• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Aus vs India, Adelaide oval 17th-21st December

Spark

Global Moderator
it's pretty clear to me that aus got the tempo of their innings entirely wrong, whether by choice or whether by rust. there's cautious and then there's passive, and aus were well and truly into the latter.

veganbob

U19 Captain
Worried about Virat leaving though. His runs were so unbelievably crucial.

Good innings but pujara can go big U reckon. I dunno , I feel Aussie are scared of India lol. And they seem mentally weak .. just like at cwc semi when they completely threw in the towel.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it's pretty clear to me that aus got the tempo of their innings entirely wrong, whether by choice or whether by rust. there's cautious and then there's passive, and aus were well and truly into the latter.
Reckon a lot of it is down to skill/form, like I think Burns and Wade were too passive because they plain weren't good enough.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Today just underlined how badly Australia missed Warner. In home conditions I reckon he's more pivotal than Smith.

It's not just that Warner's record in home Tests has been outstanding over many years, but it's the manner he does it. With his aggressive stroke play and purposeful running between wickets he sets the tone for the innings.

In contrast, Wade and Burns were timid and barely managed a quick single between them and their negativity set the tone for the innings.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Could it be possible that Indian bowlers did force Aus to adopt that approach, like Paine said ?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia's batting was pretty woeful. Too many soft dismissals. And I think the passivity was what lead to it. When the batsmen did decide to go for a shot they didn't play them with the conviction they should have. Head and Green in particular the their wickets away.

Ironic that there were so many dropped chances by India but they took so many soft wickets.

Really though, 200 is inexcusable for any Australian side at home in the first innings. It's not 60ao bad, but it's still way below what we expect from our batsmen.

If we lose this series Langer should be moved on. Losing not one but two home series against India should be career ending when you have such a good bowling attack available.

cnerd123

likes this
Pujara at one point had 28 off 140 balls without a boundary, and India's run rate did not cross 2 until the 55th over or something

I don't think Australia's approach was wrong. It was just that when they chose to play aggressively, they often did so poorly. Most of the wickets were not particularly great balls, just poor shot selection or execution.

Spark

Global Moderator
Could it be possible that Indian bowlers did force Aus to adopt that approach, like Paine said ?
test standard batsmen shouldn't merely be "forced". they should proactively try and change the rhythm and tempo of the game so the bowlers don't simply dictate terms at will.

probably the answer is a mixture of "not good enough" and "lacking good match practice" but that was not a good exhibition of how to properly place a price on your wicket there today. you gotta try and score some runs.

Burgey

Not enough intent...
correct. One ball out of the first 48 was hitting the stumps and the openers took what, six or so overs to score a run? That’s a poor approach by any measure. Allows bowlers to settle too easily.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I know Virat/Ravi have a bizarre selection policy and have made so total blunders (Dropping Bhuvi in SA immediately stands out). But is opening with a completely out-of-form batsman in a pink ball test, also with a glaring technical weakness, the worst of them all?

cnerd123

likes this
correct. One ball out of the first 48 was hitting the stumps and the openers took what, six or so overs to score a run? That’s a poor approach by any measure. Allows bowlers to settle too easily.
India did literally the same thing in the 1st innings wtf

Lack of intent wasn't the problem. If anything they didn't apply themselves enough.

In a way it's good that India's lower order batted the way they did. They wanted to preserve their energy to bowl really well all day.

Great test match so far.

DriveClub

International Regular
I know Virat/Ravi have a bizarre selection policy and have made so total blunders (Dropping Bhuvi in SA immediately stands out). But is opening with a completely out-of-form batsman in a pink ball test, also with a glaring technical weakness, the worst of them all?
It's definitely up there, a brain dead decision which has brought in a lot of uncertainty. They have no option but to back him for the 2nd test since rohit is available for the 3rd test so if they replace shaw with gill for the 2nd test then they have to drop gill again for rohit in the 3rd test.

Burgey

India did literally the same thing in the 1st innings wtf

Lack of intent wasn't the problem. If anything they didn't apply themselves enough.

In a way it's good that India's lower order batted the way they did. They wanted to preserve their energy to bowl really well all day.

Great test match so far.
you’re manifestly wrong about this and plainly didn’t watch the innings today at all.