• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2024/25

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Trent's someone who's prone to brainfades. Thats about it. Not an indication that he's a bad defender at a right back position.
What he offers to his team more than makes up for any perceived shortcomings in defense
I think that's a fair summation of the current situation from England's pov. Other might quibble your first sentence, but life's too short imo.
It was a harder call when Walker was at or close to the peak of his powers and was able to do a decent job on the likes of Mbappe and Vinicius Jnr.

Some folks would still take TAA's superior attacking contributions, and others would take the view that Walker's superior defensive skills should be the deciding factor when we're choosing a RB for the national side. We've seen plenty of that on these pages, and no sane person would want to rehash that particular argument. But I would just say that it wasn't madness to prefer peak Walker, even if some people would have chosen TAA instead. And I would readily concede that's not where we're at now, so TAA it is.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Love that they've gone for a "foreigner". So much upset about it already. Wonderful.
Sky are terrible at drumming it up. Why is it only men’s football that has this problem? We’ve had so many successful foreign coaches in other sports, or even the Lionesses!

Hungry Llama

U19 12th Man
Perhaps he will sing it in German. What does Wigman do when the women play Holland?
He is a bit mad though isnt he? His touchline antics, running about, leaping up and down, yelling and screaming are kinda embarrassing for a 51 yrold. Sort of touchline dad who u really wish would stay at home.

Skipper Pup

U19 Vice-Captain
Great appointment. By far the best option available and I'm not even really a Tuchel fan. He's a proven tournament manager and he has the tactical nous to get England over the line in finals, which is probably the most important thing right now with where the squad is at.

That said I can't help but feel there will be plenty praying on his downfall and actively plotting his demise.

Obviously not being English is one thing but being Southgate's successor will be tough to manage, especially with all his mates in the media and Tuchel's naturally abrasive personality. The guy has an ego but his achievements should go some way to quickly getting the respect of the players.

I hope he does well. Very interested to see how he sets the team up and who he selects (or more tellingly doesn't select).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I suppose given you spend less time with players at international level it'll take him longer to fall out with everyone.