• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

13 overrated players of the last 20 odd years

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But the way he is hyped, you'd think he bowls like Imran and bats like Sobers......
He's right up there with Imran's speed right now, though. That's about where the comparison ends. :)

howardj

International Coach
aussie said:
i dont think its fair to say Hussey is over-rated......
Not in ODI's he is not. Im more referring to FC cricket however, and the suggestion that he should be in the Test Match side. It's not on, and I will not rest until Hussey is exposed as the FC / Test Match fraud that he is! :p

howardj

International Coach
Oh, and the King of the over-rated is Stephen Fleming. Man, hasnt he dined out on that rain-marred, drawn series in Australia in 2001/02. Furthermore, as a batsman, he has a sub 40 average. Despite these things, people talk about him as though he is cricket royalty.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
howardj said:
Oh, and the King of the over-rated is Stephen Fleming. Man, hasnt he dined out on that rain-marred, drawn series in Australia in 2001/02. Furthermore, as a batsman, he has a sub 40 average. Despite these things, people talk about him as though he is cricket royalty.
yes...seriously considered including him....but then decided nobody really rated him too highly in the first place.

As for his captaincy....he is highly regarded as an excellent captain mainly because a few slightly unorthodox fielding positions have come off.....hardly makes a great captain in my opinion. Overrated?

Having said that though....I quite like the bloke having met him once so he's off the list.

Mr Mxyzptlk

C_C said:
Flintoff is overrated.
He is a decent allrounder currently and i would put him in the same bracket as Chris Cairns, atleast as far as Tests go and a couple of notches below Botham/Hadlee/Kapil Dev/Vinoo Mankad/Tony Greig.

He has a long way to go to match some of the great allrounders in the game - Imran Khan, Sobers, Keith Miller, etc, let alone Sobers.
And none of them retired at the age of 27...

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Over-Rated
- Darren Lehmann
- Damien Martyn
- Sean Pollock
- Sachin Tendulkar
- Chaminda Vaas
- Inzimam Ul-Haq

Underrated
- Adam Gilchrist
- Michael Bevan
- Shoaib Akhtar (there's always been a big question mark over him being a world top 5 bowler when in my opinion he is)
- VVS Laxman
- Chanderpaul
- Vettori

Last edited:

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Fred

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
And none of them retired at the age of 27...
He had an ordinary ODI super series (with the ball anyway).....admittedly he was still p!ssed and was batting in hopeless situations due to the failings of his teammates.
I'll reserve judgement until after the test match and then next years ashes as to whether or not he can perform in Aus.

howardj

International Coach
With Flintoff, it's just the way the media is - way over the top. Nobody in the world can live up to the hype of whoever the media darling is at any one point in time. Doesnt mean that he's not a terrific cricketer though.

C_C

International Captain
Slats4ever said:
Over-Rated
- Darren Lehmann
- Damien Martyn
- Sean Pollock
- Sachin Tendulkar
- Chaminda Vaas
- Inzimam Ul-Haq

Underrated
- Adam Gilchrist
- Michael Bevan
- Shoaib Akhtar (there's always been a big question mark over him being a world top 5 bowler when in my opinion he is)
- VVS Laxman
- Chanderpaul
- Vettori
I dont think Gillchrist is underrated but agree with most of yer picks. Tendulkar is underrated on this board if anything.

tooextracool

International Coach
Sachin tendulkar
Matthew Hayden
Shoaib Akhtar
Aravinda Desilva
Yousuf Youhana
Inzamam Ul Haq
Chris Gayle
Ramnaresh Sarwan
James Anderson
Matthew Hoggard
Marcus Trescothick
Shaun Tait
Stuart Macgill
Shane Watson
Irfan Pathan
Ricky Ponting
Justin Langer
Nathan Bracken
Andrew Symonds
Graeme Hick
Shaun Pollock
Makhaya Ntini
Harbhajan Singh

and those are just the first few that come to mind.....

Mr Mxyzptlk

sqwerty said:
He had an ordinary ODI super series (with the ball anyway).....admittedly he was still p!ssed and was batting in hopeless situations due to the failings of his teammates.
I'll reserve judgement until after the test match and then next years ashes as to whether or not he can perform in Aus.
Flintoff just came out of the most intense and exhausting series he may ever play. The last thing he wants to do right now is play an exhibition series. Consider that he heads to Pakistan immediately after too. Give the guy a break!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
C_C said:
I dont think Gillchrist is underrated but agree with most of yer picks. Tendulkar is underrated on this board if anything.
Yeah I agree, Gilly ain't underrated in either form. Tendulkar is only underrated by a few members of the board, and its a case of the desire to go against the tide and popular view. The attention and praise he has received for the past decade+ results in this. That and the fact that his most difficult period of his career has come in the last two and a half years so his struggles are in people's most recent memory.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Flintoff just came out of the most intense and exhausting series he may ever play. The last thing he wants to do right now is play an exhibition series. Consider that he heads to Pakistan immediately after too. Give the guy a break!
However hard it was for Freddie......it was harder for the Aussies.

Mr Mxyzptlk

sqwerty said:
However hard it was for Freddie......it was harder for the Aussies.
Really? I wasn't aware it was harder for the Australians to lose the Ashes than for the English to win it. Also, I wasn't aware of any Australian who bowled as many overs as Flintoff did, then went in and scored as many runs.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Really? I wasn't aware it was harder for the Australians to lose the Ashes than for the English to win it. Also, I wasn't aware of any Australian who bowled as many overs as Flintoff did, then went in and scored as many runs.
Freddie was at home though

tooextracool

International Coach
howardj said:
To be over-rated, you first must be rated
and people didnt think that anderson would be the next big thing after the 2003 world cup?
almost everyone did, even though he hadnt done anything to suggest that he would be, other than a few decent performances in seam and swing friendly conditions.
in relation to bracken people still believe that he is test class and constantly put him down as though he is a good left arm bowler, when he is in fact rubbish.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Top_Cat said:
That's not fair on Kat, though is it? In the last year, he's batted every position in the order BAR opening and I honestly think it's part of why he's not really cemented his spot; being shuffled up and down the batting order does little to settle a player into a team.

Anyway, you only have to look at Kat's nervous prods outside off-stump to Flintoff and Harmison to see why he should never open the batting in Tests.

Australia has tried experimenting with make-shift openers in the past and it's risky. Rarely comes off in fact. Justin Langer is one very rare (and excellent, it has to be said) exception. But then he has that 'full face of the bat to the bowler' technique whereas I don't think Kat plays quite as well in the V, particularly early in his innings.
Well, maybe they had reasons for retaining Hayden. But why was Hayden given 15 tests to redeem himself and Martyn given only 3? That is my point. The selectors seem to think that Hayden is worth more than Martyn and I disagree with that big time.

Slifer

International Captain
Most Overated in my opinion and reasons why i think so:
Dennis Lillee
-Some consider him to be GODs gift to fast bowling, despite his stats being comparable to a whole host of other bowlers. He was a great bowler, others say he was the most complete bowler and this is where I draw the line.

Matthew Hayden
-No comment necessary but the fact that his rise in fame coincided with the departure of some of his former tormentors (Donald, Ambrose etc) is no mere coincidence. He is the quintesential FTB evidence of this can clearly be scene from his underperformance in the recent ashes when confronted by a fairly decent pace attack.

Others include: Vaas, Harmisson, Gayle, Sehwag (in Odi's).

My underated list would be:

Chanderpaul, Justin Langer, Dravid, Youhana, Kumble, Pollock.