• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

13 overrated players of the last 20 odd years

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
Why was Robin Singh overrated Pratyush? I felt he was a very solid performer who was respected by Indian fans because of what he did for the team. He wasn't rated as a great or anything close to one.
The problem with most Indian fans is that they read too much into individual performances and records. Robin Singh's are not too good, though he was a good fit in the Indian side for his batting and bowling, which supported the frontliners very well. Not to mention, he was very fit and very good on the field.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Allan Border stated on Aus TV the other night that Hayden wasnt dropped during the Ashes series because they didnt have another opener on tour and the selectors werent prepared to pull anyone in from outside the squad.

Interestingly, the selectors turned down an offer from Gilchrist to open at the Oval should they drop Hayden.

Above was stated as a fact not an opinion.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jono said:
Why was Robin Singh overrated Pratyush? I felt he was a very solid performer who was respected by Indian fans because of what he did for the team. He wasn't rated as a great or anything close to one.
Arjun said:
The problem with most Indian fans is that they read too much into individual performances and records. Robin Singh's are not too good, though he was a good fit in the Indian side for his batting and bowling, which supported the frontliners very well. Not to mention, he was very fit and very good on the field.
That is a harsh generalisation of the Indian fan and it is the same with most fans not just the Indian fan. Stats tell only half the story but it will be sufficient to prove my case:

Robin Singh has a one day average of 26 with a strike rate of 74 - not the greatest strike rate considering where he came to bat. But not totally poor. It can be categorised as an average strike rate. Add to that the average of 26, and we have a batsman who is not satisfactory.

The common arguement is Singh could ball. Well he has an average of 43 and an economy of 4.8.

Tendulkar has an average of 43 and economy of 5. Ganguly has an average of 37 and economy of 5.

So really Robin Singh was not that great a one day bowler he is made out to be. Tendulkar and Ganguly could easily do the job Singh had to do bowling 10 overs as an alternative to Singh.

So we have a batsman with an average of 26 with bowling capabilities which could be filled by other players in the side.

The fielding of Singh was good but it did not make up for his less than satisfactory batting or bowling.

Now tell me, why should we not have had a player with better batting capabilities in place of the nothing player - Robin Singh? Many regarded Singh as a good all rounder - just what India needed but I did not find any logic in it.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think in a way, it's pretty easy from an Australian point of view to say that Flower was over-rated, as we never got to see the best of him on our shores - he didn't have good any good ODI series over here, and when he came to play with South Australia he had a poor season.

I personally don't think that he is over-rated, not in the slightest.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Courtney Walsh's last 30 Tests:

144 wickets @ 20.97
Econ: 2.26
SR: 55.50
5w: 7
10w: 1

He played 8 series in that time and averaged less than 20 in half of them. He took more than 20 wickets in 4 of the series, with a high of 34 wickets in England in 2000. In that series he averaged (wait for it...) 12.82 with an economy rate of 1.97 and SR of 38.8.

Two series later (his final Test series), Walsh took 25 wickets in 5 Tests against South Africa on slow West Indian pitches. He averaged 19.68 with an economy rate of 1.86.

Courtney Walsh was as good as any top bowler and better than most when he retired. If that is over-rated, the West Indies would love to be rated at all.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Courtney Walsh was as good as any top bowler and better than most when he retired. If that is over-rated, the West Indies would love to be rated at all.
That is a fair statement. Walsh was not that good for the length of his career when comparing with the likes of Ambrose and Bishop. However, towards the end, he showed his real greatness. For longevity and for steady improvement in standard Walsh is an inspiration and am model for any fast bowler playing the game today and for the future.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Shane Warne is definitely overrated, but that is not so say he isn't any good. No one could deny that he is one of the best bowlers of his time, and certainly the best legspinner, but when people go on about him being the best bowler ever or better than Murali and McGrath, nearly always without any supporting evidence, things do get irritating.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Interestingly, Daniel Vettori can lay claim to being massively overrated as a Test bowler but massively underrated as a Test batsman, IMO. Just look at his record over the last few years excluding matches against Zimbabwe or Bangla.

