• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling All Rounders or Batting All Rounders +

Which is more important to a team

• Total voters

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Then they're a batsman short.

The ashes have ATG batsmen through to 6, with Gilly at 7. The SC has the use Sanga as a keeper, greatly reducing his batting prowess and bat Imran at 7, where his advantage plays way better at 8... All to cover for not having a Hammond or Kallis.

Don't you agree?
Not really. Imran, Jadeja and Wasim more than makes up for any batting shortages in my eyes for a single slot. Again, I want 2 spinners in my SC team, and not of Simpson level; so Jadeja fits that role like a glove.

kyear2

International Coach
Not really. Imran, Jadeja and Wasim more than makes up for any batting shortages in my eyes for a single slot. Again, I want 2 spinners in my SC team, and not of Simpson level; so Jadeja fits that role like a glove.
I genuinely don't know how Jadeja has become this highly rated as a bowler.

How good is he outside of Asia? How good would he be vs these level of batting lineups outside of India? The only place he's got an extended run has been England and he's been horrible.

He's basically Simpson / Hammond / Sobers but with out the batting and catching.

And a tail can't make up for a batsman short at this level, Wasim was basically in the same category as Marshall and Warne as a batsman.

Thala_0710

U19 Debutant
I genuinely don't know how Jadeja has become this highly rated as a bowler.

How good is he outside of Asia? How good would he be vs these level of batting lineups outside of India? The only place he's got an extended run has been England and he's been horrible.

He's basically Simpson / Hammond / Sobers but with out the batting and catching.

And a tail can't make up for a batsman short at this level, Wasim was basically in the same category as Marshall and Warne as a batsman.
He's better than the ones you mentioned in imo. 68 wkts @ 33.5 in 26 games are his stats outside Asia. He would be pretty much a container in the first innings but once the pitch roughs up, would be quite useful later on.
Tend to agree though, his bowling has become overrated lately.

kyear2

International Coach
He's better than the ones you mentioned in imo. 68 wkts @ 33.5 in 26 games are his stats outside Asia. He would be pretty much a container in the first innings but once the pitch roughs up, would be quite useful later on.
Tend to agree though, his bowling has become overrated lately.
And that's aided by playing against us.

kyear2

International Coach
He played on the MCG and SCG but still, they aren't exactly turners. Also I agree on the fact he is overrated. But he's still better than Hammond, Simpson etc
As close as one gets.

And and an over all package they are better.

You had a slot in your team and it was between Jadeja and Hammond and you're choosing Jadeja?

A top 14 batsman and best slip ever and a very useful medium pacer?

Thala_0710

U19 Debutant
As close as one gets.

And and an over all package they are better.

You had a slot in your team and it was between Jadeja and Hammond and you're choosing Jadeja?

A top 14 batsman and best slip ever and a very useful medium pacer?
No no I'm definitely choosing Hammond. I thought you were only comparing their bowling earlier

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pace bowling all rounders > batting all rounders > spin bowling all rounders.

ATG pacers are simply the most consistent match winners in cricket. The value of their primary discipline is so high that they're easily first here .

kyear2

International Coach
Pace bowling all rounders > batting all rounders > spin bowling all rounders.

ATG pacers are simply the most consistent match winners in cricket. The value of their primary discipline is so high that they're easily first here .
Wouldn't argue that, what I will say is that to defend a total, you need a total needs to be set.

As good as South Africa's attack is, the horrible batting line up is a potential barricade to wins, far less dominance. We could have Ambrose and Walsh right now and still not win, not with this these batters.

And that's before one goes into the contribution that 4th / 5th bowlers can make towards the aforementioned effort in bowling out the opposition.

Then there's the not inconsiderate role that the slip fielders play in assisting the bowlers to take those wickets. The cordons that Lillee & Thomson, the Quartet, McWarne, Hadlee, Ambrose & Walsh and Steyn had, played critical roles in their and their teams success.

I'm saying it's not an open and shut case and it's a discussion. Right now I would wish for a Lara before a Walsh if I could add only one to our team.