played there last year. Not the largest embankment area for watching, but a nice little stand and a fun watch in what is really a community park. Worst hayfever I've ever experienced though!

_Ed_

Katey Martin had a pretty outstanding commentator's curse today. "Amelia Kerr has a ton in her sights." The very next ball, she was out stumped for 88.

Martin also praised the miserly bowling of Kasperek just before Bates hit her for two fours in an over, so it was a bit of a rough day.

_Ed_

After yesterday's three washouts, it's nice to have a game starting now, albeit only 15 overs a side.

And wow, that's a great ball from Fatima Sana to get a wicket in the first over.

EDIT: ...and now it's raining again.

Last edited:

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
It's probably a round or two too early, but I'm struggling to see where the teams stand.
  • The Blaze, well, they're the Blaze, so you expect them to take one of the finals spots.
  • The Hearts have had 2 washouts, so we haven't seen them with their WFs. I have a feeling they could be a dark horse, but we just haven't seen enough of them to be sure.
  • The Magicians, they're defending champs, but they've now lost 2 on the trot.
  • The Hinds, they've got 3 wins, but 2 of them are against the Brave. A bit early for a Hinds Hype Train
  • The Sparks, they're good enough to fight for a finals spot, their bowling is decent, but the batting excluding Bates is a bit inconsistent
  • The Brave, well, Chamari's on her way. There's something to work with, but getting it to click, that's the issue
If the eventual finalists don't pull away in the next few rounds, it might be a melee for at least 3rd place.