The opposite is true of Kallis.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
Shane Warne is definitely overrated, but that is not so say he isn't any good. No one could deny that he is one of the best bowlers of his time, and certainly the best legspinner, but when people go on about him being the best bowler ever or better than Murali and McGrath, nearly always without any supporting evidence, things do get irritating.
I'm not getting into this again, I'm not going to go nto evidence or anything at all, but we always have, and you always rubbish it.

greg

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Courtney Walsh's last 30 Tests:

144 wickets @ 20.97
Econ: 2.26
SR: 55.50
5w: 7
10w: 1

He played 8 series in that time and averaged less than 20 in half of them. He took more than 20 wickets in 4 of the series, with a high of 34 wickets in England in 2000. In that series he averaged (wait for it...) 12.82 with an economy rate of 1.97 and SR of 38.8.

Two series later (his final Test series), Walsh took 25 wickets in 5 Tests against South Africa on slow West Indian pitches. He averaged 19.68 with an economy rate of 1.86.

And this in an era when run rates were beginning to take off - nothing better illustrates the influence that the decline in world bowling standards have had on this trend.

parisa

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Shahid Afridi...he was amazing when he first came into international cricket he created so much wave back then. But now he's still riding on the back of that wave.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Arjun said:
Not too bad- at least he was effective when things were a lot tougher than in Sehwag's time.
Check out the test average of Srikkanth. Below 30 - not really acceptable.

fault of leadership- not to mention Kapil and Prabhakar stayed on too long, keeping him out.
My main problem with Srinath was that he did not learn to pitch the ball up till very late in his career.

Good enough for India, but needs to sharpen his keeping.
Agreed but he is indeed highly over rated ;)

]Worth a try. Did well in England, in seaming conditions, while those who disappointed played for India later on.
Bhandari is nothing special as far as I am concerned and India will do good never to think about playing him in international cricket again.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
a massive zebra said:
but when people go on about him being the best bowler ever or better than Murali and McGrath, nearly always without any supporting evidence, things do get irritating.
well i have never heard anyone say he is better than McGrath plus it would a bit foolish to campare a great leg-spinner to a great fast bowler, and i do believe he is better than Murali & i could put up some valid reason why but i dont want to get into any arguments over Warne & Murali so i'll leave it at that....

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
vic_orthdox said:
I think in a way, it's pretty easy from an Australian point of view to say that Flower was over-rated, as we never got to see the best of him on our shores - he didn't have good any good ODI series over here, and when he came to play with South Australia he had a poor season.

I personally don't think that he is over-rated, not in the slightest.
maybe you're right....but my selections are based on how they were rated as compared to how they performed.

Flower was ranked number 1 in the world....the greatest batsman in the sport (at that time). Better than anyone playing the game....

Unfortunately I never saw it.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Barney Rubble said:
How on earth can Flintoff be over-rated when he's clearly the world's best all-rounder at the moment? You're suggesting he's not - which to be honest, means you don't have the faintest clue of what you're talking about. Add to that the fact you've got Andy Flower in there......... :dontgetit :thumbdown
Like I said...the higher people are pumping you up....the better chance you've got of making the list.

Flintoff's is being hailed a cricketing god....better than Botham etc etc etc............he's had a few good series after an ordinary start and hasn't done much away from home. Yes he was named player of the year and yes he looks good but as far as his status in the game at the moment he's got to be pretty freakin' awesome to live up to the hype. Therefore he's......drumroll..........O V E R R A T E D ....hehe

C_C

International Captain
Flintoff is overrated.
He is a decent allrounder currently and i would put him in the same bracket as Chris Cairns, atleast as far as Tests go and a couple of notches below Botham/Hadlee/Kapil Dev/Vinoo Mankad/Tony Greig.

He has a long way to go to match some of the great allrounders in the game - Imran Khan, Sobers, Keith Miller, etc, let alone Sobers.

But the way he is hyped, you'd think he bowls like Imran and bats like Sobers......