• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of India 2024

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
TBF, NZ have a lead of 200, its nearly lunch on day 3 we've got rain forecasted for parts of day 4 and 5. Declaration batting is the sensible thing to do here.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
India massive favorites now. They should be able to score 500 with ease and even 100 will be near only impossible for us to chase.
No. A 200 run lead is still a massive advantage. The pitch isn't a highway, I think it's about 350 par right now. If NZ bowl well and take their chances they still have a very good chance of winning.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It genuinely pisses me off and it's a clear sign of a fundamental lack of seriousness in a team's mindset when tailenders feel like they have license to do whatever they damn well please even if there's a set batsman at the other end just because they're not "expected" to be able to bat. They're professionals, these days they're all practiced enough with the bat to have a competent defensive game, they should actually play like professionals.
Wahey, well welcome to supporting or watching the New Zealand cricket team, Sparky my boy.

You may remember a guy called Trent Boult, who actually won a Batsman of the Tournament award at our national premier one-day competition. That's the genesis of this approach. Him and Southee, under Baz (who clearly didn't challenge it) from 2013 onwards would slog the living **** out of it, and 'hey that's the way we play', even though both were clearly capable of doing better. Southee's Test batting career is a disgrace (he has a FC 150 and was a proper batsman in age group cricket) but he can say hey, what about my 77 on debut and the one against England last summer? Wags used to bat properly if he had to. Sodhi, too. Even Chris Martin did. Ajaz has his moments, but you won't see O'Rourke do it.

If I was a top order player and the lower order slogged away and left me dry, I'd take their helmet and their head with it when I got back in the sheds.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
TBF, NZ have a lead of 200, its nearly lunch on day 3 we've got rain forecasted for parts of day 4 and 5. Declaration batting is the sensible thing to do here.
Haha, that's not the strategy. This could be day one in Dubai and we'd still be doing the same.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Surprisingly non-idiotic batting from Southee so far today.

Ajaz and O'Rourke have significantly less talent with the bat than Southee and Henry, but typically last a lot longer at the crease because they don't have the shots necessary to bat like dickheads.
Southee has pretty dreadful defense tbh, Henry is better which is why I was particuarly annoyed at his shot.
If Southee had spent the last fifteen years trying to bat properly and turn his acceptable batting talent to good use, that would be another story.

Ajaz has also played some ugly slogs in the wrong situation - the approach permeates the whole tail.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If I was a top order player and the lower order slogged away and left me dry, I'd take their helmet and their head with it when I got back in the sheds.
It's particularly galling when as a perpetual #11 I did everything I could with my very, very limited ability to stay out there as long as possible. Once succeeding for nearly 40 overs for a poorly compiled 7.

Spark

Global Moderator
1/84 is startlingly terrible figures for Kuldeep given the level of scoring in this game and the feeling that actually he's bowled pretty well. They've clearly all gone after him.

Silver Silva

International Regular
Most test runs without a test hundred :

1.Warne - 3154 runs
2.Dickwella - 2757 runs *
3.Southee - 2119 runs *
4.Starc - 2093 runs *
5.Chauhan - 2084 runs

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It's particularly galling when as a perpetual #11 I did everything I could with my very, very limited ability to stay out there as long as possible. Once succeeding for nearly 40 overs for a poorly compiled 7.
Those are the wonderful examples that should be lauded. Geoff Allott's record breaking duck, Danny Morrison with Nathan Astle for the draw in 96 v England, Wags and Sodhi v England etc

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It genuinely pisses me off and it's a clear sign of a fundamental lack of seriousness in a team's mindset when tailenders feel like they have license to do whatever they damn well please even if there's a set batsman at the other end just because they're not "expected" to be able to bat. They're professionals, these days they're all practiced enough with the bat to have a competent defensive game, they should actually play like professionals.
This is a very polite, more nuanced version of the conversation I had with the number 11 from Burgeinho's side two nights ago after he holed out to long off from an off spinner with a set batsman on 35 at the other end last Saturday.

HeathDavisSpeed

Those are the wonderful examples that should be lauded. Geoff Allott's record breaking duck, Danny Morrison with Nathan Astle for the draw in 96 v England, Wags and Sodhi v England etc
The guy at the other end went from 15 to over 100. It was my career batting highlight by far.

Anyway, here's a stat for you:

In innings where he has come to the crease, Southee's mean balls faced is 17.48. The median is 14.

Tells you all you need to know.

Excluding not outs, 17.79 balls.

Already in this innings he has exceeded expectations. Makes a change.

RossTaylorsBox

This is a very polite, more nuanced version of the conversation I had with the number 11 from Burgeinho's side two nights ago after he holed out to long off from an off spinner with a set batsman on 35 at the other end last Saturday.
What was worse, stranding the set batsman or being dismissed by a finger spinner?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India massive favorites now. They should be able to score 500 with ease and even 100 will be near only impossible for us to chase.
This is some of the worst Gambhgiring I've ever seen mate.

Come on, Dawgo. We know who's massively on top in this game from the fact there's barely an Indian supporter to be seen on here and it isn't like the time zone exactly works agasint them.

230 and counting is a massive first innings lead in any test match. There's only one possible winner in this game at this point, especially given the time lost due to weather.